Opinion Club 2019 Report Card

How would you grade the Collingwood Football Club 2019 Year?

• ‘A’: Perfect 🎶 I love you just the way you are ... 🎶

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ‘B’: Good 🎶 You can’t always get what you want ... 🎶

Votes: 52 75.4%
  • ‘C’: Average 🎶 Clowns to the left, Jokers to the right, here I am, stuck in the middle with you 🎶

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • ‘D’: Poor 🎶 It’s a long way to the top if you wanna Rock ‘n Roll ... 🎶

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • ‘E’: Fail 🎶 The winner takes it all, the loser has to fall ... 🎶

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the feeling last year was that we were building to a premiership, almost snagged it and would give it another huge shake this year.
We almost did but.....
After Saturday, I get more of a sense that we could fall away if we don't recruit, trade and draft really well.
I see, (as can most) that we certainly do have some major areas that we must address.
The feeling is more that -instead of opening or slightly pausing at the apex- our premiership window might be starting to close if we don't get a heck of a lot right in the off season.

I think between the Senior and Rookie lists will will turnover about 8 players and that's just retirements and delistings.

Then we will have 3 or 4 who are considered trade-able for the right deal(s).

The much vaunted midfield has probably peaked and isn't going to win us a flag, we need to make some changes there.
Sier probably isn't the savior or -more to the point- we can't have him as the only plan.
Beams' state of body and mind is troubling, Pendles and Steele still amazing but, past their very best.
JDG needs more midfield minutes, Maynard might be tried as a mid and Tyler Brown will get his chance - all this probably isn't enough.

Same as above with our forward line, Cox almost certainly isn't the savior, Reid is ready for retirement, Mihocek is a decent second or third tall workhorse, but he isn't a match-winner. We have some young, raw and very speculative talent as tall forwards in the VFL but, we really need to see a move during the off season in this area.

Backline looks pretty settled, IQ and Noble will both be better for the experience of their first season and be cherry ripe with a good pre-season under their belts. Langdon will be back as well.

Injury management and in particular, soft tissue and hamstring injuries will have to be addressed in the off season, are we 'best practice' in the competition and in contact sports management? If not, we must be.

A lot has to go right to win a flag and I get the sense that a lot has to go right for us over the next five or six months to get another crack in 2020.

Side by Side.

Last edited:
There aren't a lot of players that elevated their games this year compared to last year.

I think Crisp became more consistent, as did Maynard. Moore became a star, but his injury issues didn't improve. Grundy went to another level, and I think Treloar had a much better year. Stephenson was very good, but had his year obviously ruined.

We obviously did well out of Roughead, and I think Elliott ultimately had a pretty decent season. So they were nice additions.

But I we didn't get the development we thought out of Sier and Mason Cox. Both those guys finished with a bang last year, and we thought they'd go the next level. Langdon also was a star in last years finals series, and I thought he would become an AA player this year. But injury struck him down. WHE had a terrific year last year, but had a shocker this year.

We also didn't have a lot of kids come through. Cal Brown faded but showed some promising signs, as did Quaynor and Noble. Looking forward to those 3 having another pre-season, as well as Tyler Brown who I have high hopes for. Brayden Sier is one who needs to put this year behind him, and re-ignite his career.

We also really need to put some focus onto our VFL side. I'd love to get a few mature heads. I see Richmond have ex clubmen like Morris and Townsend and the likes there. Perhaps we could convince Goldsack to stay on. Otherwise, we need to find another Woodward or someone who can be a quality VFL player. We really needed our VFL team towards the end of the year to get some minutes into Reid, Aish, Sier and Wells. But they weren't playing, so a lot of players either weren't able to push for selection, or had to come into the side without match practice. it's an area I'd like us to really beef up in the off-season.

I think the feeling last year was that we were building to a premiership, almost snagged it and would give it another huge shake this year.
We almost did but.....
After Saturday, I get more of a sense that we could fall away if we don't recruit, trade and draft really well.
I see, (as can most) that we certainly do have some major areas that we must address.
The feeling is more that -instead of opening or slightly pausing at the apex- our premiership window might be starting to close if we don't get a heck of a lot right in the off season.

