Game Day Richmond Tigers v GWS Giants - Grand Final - Sat 28 Sep, 2:30PM AEST, MCG

Tigers or Giants to win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Merger (takeover)

Re-branding. And I say that as a Fitzroy Football Club shareholder in 1996 and a shareholder of the very same independent club in 2019.

Still a little bit different to Footscray >>>Western Bulldogs though

Nup. The Brisbane Bears are the same club as the Brisbane Lions. They just have AFL permission to use Fitzroy's AFL owned identity. Fitzroy's licence to play in the AFL competition was withdrawn. They now play elsewhere.

GWS are no more manufactured than the Brisbane Lions are.

Last edited:
STATE LEAGUE GRAND FINAL RESULTS

VFL — Richmond 8.10 (58) def Williamstown 7.13 (55)

SANFL — Glenelg 11.7 (73) def Port Adelaide 6.9 (45)

WAFL — Subiaco 18.12 (120) def South Fremantle 3.6 (24)

NEAFL — Brisbane Lions 20.15 (135) def Southport 8.11 (59)

All big cats...

Big trouble for Rich if Wet. Ball is constantly dispute in the wet and consequently body size matters.

On the week end - Players 181cm or less

Rich - 9

GWS - 2
This narrative changes every week. A few weeks back we were unbeatable in the wet but mediocre in the dry. Which is it?

Re-branding. And I say that as Fitzroy Football Club shareholder in 1996 and a shareholder of the very same independent club in 2019.

Nup. The Brisbane Bears are the same club as the Brisbane Lions. They just have AFL permission to use Fitzroy's AFL owned identity. Fitzroy's licence to play in the AFL competition was withdrawn. They now play elsewhere.

GWS are no more manufactured than the Brisbane Lions are.

I wasn’t entering the “plastic” debate ... it doesn’t really matter what supporters of Richmond/ any other traditional Victorian clubs think about GWS as a club, their players are real & highly talented.

Meh, I mean, it's true there was very little to no demand for a club in GWS, and it was a strategic move to expand the game (I personally thought a second Sydney club was premature), but it's a club with players and staff who are invested and passionate supporters - a growing supporter base - so if you disrespect it or dismiss it on the basis it's in rugby heartland you should do the same for Sydney and Brisbane.

I wasn’t entering the “plastic” debate ... it doesn’t really matter what supporters of Richmond/ any other traditional Victorian clubs think about GWS as a club, their players are real & highly talented.

They are. Either way the Brisbane Lions are still the same club as the Brisbane Bears.

Meh, I mean, it's true there was very little to no demand for a club in GWS, and it was a strategic move to expand the game (I personally thought a second Sydney club was premature), but it's a club with players and staff who are invested and passionate supporters - a growing supporter base - so if you disrespect it or dismiss it on the basis it's in rugby heartland you should do the same for Sydney and Brisbane.
I have total respect for GWS supporters. I just this GWS have a long way to go before they can be considered a football club. A generation of players, some time rebuilding, organic grass-roots growth and I’m fully on board.

Until then, I find it hard to understand why there’s much support outside the supporter base.

In any case, I have no idea who will win. I’m confident the players will do their best, but like Chris Scott says, it’s not hard to work out how to beat Richmond. It’s the execution that matters, and GWS are the most skilful team we have seen for a long time.

Are GWS a team of champions still, or will they become a champion team? That is the question for me.

Raining all day is very different to the conditions in the WC game.

If its a hard slog with rain all day - do you actually think body size will be irrelevant?
This isn't the 80s. The ground won't be turned into a bog. The West Coast game was a total slog from half time onwards. The weather conditions didn't really seem to affect the outcome as the Tigers continued the momentum built during the 2nd quarter. If you want to argue anything, we were better off in the wet that day. If it's wet, body size will no doubt be a factor, but so too will ball handling and you only have to see some of the play we produced in the wet in the back half of the year to see our ability in that aspect.

Honest question, but how are Tiger fans feeling this week? Confident? Nervous? Both?

Pains me to say it but I think two flags for this Richmond side in three years is about right.

I have total respect for GWS supporters. I just this GWS have a long way to go before they can be considered a football club. A generation of players, some time rebuilding, organic grass-roots growth and I’m fully on board.

Is there a time frame?

I mean our grassroots are growing rapidly.
Our members are the 2nd biggest in the state of any sport.
Our attendance avgs are around the king of sports in Sydney

Our tv while not great are better than A-league, Super Rugby and are equal to Storm ratings in Melbourne.

So.... when are we a "real club" in your eyes?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This isn't the 80s. The ground won't be turned into a bog. The West Coast game was a total slog from half time onwards. The weather conditions didn't really seem to affect the outcome as the Tigers continued the momentum built during the 2nd quarter. If you want to argue anything, we were better off in the wet that day. If it's wet, body size will no doubt be a factor, but so too will ball handling and you only have to see some of the play we produced in the wet in the back half of the year to see our ability in that aspect.

