Coach Chris Scott re-signs to 2022 (aka the Chris Scott discussion Part IV)

Do you support Scott coaching from 2020 onwards?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We'll look back with fondness on our days of at least making finals when Scott leaves the next coach with a team of geriatrics and no-hopers.

Can't believe Scott was handed a further 4year contract. 4 YEARS!!!!
Never held accountable for his mistakes, never admits his mistakes, and then tells us we should be satisfied all over again.
That's ok for him.

Relax all, Scott quoted as saying, " l'm sure when we all look back we'll all come to the conclusion we've had a pretty good year."
So there you go the coach has spoken.
It's all good! Lol!

Get your point that we don't want to be a club with a near enough is good enough attitude. On the flip side we have to be realistic in the sense that out of 18 clubs we came 4th. Being number 1 out of 18 is not easy.

Last edited:

Totally understand what your saying however there was a reason for the move that we are not aware of. I am also working on the assumption that Scott is being held accountable to someone as all coaches should.

I keep comming back to the point that I think we have the 3rd or 4th best list, it's about 4 goals off being premiership material. The fact that we made a prelim and lost be 3 goals with no Duncan and Hawkins suggest Scott Got more calls right than wrong.

I will repeat Scott must be answerable for these decisions to someone at the club.

Can anyone put forward any semblance of justification for the Blitz move? Would be interested to hear it.

And Carter's recent comments suggest that Scott is being granted immunity from any criticism at all.

With the players Geel has got i think it is a pretty good year

If you look at the 3rd qtr again ( which i have a couple of times ) - Richmonds 1st goal - outstanding goal with Lynch kicking - now you could have had Dustin Fletcher - Silvagni - Geoff Southby - take your pick at FB - wouldnt have done you any good - that was unstoppable - outstanding goal - so what is it to do with Chris Scott

The trouble with alot of Big Footy posters - is they will not acknowledge how outstanding an opposition team is - probably because of jealousy or whatever

And Richmond is an outstanding team - and they have got that kamikaze pace which no other flag winning team has had - awfully hard to stop that

Geelong lost by 3 goals - alot of teams would have got flogged by 12 goals and plus

If Geel keep playing like they did against the Eagles and the Tigers - then they have got a reasonable future

As Blight said recently re West Coast 92 and 94 ( outstanding teams ) some times you just have to doff your cap and say yep their too good - but illogical;Big Footy posters wont

As

Mate one week it's Stanley the next it's Blicavs but worse again he had plenty of time to recognize the threat before Lynch got accurate.
Think l posted 3 times fgs move Blitz you could see he was about to dominate but Scott did nothing at all.
I mean does he have any clue at all?
Why should l or anyone be happy with what he did?

Last edited:
I have no idea, so unless the club or coach comes out and states why they did it then for me personally I will always see it as one of the moves which cost us a GF spot.

If they want to keep it in house and don't care what people like me think then that's up to them.

Understand. What's more important is to me is that Scott is answerable to someone at the club for these decisions.

Ultimately the buck stops with Cook. If Scott dosent answer directly to cook than the person he answers to should.

So....... Scott is saying we'll all come to conclude we had a good season, whilst Buckley is 'lamenting a wasted season'.

Shows the different mindset.

One is hungry.
Maybe one has more money though and the football side of things doesn't have to be part of the business.
I bet you if you look at who spent the most out of the soft cap this year we'd be near or probably at the bottom of the top 8 teams.
Shows we are not existing to win flags or going all out, more so going for great value to keep bums on those KP season seats, keeping sponsors happy with Friday night games and a couple of finals.
So depending if you think the football dept should be part of the club's buisness model (I don't, I think its a bit of a scam) it can be another good win for the club.
If your going all out for a flag, sending DeGoey to Germany etc, really wanting it, then it's a real disappointment.
In some ways I feel bad for CS cause our whole direction does not all come from him, it's buisness based and he facilitates it well.
It's great for keeping your job, and the club will always back you up but you also have to be part of it, not just coaching but also a salesman speaking bullshit about being better next year etc.
Keep the bums on those KP reserve seats.

Get your point that we don't want to be a club with a near enough is good enough attitude. On the flip side we have to be realistic in the sense that out of 28 clubs we came 4th. Being number 1 out of 18 is not easy.

After round 12 we were about mid table. so What happened!!!
I'll tell you what happened, Scott started fiddling with the team especially Stanley and Blicavs, forwards, that's why we were 50/50 after that.
He couldn't make up his mind what he wanted.

Maybe one has more money though and the football side of things doesn't have to be part of the business.
I bet you if you look at who spent the most out of the soft cap this year we'd be near or probably at the bottom of the top 8 teams.
Shows we are not existing to win flags or going all out, more so going for great value to keep bums on those KP season seats, keeping sponsors happy with Friday night games and a couple of finals.
So depending if you think the football dept should be part of the club's buisness model (I don't, I think its a bit of a scam) it can be another good win for the club.
If your going all out for a flag, sending DeGoey to Germany etc, really wanting it, then it's a real disappointment.
In some ways I feel bad for CS cause our whole direction does not all come from him, it's buisness based and he facilitates it well.
It's great for keeping your job, and the club will always back you up but you also have to be part of it, not just coaching but also a salesman speaking bulls**t about being better next year etc.
Keep the bums on those KP reserve seats.