I think between the Senior and Rookie lists will will turnover about 8 players and that's just retirements and delistings.

Then we will have 3 or 4 who are considered trade-able for the right deal(s).

The much vaunted midfield has probably peaked and isn't going to win us a flag, we need to make some changes there.
Sier probably isn't the savior or -more to the point- we can't have him as the only plan.
Beams' state of body and mind is troubling, Pendles and Steele still amazing but, past their very best.
JDG needs more midfield minutes, Maynard might be tried as a mid and Tyler Brown will get his chance - all this probably isn't enough.

Same as above with our forward line, Cox almost certainly isn't the savior, Reid is ready for retirement, Mihocek is a decent second or third tall workhorse, but he isn't a match-winner. We have some young, raw and very speculative talent as tall forwards in the VFL but, we really need to see a move during the off season in this area.

Backline looks pretty settled, IQ and Noble will both be better for the experience of their first season and be cherry ripe with a good pre-season under their belts. Langdon will be back as well.

Injury management and in particular, soft tissue and hamstring injuries will have to be addressed in the off season, are we 'best practice' in the competition and in contact sports management? If not, we must be.

A lot has to go right to win a flag and I get the sense that a lot has to go right for us over the next five or six months to get another crack in 2020.

Side by Side.

I agree with all this.

In particular, in relation to recruiting, I also see around 7-8 list spots. I'm counting Wells, Goldsack, Reid, Dunn, Crocker and Murray at a minimum, and we might have a call to make on Varcoe, Broomhead and Lynch. I reckon Elliott might end up leaving too unfortunately as we'll need to lose at least 1 to keep the other big 3 in Moore, De Goey and Grundy.

Since we don't at this stage have many high draft picks, I'd say we take 4 in the draft, and 3-4 mature players. Although we don't lose a lot in terms of games played in 2019 from the group listed above, we lose a heck of a lot of experience. So if we have 3 list spots available, bringing in Josh Jenkins seems a logical move to me. Adds KP depth and experience. Very durable as well. Has to be an upgrade on Cox at a minimum. I don't think Jenkins is the saviour, but we made a prelim with no key forward in the 2nd half of the year, so Jenkins surely improves that position until we recruit the gun. Maybe we can be in the market to bring King back from the GC the year after.

It also allows us to perhaps take a punt on someone like Bennell in a rookie spot. Fills a huge need on the list in terms of classy ball use. It's a punt perhaps worth taking if we have a few spare list spots. Otherwise, I'm keen to look at state league players as well for maturity.

If Wells was a "risk" to bring in (due to his history of soft tissue injuries) then Bennell is a bust. Why would we shoot ourselves again?

If Wells was a "risk" to bring in (due to his history of soft tissue injuries) then Bennell is a bust. Why would we shoot ourselves again?

A few reasons:

1. Wells was already over 30
2. Wells cost $500K a year
3. We had to sign him up for 3 years.

Bennell could foreseeably come at base wage, on a rookie contract, is still only mid 20's, and from all reports has been training strongly. Just because we had one failure, doesn't mean we should shy away from all risks.

I'm not saying I disagree with you, but I think we should be seriously looking at it.

My bigger concern relates to his apparent relationship with De Goey. Jordy is known to be easily influenced, so I wouldn't want to put him next to someone with a toxic history. Also, I don't necessarily buy all this talk about Harley's calves now been fixed. Freo can't be that bad that they couldn't identify an issue that another club doctor found in 30 minutes. Just strikes me as a manager trying to change the narrative.

All I'm saying at this stage is we should at least look into it. Richmond took punts this year on Sydney Stack and Marlion Pickett, both guys with questionable history. We took a punt a few years ago on Krakouer straight out of jail, and I reckon that worked out pretty good.

