Game Day Collingwood v GWS Giants - Preliminary Finals — Sat 21 Sep, 4:35PM AEST, MCG

Who will Win?

• Collingwood by 30+ pts

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Collingwood 10-30

Votes: 48 37.2%
  • Collingwood by <10

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • GWS Giants by <10

Votes: 12 9.3%
  • GWS Giants by 10-30

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • GWS Giants by 30+

Votes: 11 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

As much a I hate the Pies, after watching the Presser of both losing coaches Buckley is all class compared to Scott.
Buckley at least had the courtesy to respond to reporters with some respect and answer questions genuinely.
Miserable Scott on the other hand is an absolute disgrace and used the "to emotional to comment" response treating US and reporters with contempt.

I'd be bloody embarrassed and ashamed to be a Cats supporter.
Not so much shame or embarrassment but more just so over him with all his master coach BS.

I accept Tigers are a better team than Cats, but the loss to Collingwood in the QF was squarely down to the overthought selection and match day rubbish by the coach.

Im not alone at Geelong wanting change

I feel like the Pies were shown up as a poor wet weather team, they simply couldn’t pick the ball up for 3 quarters, is it a coincidence they completely smashed the Giants when it completely dried up late? Don’t think so.

You don’t get the point I was making, only non-Vic supporters understand it.

So what happened in 2015, 2017?
No I got the point you were making. You’re saying it’s unfair.

But haven’t people been saying the crows should’ve hosted Richmond in 17?

Richmond earned two home finals, and had basically no home games for an 8 week stretch. What are they meant to do? Play home games away to appease a whinging crows fan?

If you listen to the commentary, the review actually didn't look at the footage of the touched ball as it was kicked.
They were just looking at the goaline footage.
There is also some comment (not sure if true) that they had different footage than the Ch7 feed which was from a different angle.

What this incident has highlighted is a need to 'review the review'
How far back from the goaline do you take a review?
The goal umpire is the one calling for the review for what has occurred at the goaline to help with his decision - not what has occurred upfield as the ball was kicked, that is under the direct supervision of the field umpire.
What about the other shots on goal that the goal umpire has not called a review on - maybe they are touched as well?
Why don't you review all shots? - obviously because it takes too long.

I'm amused that you argued in your defense of Toby Green about the use of 2 dimensional images in determining whether contact was made.
Yet now you say you can tell by a 2 dimensional image that a ball has been touched (but not someones face by Greene)?
Unless you have a multitude of angles is is difficult to tell if a player has laid a finger on the ball or not as it is being kicked.
Even then it is almost impossible to tell if a player has placed a fingernail on it.

As for the goal.
If you didn't have the review, Maynes goal would have been given and Pendleburys as well.
Pendlebury was unlucky - if the goal umpire didn't ask, the field umpires decision re the kick not being touched would have stood.

Unless you are going to review all shots on goal as they come off the boot the review should really be limited only to the decisions of the goaline umpire who is asking for the clarification. He is not asking for a clarification of the field umpires decision as to whether or not the ball was touched in play.

I mean how far do you take it?
Why not have reviews on marks in the goalsquare - was the kick touched off the boot?
Why not review a step further - say a dubious handpass in play that leads to a winning goal...
Still struggling I see. Have a beer it's after midday.

You are a rude little person. But being rude doesn't make you understand a point that I've made dozens of times over some years !

I like the national competition where it is played by traditional football states, we didn't need two new teams in NSW and QLD.
How many times do you need to be told, has got me .

Of course everyone has to start somewhere, but GWS and GC17 WEREN'T STARTED , THEY WE CREATED MANUFACTURED GIVEN FAVOUR AFTER FAVOUR AND WERE INVENTED FOR MONEY. Grow some common sense and see where I am coming from.