I hear you, but I wouldn't mind venturing that winning a GF correlates with more bums on seats the following year.

Obviously that can't be achieved every year, but fans will follow if they see that endeavour being the club's singular focus.

On the flip side, fans get resentful when they're patted on the head and treated like clueless idiots.

Good points.
I see Pies being hampered by injuries and unavailability of their best .
Our issue to me seems that we are not capable of withstanding pressure from teams, many teams, and that has not been erased this finals series.
Any time a team that is able to pressure us with the ball we succumb too easily for a GF team.
Not saying we are no good, but I see us as a 6-12 team, and this year we truly bettered that.

The thing for me is any team will succumb to pressure if it’s immense. Any and every team. It’s the way you respond to that pressure. Richmond had no space, no time and completely no idea in the first half.

Second half our pressure just fell off a cliff for unknown reasons. Ran out of legs? Don’t know but we’ve ran out games bloody well this year.

Last week we applied the heat, it dropped a little and the eagles came back. But we responded with even more pressure in the last quarter.

We are so capable. To be the best you need to truly believe you are the best. We don’t have that confidence. The reasons behind why we don’t have that confidence and belief are the burning questions.

I’ve seen us deal with pressure. Just look back to last week. I just don’t know why we pick and choose when to respond.

Mate one week it's Stanley the next it's Blicavs but worse again he had plenty of time to recognize the threat before Lynch got accurate.
Think l posted 3 times fgs move Blitz you could see he was about to dominate but Scott did nothing at all.
I mean does he have any clue at all?

How did you think the Cats played in the 1st half - i thought it was top shelf - that is the best Geelong has played since 2013

You keep harping on about Lynch - but what about Richmonds midfield in the 3rd qtr ( and im not critical of Geelongs ) - it was simply outstanding - all over the ground - and at speed - the Cats didnt have a chance to blink - they were just too good

Lets see what the margin is in the GF

Relax all, Scott quoted as saying, " l'm sure when we all look back we'll all come to the conclusion we've had a pretty good year."
So there you go the coach has spoken.
It's all good! Lol!
He did say that, but in context, it was about how much we’ve improved from last year. It is quite selective to say that as a stand alone phrase.

He also said: “When the dust settles, we’ll rue the opportunity lost. And look forward to finding a way to improve.” Also... “We were just not good enough.”

Last edited:
How did you think the Cats played in the 1st half - i thought it was top shelf - that is the best Geelong has played since 2013

You keep harping on about Lynch - but what about Richmonds midfield in the 3rd qtr ( and im not critical of Geelongs ) - it was simply outstanding - all over the ground - and at speed - the Cats didnt have a chance to blink - they were just too good

Lets see what the margin is in the GF

I'm harping because Scott did nothing it was so easy to see it was a matter of time.
He kicked 5 goals mate and probably should've kicked 7 or 8.
And you reckon he coached well???
He's the coach the buck stops with him, he's responsible that's why he's on the big bucks.
Can't criticise the coach what a joke!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you look at the 3rd qtr again ( which i have a couple of times ) - Richmonds 1st goal - outstanding goal with Lynch kicking - now you could have had Dustin Fletcher - Silvagni - Geoff Southby - take your pick at FB - wouldnt have done you any good - that was unstoppable - outstanding goal - so what is it to do with Chris Scott

The trouble with alot of Big Footy posters - is they will not acknowledge how outstanding an opposition team is - probably because of jealousy or whatever

And Richmond is an outstanding team - and they have got that kamikaze pace which no other flag winning team has had - awfully hard to stop that

Geelong lost by 3 goals - alot of teams would have got flogged by 12 goals and plus

If Geel keep playing like they did against the Eagles and the Tigers - then they have got a reasonable future

As Blight said recently re West Coast 92 and 94 ( outstanding teams ) some times you just have to doff your cap and say yep their too good - but illogical;Big Footy posters wont

As
Any team who’s played their last 12/13 games on their home ground is going to do well.

But yes they are good.

I hear you, but I wouldn't mind venturing that winning a GF correlates with more bums on seats the following year.

Obviously that can't be achieved every year, but fans will follow if they see that endeavour being the club's singular focus.

On the flip side, fans get resentful when they're patted on the head and treated like clueless idiots.
It probably would. But we only need to sell so many. Actually only so many we can sell.
We'll get plenty of FTA night games next year.
The last bit. Absolutely. But if you listen to the Pres, and CEO, they are all doing it. Not just the coach.
Unfortunately they are now so out of touch they think everyone is a cheersquad type or a ten year old kid.
This year continues to more open the devide between fans and the club.
Some say that we have become entitled etc, but have a look at how differently the club has valued it's fans from say 1999-2006 to say 2014-Now.
It's crazy. Very entitled, just expect the money now.

