Shattered, onto 2020. Where now?

Remove this Banner Ad

How would you compare that core of young players vs the likes of gws, wc, bris and the blose? Do tell how we have a better core of young players than those teams.
We compare well. GWS have the best list though

Stuff the Football Dept. spending we desperately need a ruck coach. There were times in the game where Grundy should have knocked the ball forward instead of at the feet of the mids where it becomes a 50/50.

Midfield coach I’d think, Grundy would be playing as instructed and how we’ve set up tactically. We’re not taking advantage of his dominance and the connection between ruck and mids needs to be addressed.

Do tell how we compare well, very interested to know.
Our players.
We have one of the best defences in the comp. When we click our mids can dominate. Our forward line was an issue this season, but is capable of getting back to 2018 levels.
We are well placed for top 4 next year.

Our players.
We have one of the best defences in the comp. When we click our mids can dominate. Our forward line was an issue this season, but is capable of getting back to 2018 levels.
We are well placed for top 4 next year.

Open the other eye Jmac and have a look at other teams, in ANY universe we'd have play well above ourselves to get near top four next year.

Midfield coach I’d think, Grundy would be playing as instructed and how we’ve set up tactically. We’re not taking advantage of his dominance and the connection between ruck and mids needs to be addressed.

You're right, so how come we took advantage of it last year and not this year with the very same mid coach? And with our mids aging another year especially the time machine (Pendles) do you think that somehow bringing in a different mid coach will fix our midfield woes?

Open the other eye Jmac and have a look at other teams, in ANY universe we'd have play well above ourselves to get near top four next year.
Finishing top 4 two years in a row is no fluke. We have a good group of guys getting in that 100+ game level. That’s what wins flags.

You're right, so how come we took advantage of it last year and not this year with the very same mid coach? And with our mids aging another year especially the time machine (Pendles) do you think that somehow bringing in a different mid coach will fix our midfield woes?
I didn’t think our ruck mid connection was all that great last year either, we generated a lot of attack off half back and we’re good on the outside through the middle, but we’re often beaten in clearances. We’re not getting full value from Grundy’s dominance imo. Part maybe set up and part the mix of personnel.

I think we need to take a punt or a huge risk on the trade table this year if we possibly want to win a premiership next year.
Have some bulls. like it or not our A listed players are getting old
The Beams trade was stupid, should have kept that money and targeted a K.P.F even Jenkins, or even better Patton.
We have no first rounders this year cause of the frigen stupid Beams trade, maybe we need to dangle Sidebottom as trade bate for Patton?
I think it has to be all or nothing next year, we really need to hope one of the Brown brothers , Daicos, Quanor can surprise everyone and become a b grade midfeilder.
Play Degoey and Stephenson in the midfield, get a KPF and play him with Cox.

I didn’t think our ruck mid connection was all that great last year either, we generated a lot of attack off half back and we’re good on the outside through the middle, but we’re often beaten in clearances. We’re not getting full value from Grundy’s dominance imo. Part maybe set up and part the mix of personnel.

It was better last year than this year, with the so called stellar midfield we should be getting better clearance numbers at the stoppages and centre bounces with Grundy's dominance. Why we aren't is perplexing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the club should look to extend De Goey's contract prior to round one. I dont want this one to get dragged out. North Melbourne are bound to come hopping around again waving the cheque book and hopefully for the 4th year in a row miss out on signing a big name fish. I feel grundy will stay but at what cost??? De-goey will want a pay rise as well. Im not sure we have to change too much. We still have a side that will push for a GF next year.

We lack depth. Unless our best 22 plays, which will rarely happen, we won't win a GF with this list. We aren't far off but we ARE off.

We badly need a Key forward and Cox isn't it. Add De Goey and Beams and maybe we beat GWS but I think Richmoind still get us. Players Like Aish and Scarenberg need to be replacements for the 22-25th best players not competing for a best 22 spot. Players like Brown, Phillips, Roughead and Mayne need to be fighting to get into the 22 not automatic selections. That difference has to come from players not on the list. The VFL side this year showed we don;t have much in the shed. Maybe Daicos squeezes into the 22 next year but he can't make a material diferenece given our midfield.

We lack depth. Unless our best 22 plays, which will rarely happen, we won't win a GF with this list. We aren't far off but we ARE off.