Demetriou and the then Gil boy apprentice, wanted Footscray and North Melbourne to re locate, they wouldn't.
The people who followed them fought like frigging hell to stay alive in their hometown, if they had have caved in and gone where they were asked , they would have brought a culture with them like South and Fitzroy did, and money and a backing from the AFL the common people/fans/followers/members put their own money in too

!And hear this!
THERE'D BE ONLY 16 TEAMS IN THE LEAGUE. Get it????????? The game wouldn't have had to be fiddled with , because we would have had a smaller player pool and would need about 100 players LESS of elite NEW boys to deal with .
To give better standard to the game! WE ALREADY HAVE TEAMS IN NSW AND QLD ,and well well well they are successful . yes?

Admittedly helped a little too, BUT NOT LIKE THE MILLION DOLLAR PLASTICS NOW.

The players are not my target, except for the rat Greene, the team is not my target, its the rotten manipulative system that makes me angry, I am not a VFL follower , I look at Box Hill sometimes to see how Hawthorn players are running, I haven't seen a game at Whitehorse and Middleborough road ground for decades , that was VFA and probably second division, I've followed WEST PERTH AND SWAN DISTRICTS IN THIS STATE , BUT MY HOME IN MELBOURNE ONCE UPON A TIME YOU COULD WATCH FOOTY AND ENJOY IT, YESTERDAY WAS A ROTTEN LOOKING RUGBY STYLED GAME , BECAUSE SOME SIDES PLAY THAT LOCK DOWN.
BECAUSE THEY CAN'T WIN IN THE OPEN, SO THEY HAVE STOPPAGES, stoppages ????? Rugby!
THE GAME NOW IS FULL OF STOPPAGES, ITS NOW A TACTIC NOW!,

Well MORE things have changed and when umpires dictate matches , talk patronisingly to players and make mistakes by the ton, and when bloody Gerard Healy talks on TV about... " pay more frees"... I nearly fall off the couch. Stop start, and pack football.

Looking like something out of the 60's on a mud packed surface??? Not on the beautiful surfaces like now days, but these bloke have to play with their capabilities on the ground , because out of all of them ,
OUT OF ALL OF THEM! A GREAT MANY CAN'T HANDLE THE BLEEDING PILL! You know what too, those old timers at that level weren't bad in the bog pile of mud in those day

TV rights were the whole reason , why the hell do you think that the AFL sends teams to China, to promote and make business deals and invent ways to MAKE MORE MONEY.

In doing so they have turned our AFL game that "IS" played in every state , before these two plastics came along, except for Tasmania and the Northern Territory.

It has seen the game changed the rules destroyed the free kick count massive the umpiring changing the game and dictating the game, it has seen inconclusive camera technology being used ( no not Pendleburys point/goal I saw the finger too) in so many cases , its seen one umpire pay something for the same thing the next umpire didn't !
If you haven't heard others beside me talk about it, then you are deaf.
The reason , preparation for two inventions one that is a basket case and will need propping up by Gil and his cronies again, the other given huge help as well, and after several short years is playing off in a grand final, are you blind too, where's your club been since 1964 .

Oh , that rubbish messy rugby match was meant to be an AFL Preliminary final. Even if it was pouring rain!
There I love a debate, bet there are a few who do too, but I say what I think, and next week is not feeling very exciting any more!

I remember Sydney premierships and the Lions too, but South and Fitzroy were there also as well as Sydney and Brisbane, What have we got next week, Gils Giant invention, v a real club!
If you can't see the difference , then leave the debate , but don't talk down to me , and I won't to you. Bye.
Last sentence is funny/ ironic you seem to often talk down to everyone.

Thank you GWS.

The level of smugness in Melbourne after twenty minutes of good footy against Geelong was unbearable... this was after sneaking into the top 4 because their big rival (West Coast) had a massive brain fart in the final game of the year. The debacle and convenience of the Jaidyn Stephenson return from his betting suspension. Also the baiting and arrogance directed at Geelong a couple of weeks back about the final not being played at Kardinia Park.

The line up for Grand Final tickets at the shopping centres before the Prelim even started (saw them all camped out on Friday night), Eddie again taking over the Triple M breakfast show with his pro-Collingwood bullsh*t all week, the sense of entitlement to right the wrongs of last years Grand Final after beating a number of poor to very average sides (Gold Coast, Melbourne, Adelaide & Essendon) leading into the finals.

