List Mgmt. The Kelly and All Draft and Trades Discussion Thread- #freetim #ITSHAPPENING

What will we pay for Kelly?

• 2019 1st, future 2020 1st and 2nd for Kelly and their 2020 2nd

Votes: 41 19.4%
  • 2019 1st and future 2020 1st

Votes: 99 46.9%
  • 2019 1st plus a player e.g. Petrucelle, Brander

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • 4th rounder and Kurt Mutimer

Votes: 35 16.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If that happens all Mitch Brown references will cease immediately
iu

Receiving texts (non-verified) from multiple sources now that T.Kelly will be releasing a media statement on Tuesday signalling his intention to leave Geelong for WA, with West Coast as his preferred destination.

Also receiving that Eagles initial offer will include their 2020 first round pick but not any first rounders from this year.

This is my own personal speculation now, but if this information is true, then the following could be what the club is trying to achieve:

View attachment 750678
Tim Kelly and 34 for 22 and 2020 R1? If this happens, I'll eat my hat. There is no way Geelong would accept that.

Receiving texts (non-verified) from multiple sources now that T.Kelly will be releasing a media statement on Tuesday signalling his intention to leave Geelong for WA, with West Coast as his preferred destination.

Also receiving that Eagles initial offer will include their 2020 first round pick but not any first rounders from this year.

This is my own personal speculation now, but if this information is true, then the following could be what the club is trying to achieve:

View attachment 750678
It'll be interesting if he does request a trade on Tuesday, given the article that came out yesterday saying he doesn't know what he's doing yet.

It'll be interesting if he does request a trade on Tuesday, given the article that came out yesterday saying he doesn't know what he's doing yet.
I’ve taken very little notice of that article.

He’s known for awhile. Otherwise he would have signed.

Anyone who has a dipolmatic mind will say that. I am sure he doesnt want to answer difficult questions while sitting at the Geelong table in the Brownlow Medal Night?!

It's not just that he was being diplomatic in that article, he is also being realistic as there is a trade that needs to happen and he doesn't know how that will work out. Whilst he is probably 100% coming back to WA and either will or has made Geelong aware of that, he loves their club and isn't going to say something that means they can't get a fair trade. He isn't threatening to walk on them so he rightly doesn't know what will happen. He will tell them he has to go back to WA for personal reasons, most likely say he wants to go to WC and then has to rely on the clubs to work out a deal, which I am sure they will.

All this talk of Freo having better trade chips is true, but I doubt they want to give up top 10 picks. They have a chance for a serious injection of talent with a new coach coming in.

View attachment 750678

If this is how the trade eventuates, we would win trade of the century.

I have a hardon just thinking about it.

We should throw the kitchen sink at Geelong. Its a premiership window. Pay overs if we have to. 2019 first 2 picks, 2020 first 2 picks, plus a Petrucelle and one other.

Could be the difference that nets us our 5th flag.

Imagine our centre square with NicNat, Shuey, Yeo and Kelly.

To borrow a phrase used by esteemed posters around here - then you would need to FOLD the club. That trade would empty all cupboards and nail down those that had any semblance of being ajar.

Trading away all of your future is not a good idea - club often bemoan the lack of high draaft picks and here you are giving away every reasonable pick + a couple of players for a single player.

Not for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand the disappointment of GFC and Scott over potentially losing Kelly, but Scott saying they’ll “Fight tooth & nail to keep him” should prove to Kelly that they’re not sympathetic to his family situation.
Yet jack steven going home to geelong around family for his mental health is fine .

Saints after losing their coach and having a s**t of a season should at least get something of value for him and not just a throw away pick

All this talk of Freo having better trade chips is true, but I doubt they want to give up top 10 picks. They have a chance for a serious injection of talent with a new coach coming in.

Yep. Been saying this for a while. Just because Freo have the trade chips doesn’t automatically mean they will offer them

Peter Bell was far from the easiest person for clubs to deal with last year. On the flip side he may want to add a feather to his cap by landing Kelly away from West Coast

IMO it will be 13 plus our future first for Kelly by himself with nothing coming back. This will be more than what we offered last year (7 and potentially a 4 pick upgrade respectively), but we'd get to keep 22.
That is more than a contracted sheil.

A 22 year old traloar who was their best mid at the time .

More than a contracted Beams

And more than dangerfield who was adelaide's best player .

