News Colin Carter and Geelong's "ugly" fans

Hmm yeah look I'm happy overall being a member, but there has been a real change in the last few years, a lot more emails trying to get me to buy stuff. Do feel more like a marketing/sales lead than a member at times.
But the emails they send you trying to flog stuff to you are the club engaging with the fans, they see that as a positive thing

frggr

Fan Favourite (they/them)
May 16, 2012
Poland
AFL Club
Geelong
I am going to have my say on this topic. Since 2013, we have continued to fall short of a Grand Final when the club has sold the farm (draft picks) since 2014 to place the club in the window to win a premiership from 2016 to 2020. From a list management point of view, the club would have expected 2 to 3 flags with 2016 and 2019 as the key years to win one.

There are no excuses in elite sport. In 10 years time, history will say that the 2012-2020 era was an unfulfilled era where the club fell short of winning 2 to 3 premierships to turn the Geelong Football Club into a great powerhouse club (A destination club for prospective employees).

History will not remember the premiership defeats and the preliminary final losses. As they say, there are no points for finishing 2nd and 3rd place. Welcome to elite sport.

From a coaching point of view, there has to be a cleanout of 2 to 3 assistant coaches who have been there since 2012 to:

1.Bring in new ideas into the club​
2.Challenge Chris Scott and Matthew Scarlett for the betterment of the club​
3. Have the responsibility to teach and train up the 0-100 gamers to play a brand of football that stands up in September. In other words, train up their skill level so they can handle the finals atmosphere (regardless if they are an exceptional to average AFL footballer).​

And, the club has to cop the Football Department Tax (Pay out the annual leave, long service leave and redundancy payments to Matthew Knights, Jason Rahilly and Shane O'Bree) to bring in MARK CHOCO WILLIAMS, Brendan McCartney and Darren Berwick).

Sticking with the same assistant coaches who have been there since 2012 when we continue to fall short is a bad move!!

THE GOV

s**t yes.

Our assistants need turning over just like our playing list has.

romeohwho

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 20, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Loud minority 🙄🙄🙄
Am hoping that is just the external noise from the club and internally they look at some of the coaching errors in the finals and someone explains to Scott that the sore loser press conferences are getting a bit tedious and he needs to lift his game.
I enjoy some aspects of his pressers and don’t mind his eccentricity but it’s too far. Can he just acknowledge another team’s quality without chipping away at them? Can he knock off the bonkers Cameron type comments? And the Richmond no good stuff. Etc.

Last edited:

Jensen

Team Captain
Jun 22, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
I actually think they might be right about the 'minority' tag. I get the feeling a good chunk of our members are content because of 07-11, and are now happy to just pay for their KP seat to watch the cult heroes Ablett, Danger etc. and whatever shiny new trade targets we get in each year. It could be a while before the majority of members have that premiership hunger again.

"AFTER finishing on top of the ladder, Geelong was knocked out of the premiership race by Richmond on Friday night. The loss has divided Cats fans, with many taking aim at Chris Scott for some of his questionable coaching decisions during the 2019 finals campaign. But is their frustration justified? Grady Hudd takes an in-depth look at Geelong’s most polarising figure".

Read more here:
https://www.oneononesportssa.com.au/chris-scott-geelongs-most-polarising-figure/?fbclid=IwAR2-wbnQcwvJ6e_unrM61LDAsLc__umepMHz9esxk6D46R3qm4y3fm9KIVk

romeohwho

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 20, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
"AFTER finishing on top of the ladder, Geelong was knocked out of the premiership race by Richmond on Friday night. The loss has divided Cats fans, with many taking aim at Chris Scott for some of his questionable coaching decisions during the 2019 finals campaign. But is their frustration justified? Grady Hudd takes an in-depth look at Geelong’s most polarising figure".

Read more here:
https://www.oneononesportssa.com.au/chris-scott-geelongs-most-polarising-figure/?fbclid=IwAR2-wbnQcwvJ6e_unrM61LDAsLc__umepMHz9esxk6D46R3qm4y3fm9KIVk
How do I access this article please?

AM

The standard you walk past is the one you accept
Aug 18, 2006
Here there and everywhere
AFL Club
Geelong
Let me guess...cave good, fire hot?

People keep accusing randos of saying horrible things, yet I haven't been able to work out what was actually said.
Well, perhaps you should have a look around this board. Not hard to decipher what is related to coaching and tactics et al and what is derived from personal dislike - even hatred. Start with Biggy Boy and work your way through.

All the Prez was doing was standing up for the coach. As you'd expect a good Prez to do.

ablett09

All Australian
Jan 22, 2010
melb
AFL Club
Geelong
I actually think they might be right about the 'minority' tag. I get the feeling a good chunk of our members are content because of 07-11, and are now happy to just pay for their KP seat to watch the cult heroes Ablett, Danger etc. and whatever shiny new trade targets we get in each year. It could be a while before the majority of members have that premiership hunger again.

