No Oppo Supporters Non Bulldog Footy Talk - Bulldogs only - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I knew my post would be seriously unpopular.

Good discussion.

I understand fans hating GWS. I’ve never barracked harder than in our prelim. Seeing clay smith smash griffen to set up daniel’s goal is my favourite footy moment of all time.

GWS we’re gifted everything, while we were shafted over and over. I get it all.

But to say the giants have no character, no soul, no substance, no heart, is total and utter footballing ignorance.

Soul is a vague term open to interpretation, I would equate soul with history, but also an area/club with an affinity to the sport. So if we’re using soul as a defining term, WA and SA teams have it by default because their supporters and clubs exist in a historical football environment and culture. Swans and Lions get it by default with their inherited history. That leaves Giants and Suns...

I knew my post would be seriously unpopular.

Good discussion.

I understand fans hating GWS. I’ve never barracked harder than in our prelim. Seeing clay smith smash griffen to set up daniel’s goal is my favourite footy moment of all time.

GWS we’re gifted everything, while we were shafted over and over. I get it all.

But to say the giants have no character, no soul, no substance, no heart, is total and utter footballing ignorance.

They have a vain & untitled soul. Expect to get everything they want and don’t give a sh!t about anyone else.

There continuous complaints about Toby being unfairly suspended were exactly who they are.

I don’t hate them for taking Ward or Griffnuckle. I just detest them for who they have become.

And it's started... my very good friend who is a Richmond fanatic is complaining on Twitter about how her Category 1 seat allocations have disappeared and they might have to settle for another category. I wish I had that problem this Grand Final. *sigh* :(

If Richmond wins, they'll probably sign up another 25000 members next year. I remember when the Tigers were begging for money with the Save Our Skins campaign of 1990. I hope that their many big headed, obnoxious supporters think back on those days and be grateful that, like us, ordinary supporters saved their club.

A football team is made up of individuals. Young 17 and 18 year old boys drafted to Sydney. Many of them lured back to Melbourne by the promise of playing on the G for the big clubs and on big money with fringe benefits. Teams that have benefited the most Tigers, Collingwood, Essendon and Carlton. The same teams who hog the spotlight no matter how poorly they are playing.

Despite playing in front of small home crowds and hostile interstate crowds, a few determined players ignored the lure and hung on with the hope of playing in the club’s first premiership. Yeah they started to play unsociable football which was sanctioned by the AFL but that’s not their fault, put the blame where it squarely belongs the AFL.

I am sick of Collingwood being rammed down our throats every Friday night, they didn’t win the premiership, West Coast did., I’m glad GWS knocked them out, and I hope GWS knocks out the Tigers as will.

This is remarkably similar to our 2016 run. Everyone wrote them off and they have got a number of players back and have turned it around completely in form and momentum.

Without the bye they aren’t here.
I dont see many similarities at all. They were 50/50 in the first final - which was at home. They then beat a first time finals side by less than a kick and were considered a genuine winning chance. They then beat the pies by less than a kick in the prelim. They finished 6th due to some flakey form at various stages of the year. Most people hate them.

We were given less than 0 chance of beating the red hot Eagles - in Perth, then beat the side that were coming off 3 premierships on the trot before beating a Giants side who completely smashed the Swans in the first final and were looking better than they ever have before, and since. We finished 7th, but won 15 games and had arguably a worse run with injuries than they have had this year. Most people loved us and wanted us to win.

I dont see it.

I dont see many similarities at all. They were 50/50 in the first final - which was at home. They then beat a first time finals side by less than a kick and were considered a genuine winning chance. They then beat the pies by less than a kick in the prelim. They finished 6th due to some flakey form at various stages of the year. Most people hate them.

We were given less than 0 chance of beating the red hot Eagles - in Perth, then beat the side that were coming off 3 premierships on the trot before beating a Giants side who completely smashed the Swans in the first final and were looking better than they ever have before, and since. We finished 7th, but won 15 games and had arguably a worse run with injuries than they have had this year. Most people loved us and wanted us to win.

