2nds 2019 SANFL Grand Final- Port Adelaide v Glenelg 3pm Sunday 22/9

Willsy10

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Surprised Kane and Chad weren't there with him, cheering their beloved Bays.
Did i happen to get a glimpse of Kane wearing a Glenelg Guernsey in a picture posted on here?

300 AFL games record holder and hall of famer for Port barracking for Glenelg because his Dad coached them and he played a few under 17 games for them, FFS.

MrMeaner

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Did i happen to get a glimpse of Kane wearing a Glenelg Guernsey in a picture posted on here?

300 AFL games record holder and hall of famer for Port barracking for Glenelg because his Dad coached them and he played a few under 17 games for them, FFS.

To be fair, he did also play a handful of games for them and changed his Twitter bio to “Glenelg player” when Primus dropped him, so the connection is strong.

I watched it and was mildly disappointed with the performance but that was as deep as it ran for me. Basically Glenelg FC's league side beat Port Adelaide FC's reserves side. It's a mix of players that changes so much each season it is Forrest Gump's veritable box of chocolates every year. Last year we were rubbish, this year we were good, next year who knows?

Next year the changes to the Magpies could extend to:

Ladhams (AFL) - has to play most of next year at the top level
Garner (AFL) - he was a mix of good and bad yesterday. Started to see the white line fever in him during the finals. Some massively courageous plays, some stuff ups but being forced to play mismatches because of our undersized key defensive posts didn't help. Would have helped to have Grundy alongside him
Drew (AFL) - shoudn't be playing sanfl
Marshall (AFL) - didn't do much but he has to be a fixture in the AFL side next year if we are at all serious
Farrell - like Ron Jeremy, in and out
Frampton - likely to be at another club
Atley - gone, traded or delisted
Trengove - back at Sturt
Hewett - North Adelaide

There's no continuity and it's hard to feel attachment to anything other than a piece of cloth.

The sanfl had the result it wanted, the integrity of the competition was maintained. It was a mix of our misfiring on the day and the umps giving us no chance to clear our engines. Couldn't really blame one thing exclusively.

Gra Gra Cornes (who will never in his lifetime see Glenelg beat a genuine Port Adelaide side in a grand final) was already mounting the case on Saturday for not counting games by Port and Adelaide for points. David Wildy to his credit tried to make the case for these games then being a farce because the sanfl teams would play reserves sides. Cornes dismissed him saying the AFL clubs would get what they wanted, the opportunity to try their players in the AFL team structures. Wonder what he would have made of that when he was coach of the camries? Wildy was funny because he said he could come at Port being in the sanfl as a traditional club, but not Adelaide.

Anyway I'm sure Koch has congratulated his little league counterpart because that's how he rolls.

Harlott

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Listening to past players, commentators and reading here the past week has got me thinking about what our expectations are and what the reality is. Our current setup doesn't allow us to run things the way we used to in the local league. We are a smaller fish in a bigger pond and we now have to rely on the draft for talent or trying to entice players against the likes of the bigger Victorian clubs. We expect new players to be rubbed with the magical Port dust of years past and turn into supermen. We are also in an environment where there's less loyalty going both ways, clubs having to deal with the player manager's persuasions and many other things. Having said that the ultimate representation of the club is on the ground. What I'm seeing over the past five or so years and probably further back is a cultural problem. Things that were an expectation aren't there. The never give up, fight til the end, give your all doesn't show. The players may think they're trying but you only have to watch the successful teams over the same period especially at the pointy end to see we have a way to go to match the intensity required. This rests squarely on the heirarchy. They are ultimately responsible for what we're seeing. All the predictable unsuccessful playing patterns, erratic results, inconsistent efforts, goalless qtrs, matches peetering predictably, is on them and they need to be cleaned out.

chickentendies

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Mar 26, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Kane is a genuine stain on the club and brings absolutely 0 value to Port Adelaide. So far he has:

1) Exacerbated a club divide during our time of need
2) ****ed off to be a fireman halfway through a season we were very much in, only to give up 2 seconds afterwards
3) Continuously defended Hinkley based purely on his own self-interest, that being that he gave him a life line in 2012 according to his book. This has consequently assisted in ensuring the media stays pretty silent about our head coach situation

Shock jocks annoy me but he does it because its profitable for his management. I'm ok with that side. It just baffles me how mysteriously quiet he is about Hinkley, yet so willing to dig in about other coaches constantly.

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
Our game plan is not really any game plan (AFL or SANFL).

