Rumour GFC 2019 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The talk online is that Riccardi will 100% be drafted. The question is, what pick is too early to pull the trigger.
If he's there with our 2nd round pick at Pick 33-36, then for sure you have to lock him in.
I'm surprised we didn't go for him in the mid-season draft, just to secure him.
From memory we didn’t have any pics for the mid season draft?

Imho Constable rates himself abit to highy if he thinks he's a walk up start at other clubs.
I think if has a good preseason and does whats asked of him from the coaches he should get plenty of more games.
Pity hes abit slow but I'm hoping if he hits the gym he could be our JPK type.
Part of me actually rates this. A lot of AFL is played above the shoulders.

Having said that I don't believe it. I find it staggering that a player as smart (intellectually) as him doesn't read the tea leaves on what makes a successful AFL career and where the opportunities lie.

Changing clubs well before you have made it is fraught with danger unless your on the last chance salon

Correct. We had no long term injuries so we couldn’t have a pick.

We may have been able to put Cunico on the long term injury list, but there's also a cost to drafting players mid-years. You can either open up a spot on your list to add them for the next season or there was a fee you paid them if you were letting them go

But maybe the club decided that the available players weren't going to fill a hole and hence no need to try to force changes

I was a bit naive here but I'm surprised to see we have pick 16 and Collingwood 15, I thought the moment they became the home prelim team after beating us that they move up the draft order

I was a bit naive here but I'm surprised to see we have pick 16 and Collingwood 15, I thought the moment they became the home prelim team after beating us that they move up the draft order

Based on what I've read from others, we were playing in Preliminary Final 1 so thus we finish 3rd, and the loser of Preliminary Final 2 (Pies vs GWS) finish 4th

Steven was 7th in the Brownlow 12 months ago I personally find it very hard to believe that the Saints are just going to let him go for a 3rd Rounder.

Sounds like they're doing the right thing for letting Jack go.He's got a few issues maybe a fresh start will do him the world of good.
Steven been the hesrt and soul of the saints. I think they will wish him at the best at his hew club.

That’s one of the more insulting offers I’ve seen put up. I’d prefer he goes to the draft than accept that.
Exactly and on top of that McClure on radio this morning ( Is he clued in?) that the upcoming draft drops off a lot after pick 6 or something and that the following year’s draft is already seriously compromised by father/son picks. We are going to lose out here big time by the looks. So WC can take a hike.

Exactly and on top of that McClure on radio this morning ( Is he clued in?) that the upcoming draft drops off a lot after pick 6 or something and that the following year’s draft is already seriously compromised by father/son picks. We are going to lose out here big time by the looks. So WC can take a hike.

Given the Catters response, obviously the picks weren't in the right range. It was never meant to be about the picks themselves, just about the idea of bringing in ST Kilda to help the trade process as GFC seem to have their eye on Jack Steven.

Given the Catters response, obviously the picks weren't in the right range. It was never meant to be about the picks themselves, just about the idea of bringing in ST Kilda to help the trade process as GFC seem to have their eye on Jack Steven.
Right well why didn’t you say so. Still I reckon the Steven deal will get done without much help needed and those picks are so far off what Kelly is worth, that no discussion will even begin. WC is going to have to be better than that. Pretty cheeky given how many times they overlooked Kelly.

None of the Kelly pics will be used to get Stevens so I don’t know why you think the club will need outside help to get a player that should be traded for a 3rd round pic

Again just shows how little clue you have on the situation and imo just stirring things up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

None of the Kelly pics will be used to get Stevens so I don’t know why you think the club will need outside help to get a player that should be traded for a 3rd round pic

Again just shows how little clue you have on the situation and imo just stirring things up

I have prefaced many of my posts by saying I don't know as much as other about trading/drafting.

The reason why I post on GFC board is just to get a different perspective. Some of the posters here are actually insightful and give me a better understanding of how things will play out.

I consider that a better option than exclusively hanging out on the Weagles board and only talking to people whose opinion is very similar to mine.

Last edited:

I wouldn’t be taking McClure’s word.

Edit - and to clarify, the general consensus is the top end of the draft isn’t as strong as previous years, and the first round is fairly even. From Cal Twomey (love him or hate him, he has good draft insight):

THIS year's NAB AFL Draft has been recognised as one of the most even in recent years.
Without the clear standouts of last year but having a variety of positions covered in the first round, the early part of the 2019 pool should have something for everyone.”

I have prefaced many of my posts by saying I don't know as much as other about trading/drafting.

The reason why I post on GFC board is just to get a different perspective. Some of the posters here are actually insightful and give me a better understanding of how things will play out.

I consider that a better option than just hanging out on the Weagles board listening to people whose opinion is very similar to mine.

