Opinion Pendles and Steele are Past Their Prime

Remove this Banner Ad

Seriously Dave, this is a pretty ordinary thread. I have barely slept because I just couldn’t get some of yesterday’s images out of my head and this negativity although not abundant is the last thing I believe most posters want right now.

Not having a go mate, but it’s hard to accept after another extremely close result that went against us in a massive final...

Pendles and Sidey are a huge reason we even got to a GF and PF respectively. These guys still have plenty to offer...

Last edited:
Seriously Dave, this is a pretty ordinary thread. I have barely slept because I just couldn’t get some of yesterday’s images out of my head and this negativity although not abundant is the last thing I believe most posters want right now.

Not having a go mate, but it’s hard to accept after another extremely close result that went against us in a massive final...

Pendles and Sidey are a huge reason we even got to a GF and PF respectively. These guys still have plenty to offer...
Its just a bit of foot stomping, door slamming, I hate the world, stuff after a loss

I drink beer

To be fair Wills still did his job today - 16 disposals (7 contested), 12 tackles, 5 clearances, 83% DE in what the AFL website claims is 54% TOG.
16 disposals and 12 tackles tells me he’s second to the ball too often. At a wet day you’d expect some with his frame to rack up possessions s but he’s just not mobile enough and his hands aren’t clean enough.

Yeah they have plenty to offer in more outside roles

16 disposals and 12 tackles tells me he’s second to the ball too often. At a wet day you’d expect some with his frame to rack up possessions s but he’s just not mobile enough and his hands aren’t clean enough.

~50% game time for 16 disposals and 12 tackles....

Heat should be on Treloar, Adams, Sidebottom for the midfield capitulation. Not a B-Grader playing his 15th AFL game.

Agreed.
We need to get DeGoey and Stephenson ready for midfield time.
Also, Tyler and Callum Brown.

I don’t think Stephenson is agile or strong enough to become a mid. He really can’t turn on a dime. He looked almost injured yesterday.

Don’t get me wrong, I think he’s a star in the making but he won’t become a mid for a long time. Just doesn’t seem a natural mid to me.

also needs to learn how to use his pace better.

I don’t think Stephenson is agile or strong enough to become a mid. He really can’t turn on a dime. He looked almost injured yesterday.

Don’t get me wrong, I think he’s a star in the making but he won’t become a mid for a long time. Just doesn’t seem a natural mid to me.

Agree he will never be a midfielder

Yes they are. We need to get others in the middle now. Sier was a big loss, Beams, and De Goey.

We missed Beams and De Goey but Sier refused to Work Hard to play AFL

I never said they are Finished but Espically Pendles they are not the Players they where once.

I been thinking of this for awhile and Maybe should made a Thread earlier about it but not something I just came up yesterdau

Well Stepho looked like a Player lacking Match Fitness.

Him Having a Bye after the VFL and then After our QF Win did not help Stepho Much.

He play well on a Win and Shown in U-18 Level he can Dominate in the Midfield espically late in his 2nd Half of his Draft Season

It's too easy going after those blokes.

Tall foreward
Miho has been very good but he is not the answer on his own, nor is Cox imo. Reid, give me a break.

Coaching tactics.
What was that in the 1st 3 qtrs? Over finessin'.

Midfield.
The younger blokes were soft. Soft. Got bullied around. They love sprinting into space on the outside, not much in the inside grind.

Hubrous.
The general air of conceit was smellable around the club, no matter what anyone says, and the late outs of GWS reinforced it. That the pies didn't hit them hard early after their last meeting was mindless. All this silky stuff in the conditions was madness.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like Wills but he kills the movement of the ball. At stoppages he is stationary and goes to ground too often. He has plenty of tackles because he sits on opposition players at stoppages.
that's his role, stop oppo breaks from stoppages. But hopefully not stop our clearances. Only his first 2 finals ever, you can't just dismiss him based on that.

Stephenson baffles me. He is supposed to be super quick but never runs away from his man. He gets shut down way to easily with the ball for a guy whose supposed to have elites speed.

Sidebottom needs to play high half forward and kick 40 goals next year. Degoey has to be a 80/20 mid. Beams on the ball and Treloar on wing. Make Sier follow Phillip's all preseason.

Pendles cant be Capt next year. Its Adams's time.

I think the club really misread the list post season. Bringing in an ageing player like Beams (who isn’t quick) and losing our 2019 1st round pick.

Of the midfielders that are supposedly gettable, I wonder whether we could make a move on Ollie Wines or one of the Couch brothers. Not sure we have the cap though.

Or we just need to get games next year into Tyler Brown.

We are going to need to be prepared to make big changes to this midfield. To do so, we need to trade players with value.
In what way did the club misread our list? We were a couple of centimetres away from another grand final. How foolish to think a player like Beams who finished 6th in the Brownlow the preceding year would add something to our midfield.

Stephenson baffles me. He is supposed to be super quick but never runs away from his man. He gets shut down way to easily with the ball for a guy whose supposed to have elites speed.

Sidebottom needs to play high half forward and kick 40 goals next year. Degoey has to be a 80/20 mid. Beams on the ball and Treloar on wing. Make Sier follow Phillip's all preseason.

Pendles cant be Capt next year. Its Adams's time.

