Ch 7 Commentary - is it intervention time?

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem comes from people expecting the commentary team to be even handed and consistently commentate from both teams perspectives. It's a losing game, because even when they are even they seem biased if your'e invested in one of the sides.

This is really the crux of the matter. Fans always perceive commentators as biased against their side because of the tribalistic prism through which they consume the commentary.

Commentators literally cannot win.

Most of them think it's their job to just turn up, go through the motions and not offend anyone - and maybe celebrate a bit with the winning team in a post-match 'interview' if the opportunity arises. Daisy couldn't even be bothered asking Hawkins about the action that ended up getting him suspended from a prelim.

this I can understand, since you don't want to prejudice a potential hearing.

Gerard Whateley was linked with a move to channel 7 to potentially replace Bruce McAvaney but a chance in management at 7 put pay to that. Matthew Lloyd has been sounded out about possibly leaving channel 9 to join channel 7.
ok I know it was probably a typo, but I read this as GW had an offer to move but they also offered him a management role as well; and faced with the prospective of having to join that bunch of w***ers he thought "Eff that" and politely declined.
:D

ok I know it was probably a typo, but I read this as GW had an offer to move but they also offered him a management role as well; and faced with the prospective of having to join that bunch of w***ers he thought "Eff that" and politely declined.
:D

*change in management. CEO changed and cost-cutting scuppered the Whateley move.

Seems like 7 have got Hodge on as an expert commentator, anyone remember what he was like?

Hopefully they get Jobe full-time too, like him when he was on there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They should go whole hog and have two sets of commentators per game and set them to be biased towards one of the teams.

If you've ever listened to K Rock or the South Aus radio stations for a game call you'll know what I mean. It's awful for the opposition but great for the home team.

The problem comes from people expecting the commentary team to be even handed and consistently commentate from both teams perspectives. It's a losing game, because even when they are even they seem biased if your'e invested in one of the sides.

That's a separate issue to commentating skill. Whoever told Bruce he should go the growl more often needs to be sacked. He's rolling it out, awkwardly, far too frequently.
JB is great. More of him.
BT is the one everyone likes to complain about, but he brings an energy to the games that others don't. He says dumb stuff, but he also brings the hype. They can't move him on when he's surrounded by deadweights like Richo, Ling, Carey (omfg how the fu** is this guy on TV?).

Richo - good bloke, but he's only got 3 calls:
a) Team X needs to take some heat out of the game
b) Contested marks are gold in games like this
c) Player looks hurt, coming off

Carey - not a good bloke, but he's also only got 3 calls:
a) Big guys need to get more involved in the game
b) Steele Sidebottom is a great player
c) That's right BT

One of these guys is involved in every single broadcast, usally as special comments. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but special comments should be special. They should be insightful. These are great players of the game, they should be highlighting things that mere mortals like myself couldn't think of due to not experiencing the game at the highest level.

Compare to Luke Hodge when he's commentating. He makes calls on the play before it happens. e.g. "This team is looking to slow the game down. They've put player X behind the ball and you'll see here, they'll go long when they should be switching to the free player on the other side. It's not the right move because the other side is now setting up and able to use the corridor better" And then it happens exactly as predicted.
d) Why didn't player x kick a drop punt?

Because according to Duck and BT it's impossible to miss drop punts .

I would love to see ch7 get Tim lane covering footy as well as cricket alongside GW on a Friday night! Push bt back to a Saturday night with JB

This thread is as good a place as any for this.
Lewis Martin was on this podcast. He was evasive, spun a bit of crap, and told at least one fib ("13 mins of ads per hour on tv." Maybe in the '70s, or maybe during quarters. Maybe he meant commercials, and didn't include show promos, which take up a fair chunk o ad-breaks. Most commercial tv is lucky to crack 40 mins of content per hour). He also couldn't explain why Ch 7 has no football shows on at the moment while Ch 9 has three that are doing well.

However, he was there for a friendly chat, rather than a "reveal-all" interview, so I suppose he's not expected to spill his guts

Last edited:
Mute button is the best thing when forced to watch ch7

Happy to make my own opinions on the play.

F*** those clowns

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app
Silence makes it hard to build an atmosphere. The crowd noise is essential for this, bit even without it the commentators can be accused of overhyping, but at the very least they do bring an energy which some games need. They are also good at calling out things that aren't easily noticed when watching on TV, such as injuries to players, interchanges, statistics, etc.

FoxFooty commentary is far above 7, as long as Dwayne Russell isn't commentating. Apart from him, I don't mind Fox.

How much Channel 7 live coverage are we going to get now on the weekends? Will there still be no Saturday arvo coverage? How much Sunday coverage?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back