We badly need a Key forward and Cox isn't it. Add De Goey and Beams and maybe we beat GWS but I think Richmoind still get us. Players Like Aish and Scarenberg need to be replacements for the 22-25th best players not competing for a best 22 spot. Players like Brown, Phillips, Roughead and Mayne need to be fighting to get into the 22 not automatic selections. That difference has to come from players not on the list. The VFL side this year showed we don;t have much in the shed. Maybe Daicos squeezes into the 22 next year but he can't make a material diferenece given our midfield.
Left field suggestion, if we can't land a key forward which is doubtful and if we're fair dinkum we should leave no stone unturned in enticing either J Cameron or B Brown, or could we try Grundy at FF and switch Cox as our ruck who is a good tap ruckman, with Darcy Cameron as another option? We need to reinvent ourselves next year without losing key players and try some positional changes.

Last edited:
Yeah... but no way the lanky yank is a viable long term plan..
Yep, if we’re relying on him to anchor the forward line for years to come, then we are in huge trouble.

Dramatic? How about you take off those rose coloured glasses and actually view where we really are.

I'd very very surprised if Pendles can emulate this season again given his age. I'd be very surprised if Beams can get back to his best.

We've played above ourselves for the last two season on the back of tactical brilliance not talent, how long can that hold up? We need these two at minimum to be playing at potential to get anywhere near it given we rely on the system.

I could go on about other issues we have that points to us not getting back, continual soft tissue injuries is one.

Am I being dramatic? Slightly pessimistic maybe but light years away from your blind optimism.

Totally disagree. We're far from tactically brilliant. In fact, I think we lost yesterday due to allowing them to play a loose man in defence. It was wet, scrappy and thus always going to be a game of field position, yet for 3 quarters we allowed them to have extra numbers and easily clear the ball every time we kicked it forward.

Pendles probably won't have a better year next year, but he may have a better preliminary final and you'd expect Degoey, Stephenson and Moore to have better years than they had this year - there's significant improvement right there. Personel wise, I think we were one solid inside mid away from winning both last year's grand final and this year's prelim.

We're close and should still be in the running for the next couple of years at least.

How would you compare that core of young players vs the likes of gws, wc, bris and the blose? Do tell how we have a better core of young players than those teams.
We have Pendles contract ending soon. Sidey on unders. Yet we are expected to face a salary cap squeeze because re-signing our young stars will cost a heap - Degoey, Moore and Grundy. They'll cost a heap because they are seriously bloody good. And that's not to mention Stepho who is one of the most exciting youngsters I've seen in black and white. You can go through other clubs list and produce a longer list of likely types, but not many have a top end of young talent that compares to ours.

Surprised you listed WC. I would have thought that they were an aging list with their aging stars beginning to slide.

We have Pendles contract ending soon. Sidey on unders. Yet we are expected to face a salary cap squeeze because re-signing our young stars will cost a heap - Degoey, Moore and Grundy. They'll cost a heap because they are seriously bloody good. And that's not to mention Stepho who is one of the most exciting youngsters I've seen in black and white. You can go through other clubs list and produce a longer list of likely types, but not many have a top end of young talent that compares to ours.

Surprised you listed WC. I would have thought that they were an aging list with their aging stars beginning to slide.

Hawthorn did it....
Roughead, Rioli, Mitchell, Hodge, Lewis, Breust, Birchall, Burgoyne etc
And they would have kept Franklin had he not wanted to get out of the fishbowl of
Melbourne.
In fact they added players after he left....

Richmond have kept all their top liners....all of them and added Lynch.
Yet you don’t hear anything about a cap squeeze at Richmond.

My gut feels tells me we have too many “average players” on inflated contracts compared to their compatriots of equal ability.

It was better last year than this year, with the so called stellar midfield we should be getting better clearance numbers at the stoppages and centre bounces with Grundy's dominance. Why we aren't is perplexing.
I don't think it's perplexing. It's as simple as our mids aren't as strong and aggressive as those of many other teams.

Hawthorn did it....
Roughead, Rioli, Mitchell, Hodge, Lewis, Breust, Birchall, Burgoyne etc
And they would have kept Franklin had he not wanted to get out of the fishbowl of
Melbourne.
In fact they added players after he left....

Richmond have kept all their top liners....all of them and added Lynch.
Yet you don’t hear anything about a cap squeeze at Richmond.

My gut feels tells me we have too many “average players” on inflated contracts compared to their compatriots of equal ability.
I wasn't really talking about how to juggle the salary cap, I was just suggesting that our top end of young talent is seriously bloody good and thus justifying seriously big contracts - bigger contracts than the top young talent at other clubs. We're clearly not bereft of top young talent like some are suggesting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back