I cant remember a trade of 2 first rounders without a 2nd coming back with the player

Why should we have to pay that price if kelly nominates us ?

He isn't contracted anymore

Further to the previous:

Information is that apparently Geelong won't move T.Kelly until they have an agreement with St Kilda for J.Steven.

Cats are refusing to use their current pick 16, but their next is 34 which the Saints won't accept.

Saints only interested in receiving picks for this year as they have pick 5 and then nothing until the third round.

If the pick 22 that West Coast has is enough to gain J.Steven then there are suggestions of a three-way deal occurring early in the trade period to get it out of the way.

Figures going around for such a deal seem to be along these lines:

TKelly-PTrade-0922-2.jpg

I have to say, if this were to happen I would be very happy about the outcome.

Finding it encouraging that these are the numbers I am seeing doing the rounds.

Further to the previous:

Information is that apparently Geelong won't move T.Kelly until they have an agreement with St Kilda for J.Steven.

Cats are refusing to use their current pick 16, but their next is 34 which the Saints won't accept.

Saints only interested in receiving picks for this year as they have pick 5 and then nothing until the third round.

If the pick 22 that West Coast has is enough to gain J.Steven then there are suggestions of a three-way deal occurring early in the trade period to get it out of the way.

Figures going around for such a deal seem to be along these lines:

View attachment 750785

I have to say, if this were to happen I would be very happy about the outcome.

Finding it encouraging that these are the numbers I am seeing doing the rounds.

That would be insanely good.

While we're in the area, this has been on my mind for a while:

One single piece regarding West Coast being linked to another midfielder (other than T.Kelly) but it is being very tightly kept under wraps. All I'm able to get is that the player has apparently been targeted for a while now, is currently in Victoria and is capable of filling multiple roles through the middle. Take of that what you will. My impression was definitely not an A grade signing. A Masten or Hutchings upgrade/replacement perhaps?

Any further tidbits on that?

Nope, we 100% cannot do it unless the AFL approves.

At the end of 2020 we are fine (16/17 1st round picks, but theoretically none in 18/19). But if we have also traded out 2020 we would go into that draft guaranteed to go into deficit (16 drops off and 2020 no pick added). You can't go into a draft guaranteed to break the rule without approval.

The rule was brought in for a reason, so not sure why the AFL would waive it at the first possible opportunity...

I think a lot depends on whether we have any players wanting a trade. Even fringe or young players would allow us the possibility of a pick upgrade. Would prefer to keep our younger players though!

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Doesn't the rule count from the end of 2015, though?

It looks that way according to this article:
Essendon is in a similar scenario to Hawthorn and Melbourne under the new trade conditions.

All three clubs drafted two players in the first round in 2015, but the Hawks and Demons haven't used one since and neither has one this year.

They can do as they wish with their first-round pick in the 2019 NAB AFL Trade Period, including offloading a future one, because they have used at least two in the preceding four-year period.

However, like the Bombers, unless they trade in extra first-round selections this year or next, they will have to start using those picks in 2020 until they satisfy the four-year rolling requirement.

That trio of teams will have used just one first-round pick or fewer through the 2019 draft – assuming they don't acquire any extras – once their two from 2015 drop off.

They will be the last three clubs in that situation, barring AFL permission, now that the four-year rule is in place, which demands at least two first-round picks are used in that period.

To me, that sounds like the rule extends back to 2015, meaning we won't be forced to meet it until 2021. If we had used two pick first rounders in 2015 and 16, then we'd be screwed. 2016 still counts next year, though, because it will only be after the four years when we'll have to use one, rather than at the fourth year.

In 2021, using a first then, coupled with 2017, meets the requirement.

That is more than a contracted sheil.

A 22 year old traloar who was their best mid at the time .

More than a contracted Beams

And more than dangerfield who was adelaide's best player .

I cant remember a trade of 2 first rounders without a 2nd coming back with the player

Why should we have to pay that price if kelly nominates us ?

He isn't contracted anymore

I'm just assuming Geelong will be massive *******s about it again, despite the fact he isn't contracted. I'd prefer a second to come back, though.

Last edited:
I’m. Or confident we will get this done after Geelongs hard ball stance last year. I realise he’s out of contract but Freo are keen on him too, so if he walks I think they’ll snap him up and we’ll miss out because I don’t think we can get the picks to satisfy Geelong. If we get him I’d be very stoked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back