The Bays had a system. It was basic. It worked. It was uncomplicated. They would make body contact at the on ball scrimmages and marking contests. The ball would be jarred free. They had crumbers to lap up the morsels and distribute to outside runners. Under pressure, they just tossed handballs forward at a 45 degree angle knowing that a team mate would be trained to run to that position. Never changed. Never was picked up by players nor coaching staff at Port. Simple as!
Contest every ball. Get numbers there. Run it away. Ended up with unpressurised, fluent ball movement into attack.

Contrast that with Port. We let them go unmarked so many times. Gould, for example, kicked long to the corridor several instances. A Port and Bays player wrestled each other, the third man up was a Glenelg player, who floated across them and marked uncontested. Time after time!

We just bombed it high and ugly (seriously, I have never seen a game where one side had so many wobbly punts and complete miskicks). How do you bloody expect someone to mark those?

We would all fly for the mark, spoil each other, and have no crumbers.

Fundamental footy 101.

Epic fail Port. We got caught HTB or smothered kicks so often because we don't have a simple system. We grab the ball, then look around to spot up a team mate, taking a second or two. When we eventually see one, it's taken too much time, and it's too late, and we are caught. If we do get it away to a team mate, sometimes it's not the first option 'A' but it's to team mate 'B', so players who had anticipated getting the next possession in the chain were caught out of position, and someone else who had not thought he would be required then had to hot foot it to get into position to receive the ball from team mate 'B' instead of team mate 'A'. And it's all under pressure, and consequently there is no fluency in the movement forward.

All hail King Ken's (flawed and clueless) game plan permeating through every level of the Club!

Which explains why we were so "deer in the headlights" so often in pressure situations. Devise a winning game plan you ****ing idiots.

Agreed with most of the 'Tisers' best players for a change.

Suttcliffe - skipper's effort. Best after a shaky first ten minutes. Tried his guts out all day. Influential midfield and forward. Laid a lot of tackles and took the heavy hits, unlike so many others!
Garner - Scott kicked 3 goals (one when Garner was on the bench) and stood McBean and Reynolds for times as well. Hardly put a foot wrong. Courageous intercept marks running back into the pack. Laid tackles. Fearless character - can see why he is likened to Hodge. Needs AFL exposure - future skipper IMHO. Second best.
Frampton - didn't quite work for Billy, but people saying he had "checked out" are complete w***ers and have no clue. If anything he was trying too hard, and snatched at marks a bit too much. Still clunked at least half a dozen contested grabs. Kicked one goal set up two others, laid 3 bone jarring tackles, missed two shots he should have nailed, crashed packs and presented all day. Whilst he should have taken more marks, he was against 3 opponents most of the time, and at least brought the ball to ground - as mentioned before, not his fault our crumbers were non existent!!!! He actually gave a s**t as seen by the emotion he displayed out there. And played 80% of the game with an injured hand. Third best for me.
Lienert - hard to guage his game. Caught a lot HTB or smothered kicks (refer earlier paragraph regarding "system"). Lot of hack kicks to no great advantage, but at least he got the ball and gained good distance. Serviceable game.
McKenzie - solid. McBean had no influence up forward. Did his job. Finally go tht message in the third quarter and sent a bomb from the kickout to the centre circle, where Billy clunked a contested mark, hand balled off and ended up with a Suttcliffe goal. Serviceable.
Hayes - actually dominated the hitouts when rucking and a couple of nice grabs too. Needed to hit the ball into the open space. Was just dropping the ball at his feet but the Bays mids were spanking our inside mids and cleared the ball from his taps. Good game from the big guy. Serviceable.
Drew - shocking first half. Lifted in the second half and showed hitherto unseen physicality with smothers and crunching tackles, so he gets a pass mark for me for that.

None else deserved much praise tbh. Too timid at the contest. Need Cahill/Fos style blokes with big game temperament, physical courage, appetite for the contest, mental toughness, etc. We have recruited too many slow, timid players with no capacity to influence a game.

Trengove and Mayes - didn't give a yelp or impact positively when they did have the ball. Delist.
Farrell - timid. Unless he "does an Amon" and blossoms after a few years I would trade.
Frederick - hadn't played for nearly a month, and was rusty. Got caught a lot, but took them on and wasn't scared. Keeper!
Ladhams - not his best gam but took couple of good grabs. Still keep as he has potential. Keep.
Hewett - did he play? Delist.
Cox - tried hard, two grabs in packs and goals. Enough to keep him on, not a great game yesterday though.
Woodcock - never seen him do much in all the games I have watched this year. Strange draft selection, and shows nothing to me. Bye.
Marshall - understand all he has been through, and credit to the lad for that. But not ever going to be the great white hope contested marking beast we wish him to be. At best a poor man's Hoff type of player. Really lacks presentation as a forward and at times looks like he doesn't care. Clueless when switched onto McBean. Come at me, but I would trade him as much for his own sake as the Club's.

