CM9000

BigFooty Optimist
Aug 19, 2016
Perth, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Marlion Pickett best on ground in the VFL Grand Final and an outside chance to get an AFL debut in a Grand Final.

Went with McInnes and Smith on the rookie list instead of Stack and Pickett - both would be handy to have right now.

To watch them both get picked up by Richmond and carve things up annoys me without end.

They were literally the only ones I wanted in 2018 (along with Kelly), and we didn't touch them because they might come with trouble. I mean, maybe it's a thing with Stack, but Marlion Pickett has four kids to take care of - surely that alone is a good indicator he is somewhat stable.

Last edited:

Karim Abdul Yeo

Cancelled
Jul 30, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Marlion Pickett best on ground in the VFL Grand Final and an outside chance to get an AFL debut in a Grand Final.

Went with McInnes and Smith on the rookie list instead of Stack and Pickett - both would be handy to have right now.

To watch them both get picked up by Richmond and carve things up annoys me without end.
oh well. Recruiters like anyone else can get it wrong. few years ago went after Rioli and Ryan. they were key to us winning a flag. I really think Smith was recruited cuz we thought 90% gaff is leaving so he was like a cover. We get Tim Kelly, we should be fine.

Capriati

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
oh well. Recruiters like anyone else can get it wrong. few years ago went after Rioli and Ryan. they were key to us winning a flag. I really think Smith was recruited cuz we thought 90% gaff is leaving so he was like a cover. We get Tim Kelly, we should be fine.

It does feel a bit like WC doesn't have it's finger on the pulse enough with the WAFL and is afraid to take risks. Richmond have done very well recruiting from WAFL.

Pickett and Stack are two that come to mind. Obviously both of them have their personal issues, but seems to back their club's culture and be prepared to take a risk.

Coasters7

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea

I wouldn’t be as pissed if they were running around for someone like St Kilda or Bulldogs. The fact that Richmond, a direct rival, took the risk on them is infuriating when they were in front of our eyes the entire time. I understand they have/had their issues but that’s exactly what the rookie list is for, take a chance on someone for a year. Richmond got both these guys effectively free (one in the mid season draft and one for nothing as part of that new rule). Instead we go and give McInnis another year (to add to our 30 rucks) and Smith, another reject from another club for “cover”. We seem to focus too much on covering our arses just in case rather than pick the obvious talent.

That wasn't a risky pick imo, that was a no-brainer although he went a bit earlier than most thought.
A risky pick would have been to take him in the rookie draft the year before.

-Sketchy off field rep
-Seen as only being able to lead out of the square
-Doesn't work hard enough defensively
-Not fit enough with no tank

There was a lot of risks with Ryan. The way he's developed is a testament to his hard work, bit even still he's had a few off field incidents.

Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
-Sketchy off field rep
-Seen as only being able to lead out of the square
-Doesn't work hard enough defensively
-Not fit enough with no tank

There was a lot of risks with Ryan. The way he's developed is a testament to his hard work, bit even still he's had a few off field incidents.
I thought most of those issues were somewhat allayed by the time we drafted him, which was why we drafted him when we did instead of the year before.

I thought most of those issues were somewhat allayed by the time we drafted him, which was why we drafted him when we did instead of the year before.

He had worked on his game yes, but still nowhere near what he is now.

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
For those interested enough, a couple posters on the Freo board still claim Freo would've made finals had they not had injuries, apparently.

BernieBrown

Debutant
Sep 8, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Depends on how the GWS ticket ballot goes. I think the club allocation is 36,000 for each side, but GWS only have 24,000 members (if memory serves, could be very wrong) so I wonder what happens to the remaining 12,000
That's 36,000 in total for all club members. If only it was 36000 each side!

Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
He had worked on his game yes, but still nowhere near what he is now.
He's still pretty young though, you'd expect improvement year on year at that age.
A lot of people would have been disappointed if he'd gone elsewhere in that draft, at that point it's not really a risky pick, at least no more than any second round draft pick is.

Mar 1, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Leeds United
The teams, particularly GWS', wil be very interesting on Thursday.

Greene a certainty to come back in. Whitfield has been branded a near-certainty.

Coniglio appears to oly be a 'chance'. Most deserving of the 3 and I hope he gets up for it.

Tigers' main concern is Graham with that shoulder. The way they are talking up his bravery in the PF makes me think that he is an out. Broad has a concussion test I think.

There was an article in the West about how the AFL should give Premiership medallions to players who played at least 15 games in the season. Not a bad idea, especially when you compare it with other leagues around the world.

I suppose they would have to make it retrospective - that would see NN, Gaff, Sheppard and Waterman all get one for 2018.

Capriati

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast

Greene a certainty to come back in. Whitfield has been branded a near-certainty.

Coniglio appears to oly be a 'chance'. Most deserving of the 3 and I hope he gets up for it.

Tigers' main concern is Graham with that shoulder. The way they are talking up his bravery in the PF makes me think that he is an out. Broad has a concussion test I think.

There was an article in the West about how the AFL should give Premiership medallions to players who played at least 15 games in the season. Not a bad idea, especially when you compare it with other leagues around the world.

I suppose they would have to make it retrospective - that would see NN, Gaff, Sheppard and Waterman all get one for 2018.

In swimming world champs/olympics I think all the relay members get a medal, even if you swam in the heats but not the final.

I reckon they should have two different types of premiership medals. Ones for the team on the day, and a different one if you played x games that year but not the GF.

shooshka

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
In swimming world champs/olympics I think all the relay members get a medal, even if you swam in the heats but not the final.

I reckon they should have two different types of premiership medals. Ones for the team on the day, and a different one if you played x games that year but not the GF.

The teams pretty much do this anyway for players and staff. As there are only 23 medals handed out (players + coach) excluding the Norm Smith, the clubs make up a keepsake for assistant coaches, support staff and other players etc.

Capriati

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
The teams pretty much do this anyway for players and staff. As there are only 23 medals handed out (players + coach) excluding the Norm Smith, the clubs make up a keepsake for assistant coaches, support staff and other players etc.

Oh, that's cool, I never knew this.

So Nafan does have premiership medal?

In many of the European soccer leagues, the winning club gets an allotment of medals and they distribute it as they see fit. However, might not be the most appropriate comparison as they don't play finals.

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast

Graham couldn't lift his arm above shoulder height. No way he plays.

I agree with the medals. Players would be on board as long as they are part of the presentation. Imagine how amazing it would have been if Gaff, Shep and Nic Nat got to walk across the stage in 2018!

Capriati

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Graham couldn't lift his arm above shoulder height. No way he plays.

I agree with the medals. Players would be on board as long as they are part of the presentation. Imagine how amazing it would have been if Gaff, Shep and Nic Nat got to walk across the stage in 2018!

Broad is a line ball and Stack also took a nasty hit in the VFL GF and not sure if he would return for Saturday. Tigers have a few smallish issues on the injury front as well.

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
I would very much like for the Giants to win this game. How much will it cost me to freight some of Coniglio's Mum's pasta over to Melbourne for the boys?

flyinghi64

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2006
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
I hope Shane Mumford decides to retire after the GF and just spends the GF absolutely steamrolling everyone and windmilling people like Alistair Lynch did in ‘04. That would be great television
Nice call, maybe he could sucker a few retaliations from the opposition so they have an extended pre-season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back