Lets not try to reinvent the wheel - all day wet slippery conditions favour big bodies, that's an established fact.
GWS will thrive in stoppages which due, to the conditions will increase, and then press home their advantage of strength around the ball.

Your guy will get ragged dolled - infact many of your supporters have been lamenting the size of your team as a vulnerability frequently during the year.
It's nothing new.

The only thing that beats GWS on a wet day like Saturday, will be fatigue from that taxing game.

Lets not try to reinvent the wheel - all day wet slippery conditions favour big bodies, that's an established fact.
GWS will thrive in stoppages which due, to the conditions will increase, and then press home their advantage of strength around the ball.

Your guy will get ragged dolled - infact many of your supporters have been lamenting the size of your team as a vulnerability frequently during the year.
It's nothing new.

The only thing that beats GWS on a wet day like Saturday, will be fatigue from that taxing game.
Dude, most of the back half of the season has been us powering away from sides in the wet. We've been very good as whole in the wet since the start of 2017.
I'm not sure there's much better evidence than that.
Wet or dry, the weather won't worry us. The only reason I'd suggest wet weather would be to our disadvantage would be if we were streets ahead of GWS and the wet would allow them to keep us within reach. But that's clearly not the case.

Is there a time frame?

I mean our grassroots are growing rapidly.
Our members are the 2nd biggest in the state of any sport.
Our attendance avgs are around the king of sports in Sydney

Our tv while not great are better than A-league, Super Rugby and are equal to Storm ratings in Melbourne.

So.... when are we a "real club" in your eyes?
Perhaps that’ll be “when you’re not playing Richmond in a Grand Final”!

But when? As I’ve already said, when the current gifted (in both senses) players have retired, and you’ve built a new team, I’m fully on board. Until then, from the outside, it just looks like a marketing exercise. Perhaps I’m just old-fashioned, and think toil and hardship is the making of success.

Dude, most of the back half of the season has been us powering away from sides in the wet. We've been very good as whole in the wet since the start of 2017.
I'm not sure there's much better evidence than that.
Wet or dry, the weather won't worry us. The only reason I'd suggest wet weather would be to our disadvantage would be if we were streets ahead of GWS and the wet would allow them to keep us within reach. But that's clearly not the case.

There has not been a day as wet as Saturday all year.

So Dude, maybe pay attention to the detail in my post - if its a contested, all day slog due to the wet conditions, the powerful bodies will prevail.
Its that simple.
In semi dry or dry - you win.

It's not rocket science -

Do not delude yourself that you are invincible.

It's nothing new.

A wet day means more turnovers and more stoppages. Fascinating!

GWS have a lot of talent on their list and have shown good work rate & aggression this finals series. Their brand has stood up and the post season bye has helped them. I like De boer’s finals series and surely he will quell dusty, Cotchin or Prestia. Their tall backs will have lynch & riewoldt covered , so I think they have a chance. However that last 20 minutes of the prelim they looked cooked. Tigers to overrun them and win by 30 points.

It's nothing new.

Ragged dolled? Turn it up. Just because your mids turned there belly's up does not mean ours will. Now I know you are bitter and salty but point to the last time we lost s game in the wet? When you try go back to round 15 through to 19 all wet games, against strong midfield as we won those games.

GWS will be a hard contest and no doubt it's a true 50-50 game but our mids have proven these past 3 years they can match it with any side

So Dude, maybe pay attention to the detail in my post - if its a contested, all day slog due to the wet conditions, the powerful bodies will prevail.
Its that simple.

Your last sentence makes no sense. I explicitly said we were NOT a far better team, if we were it's the only situation we'd be at a disadvantage in the wet.
There have CLEARLY been wetter days than Saturday. There was only 4.6mm of rain. It wasn't even the wettest day of September.
Wet or dry we are slight favourites, but either team can win it.

Ragged dolled? Turn it up. Just because your mids turned there belly's up does not mean ours will. Now I know you are bitter and salty but point to the last time we lost s game in the wet? When you try go back to round 15 through to 19 all wet games, against strong midfield as we won those games.

GWS will be a hard contest and no doubt it's a true 50-50 game but our mids have proven these past 3 years they can match it with any side
Wasn't GWS one of those teams we played in the wet, RD16 I believe?

Its that simple.

Big bodies, yes that can help, however our game style is proven to be very very good in the wet winning most games played in the wet over a 3 year period.

It is widely publicised that we come into our own when the ball is on the deck, its our game plan.

Teams that struggle in the wet are usually teams that play a controlled game plan, which we dont.

Surge the ball forward is our plan regardless of conditions so we dont have to adapt as much as many others.

Your last sentence makes no sense. I explicitly said we were NOT a far better team, if we were it's the only situation we'd be at a disadvantage in the wet.
There have CLEARLY been wetter days than Saturday. There was only 4.6mm of rain. It wasn't even the wettest day of September.
Wet or dry we are slight favourites, but either team can win it.
Saturday wasn’t that wet. I spent most of the afternoon outside gardening and there was the odd shower.

Back