A sorry day for the PAFC and the devaluation and ridicule brought onto the PB.

Smithy7

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 1, 2014
South of Scotland
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Kane is a genuine stain on the club and brings absolutely 0 value to Port Adelaide. So far he has:

1) Exacerbated a club divide during our time of need
2) f’ed off to be a fireman halfway through a season we were very much in, only to give up 2 seconds afterwards
3) Continuously defended Hinkley based purely on his own self-interest, that being that he gave him a life line in 2012 according to his book. This has consequently assisted in ensuring the media stays pretty silent about our head coach situation

Shock jocks annoy me but he does it because its profitable for his management. I'm ok with that side. It just baffles me how mysteriously quiet he is about Hinkley, yet so willing to dig in about other coaches constantly.
And
4) Agreeing with his father that the Port Adelaide in the AFL is not the real Port Adelaide that was in the SANFL. What a dumb dumb LOL

Windy Cindy

Premiership Player
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Ratugolea spent 20 games doing literally nothing while he was learning the game.

This is exactly what we're talking about when we say we want Marshall to be given a run. It takes time. Ratugolea has been backed in like no developing KPF for us in the Hinkley era
In fairness to Marshall, ratugolea has a game plan unlike our lets bomb it from 50 on forwards heads continously and only has danger as a s**t kick marshall has a midfield full of s**t kicks

Windy Cindy

Premiership Player
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I am absolutely gutted. Not just because we lost the Grand Final today.

I am gutted because today its finally sunk in to me that the club i grew up supporting no longer exists. It is dead

Today we saw nothing more than the Port Power reserves (yes i said that deliberately) wiping their arse with our sacred guernsey.
They just didnt give a fu** today. No desire. No intensity. No hardness.. nothing
You could have chucked a power guernsey on this team today as they played exactly the way the AFL team played and lost the exact same ******* way

The team i grew up supporting would have smashed the living suitcase out of any Glenelg team that thought they had a chance to beat us in a grand final. We have been fed all week the grand finals of old. Scotty Hodges dragging himself on to the ground after busting his knee up in 1990. Against all odds we would grind teams into the dirt in GFs. 1 goal 8 in 1989. 1994 when we were 5 goals down early against the eagles will our way back into the game then put our foot down on their throats. We were feared and hated because of who we were and what we stood for. The PBs gave the other teams nightmares.

I yearn for what i had when i was a little tacker. Now we are nothing more than a soulless franchise masquerading as the PAFC and its killing me.

Today i went. After the first 10 minutes i lost all emotion again because we have seen all this s**t before and i am ******* over it.

It makes me sick because we lost to Glenelg.. ******* Glenelg.. and to think that smug campaigner Graham Cornes would be grinning like a Cheshire cat makes me angry.

Im falling out of love with my football club and its making me incredibly sad.
i cant like this post enough

great post

Windy Cindy

Premiership Player
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He needs to more about him than just a good kick. Doesn't seem to be read the play well.
for me he struts around with a bit of arrogance that he shouldn't have, like he is just happy to make the afl team and always seems in cruise mode with no urgency.

another who needs a massive pre-season and an attitude change.

Mar 10, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
for me he struts around with a bit of arrogance that he shouldn't have, like he is just happy to make the afl team and always seems in cruise mode with no urgency.

another who needs a massive pre-season and an attitude change.
He doesn't need to do anything because he is already signed up for 3 years. Could cruise for the next 2 and then play decent football in the 3rd if that's what he wants.

He’s not good close to goal (leading or crumbing) and he doesn’t work hard enough to be a half forward so I’m not sure where he fits

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I watched it and was mildly disappointed with the performance but that was as deep as it ran for me. Basically Glenelg FC's league side beat Port Adelaide FC's reserves side. It's a mix of players that changes so much each season it is Forrest Gump's veritable box of chocolates every year. Last year we were rubbish, this year we were good, next year who knows?