I understand a no d***head policy, but you also want to have a culture that makes people better, and backs itself in to deal with people with troubled history. It is not a sign of strong culture if you are that worried that 1 person would come in and mess it all up. You would back your culture to either improve that person, or spit him out that other end.

FAIL. After a close gf loss you have to win the next year. I am sick and tired of the good feel collingwood videos and media spin, and the clubs own candy take. Win a flag, and shut up and stop spinning until you do. All the while the Punt Road mongrels may end up with 2 out of 3 years while we self congratulate losses.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Any season without a flag is a fail, but teams are not meant to win it every single year, it's just impossible. In the context of what we went through this season it's reasonable to say we did the best with what we had. Need to work on so many things, but what we started developing this year and near the end of 2018 will lead us to ultimate glory, I'm sure of it.

I’m sure it will take a while for most of us to get over Saturday.

I know a lot of you may disagree with me on my next point... I would prefer to lose in the Prelim than the GF. I still haven’t gotten over 2018 GF. Maybe I never will.

Upon reflection, this year was full
of unwanted distractions and injuries. Both nothing new to Collingwood of course.

Stevo: Betting fiasco
Cox: Eye socket
Phil Inn: played a starring role in Wednesday night suburban basketball.
Beams: Firstly gave up a lot to get him home, and unfortunately hasn’t come good. Hope he gets himself up and about again.
Wells: what could have been? He clearly still had it. Just watch the Sydney game again.
DeGoey: clearly carrying injuries all year and missed a lot of footy.

Some of these could have been avoided, some just unlucky.

2019 will be a year where a lot of teams could have won it. A wasted year? maybe.

2020 Football Gods be kind to Collingwood. A bit of luck, A few troops back, a few kids stepping up, a few Key position recruits and I’m looking forward to next year.

Literally the whole year came down to luck, and unfortunately we weren’t on the right side of it.

Go Pies!

Rating C
To improve, we’ll need at least 20 games played next season from DeGoey, Moore, Elliott, Stephenson, Adams, Beames, Cox & Sier.
None of them got close to that in 2019.
Add a clean run to see what we can get from Noble, Quaynor, Murphy, Kelly & T Brown and we should be OK.
Injuries matter. Look at Richmond & what they’ve achieved this year.

Hard season to judge. There was very little during the season to suggest we were a genuine flag threat so in that respect we probably overachieved at the end of the day. Given what we are capable of we probably underachieved.

Rating C
To improve, we’ll need at least 20 games played next season from DeGoey, Moore, Elliott, Stephenson, Adams, Beames, Cox & Sier.
None of them got close to that in 2019.
Add a clean run to see what we can get from Noble, Quaynor, Murphy, Kelly & T Brown and we should be OK.
Injuries matter. Look at Richmond & what they’ve achieved this year.
C!

Ha ha

C for me - given never ending injuries and gambling suspensions, the club did well to suit up and finish fourth and win through to a preliminary final. However in comparison to last year, the footy was boring and frustrating and there were only a handful of times where I was genuinely excited and happy to be watching or have watched Collingwood. For most of the season it felt like we were playing to 60-70% of our true potential. We underachieved for having such a talented and deep list, and we're going to need to make a few big changes over the next few months in order to have a point of difference in 2020.

One thing I will say that makes me happy about watching Collingwood is that I feel like every week we are watching some of the best players to grace our club in the last 50 years. Think about it - Grundy, Moore, De Goey, Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Treloar, even players like Stephenson and Howe will be recognised as true club champions come retirement. I said a couple of weeks ago that a premiership is coming - I wasn't sure it was this year and evidently it wasn't, but it's on the horizon.

Considering our injuries, Stevo's brain fade etc etc the boys did well to get as far as they did.

2018 was a better year though, not just because we made the GF but our brand of footy was more enjoyable to watch.

