News Colin Carter and Geelong's "ugly" fans

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Must be some massive faux pas to draw SJ out of BF hiding ;)

And in the aftermath, Carter revealed to 3AW Football the extent of some of the vitriol directed at key people at the club.

“I’m amazed at how ugly a very small rump of the supporters are,” he said.

“I’ve had letters over the last couple of weeks which are actually quite foul and this isn’t social media, these are people who in some cases who sign their names.

“They’re talking about our people in a way that’s completely disrespectful and completely inconsistent with how Geelong holds itself.

“It’s a very, very small rump, we enjoy enormous support from the majority of our members but there is an ugly side out there that is pretty distressing.

“If I was in the firing line like our players and coaches, it would get me down.”

Key tidbits in order

- Bitterly disappointed but well done to Richmond
- Thought we were a real show at HT, well done to Richmond for coming back, even thought we were a real show in the last.
- Wondered whether being run over was running out of legs, but no post mortem done yet.
- Robbo queries about changes afoot. Lists ruckman, Taylor among other factors
- Carter responds by stating that every year during his tenure the media ponder these questions and write us off. Coming 3rd is a good year.
- Baffled as to how coming 3rd out of 18 is seen as a failure. Good platform to attack next year, the summit is hard to reach.
- will always be changes to the list but no more drastic than other years. Only 2 2011 premiership players played on Friday and we're rebuilding on the run since then CC: catempire analysis. Remain in contention and again baffled as how that's seen as failure.
- There will be a review and changes to the list will be made to ensure that we can have a crack again next year.
- Robbo questions about Ablett's intentions. Carter says he has no idea what he intends to do. Hope he plays on.
- Paul Roos asks about how Carter handles his role. Connecting fans, sponsors, the club and understanding all facets whilst being external to the day to day operations to gain an outside the bubble view. Especially the day after losing a final.
- Carter defends Scott's record as coach highlighting his W/L % record.
- He's reached out to leaders, and key players to state they have the clubs support.
- States we're successful on and off the field.
- His focus as an external director is to make sure all key footy department personnel sync ideas, they're well discussed and use expert opinions when needed.
- Involve numerous people in the footy dept so it's not one voice making all the decisions.
- Roos questions about the footy fan side of things. Carter then launches the defence that is in the OP of this thread.
- Does not condone abusive behaviour.
- Robbo then gives anecdote of fans sending him messages stating Scott needs to go and ask Carter how he accepts that criticism.
- Doesn't accept it, those that know him (Scott) have a completely different view. Terrific human being and coach.
- Doesn't know why in some quarters he attracts some flak and queries if Scott is too thoughtful for some fringe group of fans.
- He doesn't buy the criticism at all.
- Lloyd asks about Blicavs on the wing. Carter responds by not caring about the decision itself but as per above is interested in whether that decision is well syndicated and thought out by the coaching group.
- Doesn't care about what decisions are made by the coaching group with regards to match strategy but whether the half a dozen to a dozen in the footy department who are meant to know about this stuff reached an informed decision.
- Asked about Kelly. Let it go through to the keeper.

I agreed with a lot of what he had to say. His criticism of a small subsection of fans doesn't faze me, I too don't see eye to eye with that small minority.
They are the ugly side of the fan base and are disrespectful to the club. Well said Colin.
Keep pretending its a small minority.

Jimmy Yamazaki

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Anyone able to read the article in the Addy from Brian Cook about the vocal minority? Any mention of finals fatigue this time from our fearless leader?

Basically echoing Carter's comments.

A GROUP of Geelong supporters expressing anger and disgust via social media following Friday night’s loss to Richmond have been dubbed a ‘loud minority’ by chief executive Brian Cook.

“We were ranked number one in terms of culture in our engagement with players this year and have been one or two for three or four years,” Cook said.

“Our staff are highly satisfied, our sponsors are highly satisfied and our members are highly satisfied.

“So the metrics are saying we are doing OK, and if they weren’t I would be really concerned, so when I see the odd Facebook post from a disgruntled member I don’t get too concerned.

“If those comments were being reflected in a lot of the research we are doing I would be really concerned but none of it is … so I don’t buy what a small minority of supporters, a loud minority, on Facebook and social media are saying.”

Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Basically echoing Carter's comments.
Ahhh so social media and Facebook rather than letters sent to the coach and players ect

Interesting to be bringing that up , smells like deflection personally considering social media and Facebook posts can consists of trolls and wouldn’t be a true reflection of the supporting base.

Seem very very strange to be focusing on that aspect of communication.

Aug 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
From what Colin Carter said about his trip to Barcelona, he has a very low opinion of football supporters. Geelong provides its fans with "one hell of a ride", so we should pay hundreds of dollars for that privilege and not expect anything else, including admittance to games. Certainly not expect to be able to question anything that the club does or says!

Barca (and other Euro clubs) have their fans over a barrel. It's the ultimate model of exploitation. If that comes about in AFL, I'll be out the door quick smart.

Personal abuse is completely unacceptable, but we have the right to question the club's direction.

Maybe these are the "ugly fans" Carter is talking about - sorry but there's no excuse if the following is true:

Apparently some Geelong member's have gotten a hold of Chris Scott's private email address and have sent him horrible, atrocious emails threatening both him and his family since Geelongs exit from the finals on Friday night.

Micksy

Premiership Player
Feb 16, 2006
Ballarat
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Cowwarr, Fish Creek
Heard a professed Cat Neanderthal on the radio during the week who was an embarrassment.

Let me guess...cave good, fire hot?

People keep accusing randos of saying horrible things, yet I haven't been able to work out what was actually said.

Nov 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Maybe these are the "ugly fans" Carter is talking about - sorry but there's no excuse if the following is true:

Apparently some Geelong member's have gotten a hold of Chris Scott's private email address and have sent him horrible, atrocious emails threatening both him and his family since Geelongs exit from the finals on Friday night.

No excuse for that at all.

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham

I really hope that's not true. Disgusting behaviour if so.

Nov 30, 2000
No longer in a premiership drought
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
LUFC/MSRLC/MVFC
Has anyone started the process of gathering names of people demanding change? I don't know when the election will take place for a position on the board but inaction will see this result again and again just like ground hog day

We are the only club in the league without a board member who has experience in football in an on-field/playing level. Even the Suns have a board member who was part of the Brisbane Lions Match Committee. The closest we have is Hugh Seward who used to be our club doctor for 25 years. During our flag era we had both Doug Wade and Gareth Andrews on the board, experienced football people.

Sep 29, 2009
Belgrave
AFL Club
Geelong
The narrative has been changed.

Now if you don't believe Scott is so good the team actually overachieves for him, and Blicavs on the wing/first ruck aren't genius moves, then you can only be one of those abusive letter writers he is speaking about. And remember, always start a comment with apologizing for your views with an apology over letters you have never seen, didn't write.

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
If he wants 100,000 members best they change their strategies of how they communicate to the fans because they are thought and treated as nothing more than an ATM at the moment.

Hmm yeah look I'm happy overall being a member, but there has been a real change in the last few years, a lot more emails trying to get me to buy stuff. Do feel more like a marketing/sales lead than a member at times.

God some footy people are absoloute pelicans. The only thing I hate about footy culture is the sense of entitlement people have, so much that they think it's allowable behaviour to threaten players or coaches for not performing, spit on them etc

No excuse for that at all.
I really hope that's not true. Disgusting behaviour if so.

I hope there's no truth to it, but if there is and those people are members of the club, I'd like to think that the club would take action such as removal of membership. Some may seem that excessive, but it shouldn't be tolerated

No issues with people questioning decisions or the direction of the club

Back