I'd say it's going to be very similar on each teams board when discussing trade scenarios

We are all going to think extremely highly of our own players and want total maximum value for them in any trade, while any player/s we are connected to from other clubs we are probably going to undervalue to an extent and not want to pay too highly for them.

It's something you hear every trade period and it does ring true - the best deals are the ones where fans/supporters of the teams involved both feel they got bent over.

Taking Steven as an example, we've had St Kilda supporters posting in this thread who are going on about a 1st round pick for him or if we including a player like Constable/Guthrie etc we might then get a 3rd round pick back. For Geelong fans it seems we are leaning towards wanting it to be for a 3rd round pick, but if a trade is to be done it's probably going to be closer to a 2nd round pick - something which may upset fans from both sides

Like those names, particularly Jackson. But, I'd be hoping for one bona fide mid from this draft amongst the first couple of our picks. Not sure how, but I think, failing to land a pick in the first 8, we need to try and trade into it. Maybe for the Blues pick 8 or Freo pick 6?
If the Cats really wanted to stick it to the Eagles, they could draft Deven Robertson. He's Darren Glass's nephew, and the Eagles are apparently super keen on drafting him. One of the best mids in the draft, and took out this year's Larke medal (best player in U18s championships). Previous winners, from 2011 onwards, have been Coniglio, Whitfield, Sheed, Petracca, Schache, Graham, Allen and Walsh.

The pure truth is ..come back in 4 years and we will know.
Most of the time when they talk about the quality of the draft its rel to tall talent ..and how many are ready to rock. Most of the mids are also a fraction short.. but there is some talent there. There is no BKing thisyear however let alone Mking , Luc etc.
imo..if guys like Stephen and eTaylor get thru to late 20's then the draft must be reasonable.

Last edited:
If the Cats really wanted to stick it to the Eagles, they could draft Deven Robertson. He's Darren Glass's nephew, and the Eagles are apparently super keen on drafting him. One of the best mids in the draft, and took out this year's Larke medal (best player in U18s championships). Previous winners, from 2011 onwards, have been Coniglio, Whitfield, Sheed, Petracca, Schache, Graham, Allen and Walsh.

No lies. We want Robertson. So do many clubs.

If we don't get Roberston, we would be happy with Elijah Taylor (relative of TK) or Trent Rivers.

Darren Glass will be our List Manager from December. Maybe we would see which club Robertson went to and make a play for him down the track.

No lies. We want Robertson. So do many clubs.

If we don't get Roberston, we would be happy with Elijah Taylor (relative of TK) or Trent Rivers.

Darren Glass will be our List Manager from December. Maybe we would see which club Robertson went to and make a play for him down the track.
To be perfectly honest, I think the Eagles would be silly to trade for Tim Kelly. With the number of good WA midfielders (plus Taylor) that will be around those picks, they should really just take them to the draft and let Freo trade for Kelly. Freo have the better currency, they have Darcy who Geelong would surely be more than happy to take along with picks, and I think Kelly would fit Freo's game plan far better. Seems like it would be best for everyone (Geelong, Freo and West Coast) if Kelly nominates Freo, but ultimately it is up to him

To be perfectly honest, I think the Eagles would be silly to trade for Tim Kelly. With the number of good WA midfielders (plus Taylor) that will be around those picks, they should really just take them to the draft and let Freo trade for Kelly. Freo have the better currency, they have Darcy who Geelong would surely be more than happy to take along with picks, and I think Kelly would fit Freo's game plan far better. Seems like it would be best for everyone (Geelong, Freo and West Coast) if Kelly nominates Freo, but ultimately it is up to him

TK is less of a fit for Freo given where they are at right now. They have a core of very good players under 23. IMO they should be trying to compliment that group using their high picks to draft with high value talent with the idea of contending for their first cup in 3-5 years.

TK being at Freo means an immediate lift (but not in contention) at the expense of medium/long term premiership goals.

This is just my opinion and I may have characterised Freo wrong. But that is my sense of where they are at.

So why don't we draft this Elijah Taylor (relative of TK) as a ploy to keep TK at the cats?
Because Tim wanting to leave has nothing to do with actually playing at Geelong, it has to do with what his wife wants as they have 3 very young children. I suspect if that wasn't in play, Tim would stay at Geelong no problems, but this is a family issue, not a football one. I don't think a cousin playing at the club would solve this for Tim's wife.

TK is less of a fit for Freo given where they are at right now. They have a core of very good players under 23. IMO they should be trying to compliment that group using their high picks to draft with high value talent with the idea of contending for their first cup in 3-5 years.

TK being at Freo means an immediate lift (but not in contention) at the expense of medium/long term premiership goals.

This is just my opinion and I may have characterised Freo wrong. But that is my sense of where they are at.

Any team that can not fit in TK ..must be one heck of a team. While I sort of get what you are saying ..but recent evidence says teams like Brisbane and Bulldogs ..have shown teams can bounce quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back