Very interesting observation. I have noticed the same thing. When Saad gets it, a player can be breathing down his neck and he simply switches on the back burners and leaves them clutching at thin air. Stevo doesn't do that. There was a moment in the last term when Sidey floated a handpass to him in front of the members stand and Stevo ran onto it but was immediately tackled and wrapped up. Ricky Barham is another who used to take off and leave blokes behind him. I have observed the same with Stevo's chasing. He rarely runs down players from behind in the way Cyril Rioli and many others have done.

In what way did the club misread our list? We were a couple of centimetres away from another grand final. How foolish to think a player like Beams who finished 6th in the Brownlow the preceding year would add something to our midfield.

Yes good point. Although over the course of the year I’m not sure we were really a kick away from being the best team in the comp.

We had an easier draw. We didn’t have many wins against top 8 teams. We beat Richmond in a prelim who were a better team than us all year (3 wins +% higher) it was a very even comp and Hawthorn were in the top 4 and Melbourne made the prelim.

Were we just 1 experienced midfielder away from being 2019 premiers? Maybe given how the season planned out a fit Beams could have been the difference. But we went ‘all in’ with Beams. We rolled the dice and it didn’t work. Plenty of teams have done it. Not sure whether those clubs that were successful (Hawthorn is the only one I can think of), actually went out and paid such a high price to bring these guys in.

We tried to ‘pinch’ one after our first foray into finals for quite a few years. Hasn’t worked. Hopefully we can improve the list for 2020 in the offseason, because the challengers are coming and they have excellent young kids and greater capacity to improve their list pre-draft.

Last 2 seasons in our final game of the year and only losing by under a goal in both and Steele has been invisible. More disappointed in him then Pendles. Steele has gone missing when we really really needed him. If he stood up a bit we most likely would've won those 2 close games.

Last 2 seasons in our final game of the year and only losing by under a goal in both and Steele has been invisible. More disappointed in him then Pendles. Steele has gone missing when we really really needed him. If he stood up a bit we most likely would've won those 2 close games.

Ultimately there's a reason why opposition teams put so much effort into running with Pendles and Sidey. They're our two best users, our most damaging mids and if you take them out of the game our entries inside 50 become really scattered. I like Treloar, but he doesn't do the damage of either Pendles or Sidey. I love Adams, particularly finals Adams, but he still isn't the guy I want breaking free with ball in hand. Wills does his job well, but I'm not expecting him to git up a forward lace out.

This is where DeGoey becomes our most important player going forward. He is our Dangerfield, our Martin, our Cripps our fully fledged out and out superstar that we need at every centre bounce. Elite combination of speed, strength and that undeniable X factor that every team yearns for, that can grab a game by the scruff of the neck and make everyone around him better. If DeGoey plays 70% midfield time, we're not talking about how Pendles and Sidey look like their past it.. we'd be talking about how those blokes are getting 25 touches away from the contest and how they run the best midfield in the comp.

I thought he was fantastic in the last quarter and he was a driving force behind our comeback. I was at ground level and He busted a gut trying to win the pill. He drove us inside fifty a number of times in that frantic final 15 minutes. It really grates on my nerves when Pendles and Sidey have a less than dominant game and people are all over them. Pendles was heavily tagged by the best in the business and still had 18 possessions and again stood up in the final term. Cotchin runs tag free in the midfield on Friday night and gets 14 possessions for the game. This warrants Mark Robinson focusing on one tackle he applied in the third term which was apparenty the turning point in the game. :rolleyes: That bloke is untouchable in the eyes of the media. He does a regulation tap on to a teammate and Carey and co rant about him for the next ten minutes. Sidey and Pendles both got more possessions (Pendles with a tight tag) and they get bagged for poor games. Malthouse even had a not so subtle dig at Sidey in his article today.

As a side issue, it surprises me that Malthouse got so much love from his players. He was so quick to throw them under the bus. In 2003 he played Jason Cloke at full forward and after the game told the press Cloke played a better game in 2002-which he missed due to suspension. In 2011 it was Swan's turn to be blamed. He said something like-it's not my fault if our Brownlow medalist doesn't get a possession in the last quarter of a grand final. Bucks is far more loyal and protective of his men.

I thought he was fantastic in the last quarter and he was a driving force behind our comeback. I was at ground level and He busted a gut trying to win the pill. He drove us inside fifty a number of times in that frantic final 15 minutes. It really grates on my nerves when Pendles and Sidey have a less than dominant game and people are all over them. Pendles was heavily tagged by the best in the business and still had 18 possessions and again stood up in the final term. Cotchin runs tag free in the midfield on Friday night and gets 14 possessions for the game. This warrants Mark Robinson focusing on one tackle he applied in the third term which was apparenty the turning point in the game. :rolleyes: That bloke is untouchable in the eyes of the media. He does a regulation tap on to a teammate and Carey and co rant about him for the next ten minutes. Sidey and Pendles both got more possessions (Pendles with a tight tag) and they get bagged for poor games. Malthouse even had a not so subtle dig at Sidey in his article today.

As a side issue, it surprises me that Malthouse got so much love from his players. He was so quick to throw them under the bus. In 2003 he played Jason Cloke at full forward and after the game told the press Cloke played a better game in 2002-which he missed due to suspension. In 2011 it was Swan's turn to be blamed. He said something like-it's not my fault if our Brownlow medalist doesn't get a possession in the last quarter of a grand final. Bucks is far more loyal and protective of his men.
Substitute the club and the names and you have every board on footy social media.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back