One day later and you can still hear a pin drop.

Don't really care who wins the GF now.
Was talking about this at work last week. I love how he's passionate about the pies, but it gets a little tiresome. Maybe time to retire in a few roles. Collingwood mates are now saying he's giving them the shits.

I feel like the Pies were shown up as a poor wet weather team, they simply couldn’t pick the ball up for 3 quarters, is it a coincidence they completely smashed the Giants when it completely dried up late? Don’t think so.
Coincidence

It’s been the way this whole finals series that the teams behind bombard the opposition, who just seem to want to hang on and forget to score. Saw it in the Pies v Cats final.

Even saw it last week with the Giants v lions. Lions make all the running and get in front. Suddenly GWS get on the front foot again get a few inside 50’s and score themselves.

More a mentality thing than anything

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After re watching the game I was too harsh on Buckley.

Who is the midfield and stoppages coach though? Lack of synergy between Grundy and his midfield is a disgrace

After re watching the game I was too harsh on Buckley.

Who is the midfield and stoppages coach though? Lack of synergy between Grundy and his midfield is a disgrace
This and only this, amazing how we have the supposed most dominate ruck but our mids are so flat footed,
Have been saying for a while our midfield coach needs to be sacked

This and only this, amazing how we have the supposed most dominate ruck but our mids are so flat footed,

Its even worse then that. Grundy hit it to Kelly with no Pie in boo of him atleast 3 times in the centre. He was clean hitting in the exact opposite direction of his teammates. Do not know how that can happen at this level

Its almost like the only time they rove off Grundy is during a game and they never do this at training for example

Dylan Shiel thinking wtf did I do

Dylan is one bloke I still have enormous respect for. Yes he left but he re-signed several times for less money and absolutely agonised before going.

He was a pioneer and made a significant contribution to the club via his professionalism in setting the highest standards.

As a player we miss his burst acceleration in clearances although Zac Williams May be our answer for that. He was always an average kick and that unfortunately will stop him from being an A grader but he is still a very good player that we wish well.

Treloar and Adams on the other hand left in different circumstances and I am delighted we destroyed their dreams. Hope it continues throughout their careers too.

He says all the right things in a press conference and comes across as being on top of everything, but you know what i don't rate him as a senior coach.

I just don't rate him, he has a serious record of coming second and so does his club.

Probably harsh but he is not a great coach, just average IMO.
I think it is a bit harsh he was gone a couple of years ago. Buckley turned himself and Collingwood around and were a kick away from winning last year. The Magpies also beat the best team over the last 3 years Richmond convincingly in the prelim last year.

Ive read a few Collingwood supporters being proud of the players effort.

If i was a fan id be livid letting an opportunity like that going begging.
Inbred into their culture coming second.
Thats why they'll always be an off-field powerhouse but never on-field where it counts.

Grundy dominated the hitouts 78-16 and 14-5 to advantage, the Giants won clearances 54-35 and outscored the Magpies 29-8 from those clearances.

Thats a damning stat for your mid coach.

We still are - still more supporters - not necessarily members.
Richmond have come back bigtime due to their success -wait until the next rebuild/drought.
Are we waiting for the pies to come back big time?
Only 74k to a prelim is a very poor crowd. We got 94k to a GWS prelim.
It’s a myth you are the biggest club..
We smash membership records (don’t make up numbers like your club does)
We smash crowd numbers... (first club to get a million through the gate)...

Name anything your club is bigger at...

You’d need to consider that Prelim was your first in almost 20 years. Yesterday was our 9th in that period of time. The tiger faithful was going to turn out in massive numbers for it no matter what.

EDIT: Our ‘02 Prelim vs Adelaide (first since 1990) got just under 89,000, which was under 3,000 less than the actual Grand Final that year. MCG was at a reduced capacity FYI

Last edited:

Pies have more flags

Back