I dont see it.

Their captain went down with a season ending injury, their last home and away game was a terrible loss, finished 6th although they had been top four throughout the year. Three interstate finals as the away team, injuries to key players. No similarities?

Their captain went down with a season ending injury, their last home and away game was a terrible loss, finished 6th although they had been top four throughout the year. Three interstate finals as the away team, injuries to key players. No similarities?
Their first final was at home...
They also have a captain out there - co-captains
Their last home and away match was a massive win against Gold Coast...

I dont see it.
I see it.

They're scrambling to get best players back to form after injury.
They've won two interstate finals when rated outsiders. Didn't someone say we were the first side to win two interstate finals?
They have momentum after looking terrible before the bye, however like us they were playing good football and in the top 4 earlier in the year.
They are playing with more team cohesion and purpose than any other side in the finals.

It's never going to be identical but there are certainly quite a few similarities.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who were a finals side. Hardly a Freo in 16'.

Are you joking? In two of their three last games they didn’t kick a goal in the last half! They were dead in the water.

It’s quite a good analogy given where they’ve come from. It’s not perfect and ours was harder (particularly the first final) but I think you are splitting hairs.

Are you joking? In two of their three last games they didn’t kick a goal in the last half! They were dead in the water.

It’s quite a good analogy given where they’ve come from. It’s not perfect and ours was harder (particularly the first final) but I think you are splitting hairs.
The comparison will be inevitable and given they aren't Victorian the narrative will be it was harder. We all know it

Nah, I’m fully invested in the Dogs, not the game ( feel free to call me s moron although my high IQ suggests otherwise scientifically)
. Have been invited to many finals but never wanted to go if we weren’t playing.

My kids and I, despite annually staying up all night for silly TV Footy marathons, made a conscious decision to NOT watch 2010 Pies v Saints GF. Memories of my childhood abuse at Vic Park, genetically implanted into my kids, prevented us from watching Collingwood win. The torture of watching Saints steal that win in Prelim in the week my dad was condemned to years of waste as a stroke victim ( he died 6 years later on the day we lost to them in 2015 after our 10 goal lead) meant we couldn’t watch them win. So we headed to the local pool until it was over, only to walk in as the siren sounded for a draw and we did it all over again the following week.

I have no ill will towards Richmond like others here so will watch in hope of them beating GWS but if the Giants are comfortably up like we were in 16 we will be turning the TV off as I did last night with 5 seconds to go to avoid seeing them celebrate. Petty? Perhaps but emotions run high in this game - I would irrationally chose GWS over Saints tbh purely because of their untimely link to my father’s final years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will watch, in contradiction to what I previously thought (and may have posted), but whoever looks like winning I’ll be switching off before the siren.

They were planted in foreign territory, in western Sydney, to get noticed, to make their mark, by hook or by crook. They’ve attracted any kind of attention they could. Skill plus bad boy stuff.

What a contrast to the pallid Gold Coasters. No one can be bothered hating them, they are barely on the radar.

I’m glad we thwarted them in 2016 but it couldn’t last forever.

They were planted in foreign territory, in western Sydney, to get noticed, to make their mark, by hook or by crook. They’ve attracted any kind of attention they could. Skill plus bad boy stuff.

What a contrast to the pallid Gold Coasters. No one can be bothered hating them, they are barely on the radar.

Richmond won't be rolling over and they won't have 2 scoreless quarters

Part of my hate of GWS is thanks to Gold Coast. They got their recruitment strategy wrong, AFL HQ thought they didn’t get enough help with concessions so gave GWS even more. They got it right as they would have learnt from GC mistakes, such as they have had a production line of first round picks year after year. They could win the flag this year & they still have 2 first rounders.

What a great end to the weekend. The Bulldog ladies lose and Richmond win the VFL Grand Final. And we all know who is going to win the Brownlow tomorrow. :(

What a great end to the weekend. The Bulldog ladies lose and Richmond win the VFL Grand Final. And we all know who is going to win the Brownlow tomorrow. :(
I had to be Him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back