Oh schitt, I am starting to use terms like "brand of footy".
Self inflicted upper cut.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any season without a flag is a fail, but teams are not meant to win it every single year, it's just impossible. In the context of what we went through this season it's reasonable to say we did the best with what we had. Need to work on so many things, but what we started developing this year and near the end of 2018 will lead us to ultimate glory, I'm sure of it.

+ the purpose of footy clubs is to bring pride to their members and supporters. Winning Premierships is merely a means to that end. There are other things our footy club can do to bring pride to its members:

- beating WCE in Perth
- beating Carlton
- taking spectacular marks and kicking spectacular goals

To test that hypothesis - do people cheer when any of those things above happens? Or do they keep their arms folded holding off their cheer until Collingwood delivers that Premiership?

Plus winning the VFLW Premiership is a good thing. Sure, some people don’t care about it and that’s fine. But they can’t be one of the many folks who were keen to trash talk our VFLW program last year for going out in straight sets, without dishing out kudos this year in equal measure for their accomplishment.

Name: Collingwood Football Club.
Year: 2019
Subject:The AFL Season
Grade: C
Teacher: Mr P Beddoe

On the surface, a top four finish and a narrow preliminary finals loss suggests a very good season however upon careful reflection, I believe it was a year of missed opportunity due to a number of factors.

Failing to capitalise on ruck dominance suggests a lack of preparation in preseason, homework and revision prior to a match. Collingwood must endeavour to work harder in this area if it is to challenge next season.

Although a number of injuries were beyond the club's control, the soft tissue problems that afflict players every year must be addressed. I expect that this will be thoroughly reviewed again however Collingwood promises much yet delivers little in this area.

Collingwood has some questionable preseason habits in terms of recruiting, trade etc that not only have a tendency to bite during the season but also affect its planning in subsequent seasons. I'm afraid that there is no quick fix. The club must learn from its errors and change its ways. A slow and steady approach is required however I'm not sure if Collingwood has the aptitude and patience to adopt such an approach.

I believe that the club will benefit from making changes to the positions of a number of players but will need to recruit players to fill positions vacated by such changes. At present, this would the responsibility of other teachers as I am only Collingwood's homeroom teacher and don't have the expertise required to assist the club.

Overall, a good effort from the club but as we often say, there is always room for improvement. Please do not hesitate to make an appointment to discuss this report further. Good luck next year, Collingwood.

Last edited:
How would you grade the club’s 2019 season?

Summary of results below. Let me know if I’ve missed out anything.

Poll above

AFL Season:

* Finished the regular season 4th of 18; 15 wins 7 losses, 117.7%
* Played in a Preliminary Final.
* All Australian Jackets: Grundy and Pendlebury
* 85,226 members (third highest behind Richmond and WCE)
* Total H&A attendance: 1,207,662 (Highest)
* Total Home attendance: 648,728 (2nd Highest behind Richmond)
* Total attendance (Home + Finals): 1,378,926 (Will end up being highest)

VFL Season

* Finished the regular season 11th of 15 with 7 wins, 11 losses, 83.98%

AFLW Season:

* Finished last of 5 in Conference B, 1 win 6 losses, 66.7%, effectively woodenspooners across the competition of 10.

VFLW Season:

* Premiers 2019
* Minor Premiers, finished the regular season on top of the ladder of 13 teams; with 12 wins, 2 losses, 167.24%
* Stacy Livingstone, best player of Grand Final

SNL Netball:

* Finished 4th on the 8 team ladder, 7 wins, 5 losses, 2 draws
* Played in Elimination Final

Wheelchair football

* H&A season Finished runners up in a five team competition; 5 wins, 3 losses, 123.77%
* Played off in Grand Final (Loss to Richmond)

Club Financial Results:

TBD

Eagles have more members? Anyway I have a question. Considering the growth in membership and attendance at Richmond games, shouldnt the people who talk about Collingwood being the biggest club give that up?

Eagles have more members? Anyway I have a question. Considering the growth in membership and attendance at Richmond games, shouldnt the people who talk about Collingwood being the biggest club give that up?
Does anyone other than Richmond care about that?

Back