Next year the changes to the Magpies could extend to:

Ladhams (AFL) - has to play most of next year at the top level
Garner (AFL) - he was a mix of good and bad yesterday. Started to see the white line fever in him during the finals. Some massively courageous plays, some stuff ups but being forced to play mismatches because of our undersized key defensive posts didn't help. Would have helped to have Grundy alongside him
Drew (AFL) - shoudn't be playing sanfl
Marshall (AFL) - didn't do much but he has to be a fixture in the AFL side next year if we are at all serious
Farrell - like Ron Jeremy, in and out
Frampton - likely to be at another club
Atley - gone, traded or delisted
Trengove - back at Sturt
Hewett - North Adelaide

There's no continuity and it's hard to feel attachment to anything other than a piece of cloth.

The sanfl had the result it wanted, the integrity of the competition was maintained. It was a mix of our misfiring on the day and the umps giving us no chance to clear our engines. Couldn't really blame one thing exclusively.

Gra Gra Cornes (who will never in his lifetime see Glenelg beat a genuine Port Adelaide side in a grand final) was already mounting the case on Saturday for not counting games by Port and Adelaide for points. David Wildy to his credit tried to make the case for these games then being a farce because the sanfl teams would play reserves sides. Cornes dismissed him saying the AFL clubs would get what they wanted, the opportunity to try their players in the AFL team structures. Wonder what he would have made of that when he was coach of the camries? Wildy was funny because he said he could come at Port being in the sanfl as a traditional club, but not Adelaide.

Anyway I'm sure Koch has congratulated his little league counterpart because that's how he rolls.
Games against Port shouldn't count...

Except Grand Final wins!!! #redemption

Poor old Gra Gra ties himself in such knots.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sep 24, 2008
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
La lakers. Oakland Raiders, bunny’s
Until the club is handed back to the fans you’ll continue getting the same suits peddling the same sanitised lines and pushing the same SANFL/AFL agenda.

I never thought I’d find myself saying this but I miss the Port Adelaide of my youth when the SANFL actually meant something. I miss the days travelling out to Alberton and hating everything your club stood for, but at the same time hatefully respecting you and having some banter filled but meaningful conversations with true football people.

That no f*cks attitude your club exemplified so well has been replaced by an apathy and this pathetic ‘rivalry’ the powers that be at both the PAFC and AFC like to continuously talk up between the SA sides is just a cover up and a front for a system that’s heavily geared against the SA sides.

Sorry for the rant from a non-Port supporter but SA football as a whole is in enormous strife. Never been more disenfranchised with the game as a whole in my life.
Amen!!!!

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
Well now, The AFL gives the SANFL money each year. What happens if that stops lol
The price of a cold pie and a warm beer at AO will go through the roof.

The AFL has been trying to implement AFLSA for years but the SNAFL refuse to step away from the trough. The AFL have offered increased funding for footy in SA if the SNAFL fall into line but I can't see them withdrawing funding over this.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The price of a cold pie and a warm beer at AO will go through the roof.

The AFL has been trying to implement AFLSA for years but the SNAFL refuse to step away from the trough. The AFL have offered increased funding for footy in SA if the SNAFL fall into line but I can't see them withdrawing funding over this.
Unless there's a law against it the AFL just needs to start bypassing the SANFL. Start funding a TAC equivalent in SA as a start, so juniors aren't either playing school footy or against Ex-AFL players. Then expand from there. The AFL has the tools, but not the will.

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
Games against Port shouldn't count...

Except Grand Final wins!!! #redemption

Poor old Gra Gra ties himself in such knots
Ambassador Wrinkles: The PAFC in the AFL is a completely different club to the one that played in the SNAFL.

Ambassador Wrinkles: I hate the PAFC in the AFL because of the treachery of 1990.

o_O

View attachment 751033

For those playing the sweep.
To be fair, this includes last touch out of bounds frees—which we gave away far more of. I didn't think the umpiring was good, but I don't think the free kick count is proof of that.

Unless there's a law against it the AFL just needs to start bypassing the SANFL.

You need to read up on the SMA structure and the contract they have with the State Govt.

SNAFL has been handed a license to tell the AFL to get ****ed for the next 80 years.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You need to read up on the SMA structure and the contract they have with the State Govt.

SNAFL has been handed a license to tell the AFL to get f’ed for the next 80 years.
SMA yes, I'm aware of that. I meant as far as the AFL starting it's own SA based competition and giving money directly to 'Grassroots' footy, bypassing the SANFL taking it's cut (and stuffing the implementation). If the SANFL is reduced to being half the SMA, plus the SANFL competition itself, it's harder for the government and others to ignore they shouldn't be involved with anything AFL, including and especially AO.

Back