As

No one is saying that Richmond aren't a good team Billy. All we are saying is that it doesn't take Barassi/Smith/Clarkson to see that Lynch was having the better of Taylor. That he could have been the difference. That IF we made a change it MAY have resulted in a spoil or a different positioning that stopped one or two or even three of their goals. Clearly the midfield was being done after half time. No doubt. But that doesn't mean that you just keep blind faith in the matchups you have down back. A change HAD to be made and WASN'T. To add insult to injury, Blicavs was ineffectual in the position on the wing that he was placed in. SO, WHAT DO YOU RECKON? Maybe, just maybe, the thought "Mmm, this isn't working - let's put Blicavs on Lynch, get maybe Touhy or a runner further up the ground and MAYBE that might work?" Just do something!!!!!!!

It probably would. But we only need to sell so many. Actually only so many we can sell.
We'll get plenty of FTA night games next year.
The last bit. Absolutely. But if you listen to the Pres, and CEO, they are all doing it. Not just the coach.
Unfortunately they are now so out of touch they think everyone is a cheersquad type or a ten year old kid.
This year continues to more open the devide between fans and the club.
Some say that we have become entitled etc, but have a look at how differently the club has valued it's fans from say 1999-2006 to say 2014-Now.
It's crazy. Very entitled, just expect the money now.

Yep, they're blinded by the money, as is the AFL.

The game itself, the fans love for the game, and its integrity, are all secondary considerations now.

We looked good for a while when we had excellent service from Rohan up forward,but with his demise we went for the extra backmen to fill a forward role and lost our way juggling the side around playing players out of position,yes 2E and Hendo were most likely next best 22 to come in but it was at the expense of team balance,easy in hind sight but I wish now we'd have had a good look at Fredie or Constable or even given Buzza one last crack before finals.

As
Likely because, despite the fact that we may all appear equal - this is more to do with the fact that everyone can access the internet. The reality is that we often forget that amongst posters - there is a broad spectrum of understanding, passion, bias and intelligence.

Any team who’s played their last 12/13 games on their home ground is going to do well.

But yes they are good.

I think they are a bit better than good

And if more teams played the style Richmond play - i would be watching a hell of alot more of AFL football - because they do everything at top pace - they dont bugggerize around - they move the ball on at every opportunity - it is exhilirating football

You contrast that to Haw in their 3 peat - Gibson gets it at FB - over to Hodge - then to Birchall - then to Burgoyne - then to Mitchell - 5 little 10 metre passes - whistle - whistle - whistle - whistle - it was as boring as bat shiit

If you got 3-4 teams - playing Richmonds style - with good skill - AFL football would be fantastic to watch

No one is saying that Richmond aren't a good team Billy. All we are saying is that it doesn't take Barassi/Smith/Clarkson to see that Lynch was having the better of Taylor. That he could have been the difference. That IF we made a change it MAY have resulted in a spoil or a different positioning that stopped one or two or even three of their goals. Clearly the midfield was being done after half time. No doubt. But that doesn't mean that you just keep blind faith in the matchups you have down back. A change HAD to be made and WASN'T. To add insult to injury, Blicavs was ineffectual in the position on the wing that he was placed in. SO, WHAT DO YOU RECKON? Maybe, just maybe, the thought "Mmm, this isn't working - let's put Blicavs on Lynch, get maybe Touhy or a runner further up the ground and MAYBE that might work?" Just do something!!!!!!!

How does he get gifted 4 years???

Seriously how many away games did we win this year?
He's very lucky we usually get most of our soft games at KP which generally assures a spot in the 8 to start, he's so overrated it's not funny.
Finals footy always exposes his weaknesses.

True, but decisions like not playing a ruckman against the best in the business, or neutering our best full back at the pointy end of the season by trying to turn him into a ruckman/winger are on Scott surely.

I think they are a bit better than good

And if more teams played the style Richmond play - i would be watching a hell of alot more of AFL football - because they do everything at top pace - they dont bugggerize around - they move the ball on at every opportunity - it is exhilirating football

You contrast that to Haw in their 3 peat - Gibson gets it at FB - over to Hodge - then to Birchall - then to Burgoyne - then to Mitchell - 5 little 10 metre passes - whistle - whistle - whistle - whistle - it was as boring as bat shiit

If you got 3-4 teams - playing Richmonds style - with good skill - AFL football would be fantastic to watch
I think Richmond play a great brand of footy.

Yep, they're blinded by the money, as is the AFL.

The game itself, the fans love for the game, and its integrity, are all secondary considerations now.
Yep they just don't get it. It may bite them in the arse too.
As I said they're just out of touch. The whole KP thing? Kids can't really stand.
Family of 4 your looking at over 200 bucks for the day , (on top of membership) depending on food travel etc. Probably more.
You can go camping for a couple of nights or go to funfields for that.
Go to a Bulldogs home game not an overly expensive day out, easy to get to, everyone gets a seat.

True, but decisions like not playing a ruckman against the best in the business, or neutering our best full back at the pointy end of the season by trying to turn him into a ruckman/winger are on Scott surely.
For sure. But it's not the most annoying thing for me. It's all the bullshit after it that from everyone that makes you know something like this will happen again.
Been happening for ages now. No accountability. So you know no lessons learned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back