I think most Geelong members understand that it's not easy to be number 1 in an 18 team comp and the way to go from 4 to 1 is not to spit the dummy and have a temper tantrum.

Seriously I am embarrassed by way some Geelong supporters have behaved.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Colin literally is old Geelong. Read an interview when he presided over us when we built the first Hickey stand.
Apparently to build it was like 10 years of the club's gross income.
Crazy ay. No government grants back then.

I'm not 100% it was the original Hickey Stand but I remember reading Sam Newman talking about Alex Popescu after Alex had passed and saying that Mr Popescu had donated all of the timber for it and quite a lot of other things for the club when they were in need.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
1. Yes, we overachieved.
2. Did you expect us to go 22-1?
3. We were lucky to beat them in round 1.
4. They were missing eight of their best players in round 12.
5. Richmond are a good side and better than us.
6. We’ve turned over an entire premiership list in that period.

Honestly, our fans are spoiled brats. We’d have to be the most entitled supporter group in the entire competition.

I had Port supporters over my place last night and they said “It must be nice going into every game knowing you’re a chance to win.” We’ve had unprecedented success since 2006 and still no satisfaction from the supporter base. It would be bad enough just to sook about it, but to actively look to have our coach, administration sacked is pathetic and ridiculous.

If we're not going to win the premiership then I couldn't care less if we win a h&a game or not. I want to see youngsters being trialled and performing or not so I can get a glimpse of where our next premiership is coming from. We've got a lot of talented youngsters and some we're not sure about, let's find out.

The longer we top up every year thinking we're still a chance and fall short, the harder the fall will eventually be.

chris9753

Team Captain
Aug 23, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
The narrative has been changed.

Now if you don't believe Scott is so good the team actually overachieves for him, and Blicavs on the wing/first ruck aren't genius moves, then you can only be one of those abusive letter writers he is speaking about.

I didn’t realise this was the behaviour the club was complaining about....got a link????

Sticksman

Club Legend
Feb 7, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong

Read more here:
That is an excellent, respectful and challenging article. Just in case it passes unnoticed by certain key staff at the club it should be emailed to Cook, Lloyd and others with a courteous covering message urging them to spend the 5 minutes it takes to read the article. Grady Hudd has expressed my concerns very clearly and succinctly despite he and I never having met.

I hope someone here can shoot the link to the club.

ATSAM

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Let’s not romanticise 2006’s review. Leading Teams did a good job and allowed some questions to be asked. The review allowed Thompson to keep his job.

But... in 2007, we didn’t exactly start off like a house on fire did we? The review didn’t kickstart performance.

It literally took the playing group to start pointing fingers for them to become the legendary team they are considered to be.
No a deal that brought Balme to the Club kept Thompson his job.

ATSAM

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Has anyone started the process of gathering names of people demanding change? I don't know when the election will take place for a position on the board but inaction will see this result again and again just like ground hog day

Do we know why they will be unopposed. Have the vacancies been advertised?

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm not 100% it was the original Hickey Stand but I remember reading Sam Newman talking about Alex Popescu after Alex had passed and saying that Mr Popescu had donated all of the timber for it and quite a lot of other things for the club when they were in need.
Yeah I bet he did. Doesn't get enough credit in our history I reckon.
Started from nothing too.

Aug 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I think most Geelong members understand that it's not easy to be number 1 in an 18 team comp and the way to go from 4 to 1 is not to spit the dummy and have a temper tantrum.

Seriously I am embarrassed by way some Geelong supporters have behaved.

The question is whether the way to go from 4 to 1 is the same way as club has been taking for the past number of years: i.e. recruit mature-age players to replace our retiring stars while bringing youngsters in below. Will topping up keep us close but not close enough?

I'm not suggesting a full rebuild as an alternative because, as the record of many clubs attest, they are also fraught with danger. But it's worth questioning whether the current approach will work eventually.

I have broadly accepted this approach until now, unlike some on here, but I'm starting to have my doubts.

While Chris Scott has said we'll be better next year, that sounds like another one of his platitudes.

Jun 5, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong
Brian Cook's comments are the very reason I don't participate in any surveys conducted by the club. They treat us as numbers rather than people.
I will say again I dealt with Cook 20 years ago and he was smart then but focussed on outcomes. He struck me then, and moreso now with lots more business nous under my belt, as an achiever, but of his own KPIs. He will get his results, but are they our results? He has done very well for the Club but in my view has been on cruise control game-wise for a few years now. And I did not think then or now he cares too much about being in touch with the little people, ie the supporters let alone the members.

Jun 5, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong
We are the only club in the league without a board member who has experience in football in an on-field/playing level. Even the Suns have a board member who was part of the Brisbane Lions Match Committee. The closest we have is Hugh Seward who used to be our club doctor for 25 years. During our flag era we had both Doug Wade and Gareth Andrews on the board, experienced football people.
Doug (my hero) was treated as a vote, that's about it.

Back