Game Day 2019 Brownlow- Us & the rest

Remove this Banner Ad

That article is broadly right Ferbs but you can be assured Jacobs didn't tag Fyfe after qtr time - at least not in the manner that he was doing in the first qtr. Jacob's played his own game after 1/4 time and won the ball well as an offensive weapon.

Probably - I remember we used to talk about Jacobs more as a run with player than a tagger. As someone who would do what you just described - take his opponent on and try to beta^ them as much as nullify them ala someone like De Boer.

But I can't remember the details - just my impression from the day, that Fyfe dominated early and Freo were on top, Jacobs was on top later and we won.

^That was a typo but its kind of appropriate.

1. Drop the 'fairest'. A suspended player isn't necessarily more unfair than one who's picked up a bunch of fines or even went through unreported.

2. Give the umpires a break. They have enough to do. AFL appoints a panel of 18 respected ex-players (Maybe nominated by the clubs?) whose sole job is to go to games and pick the best players. No media flogs or other commitments just pick the best players.

3. Get with the 21st century. Use replays to analyse and scrutinise play and have access to stats. See what each player's role was and how well they did it.

4. Have time to get the best decision. No reason the votes have to be in within a hour of the game.

5. Consider scrapping the 3-2-1. No system is perfect but it's worth having a think about the merits and flaws of this one.

I have nothing against Fyfe or any recent winners, but the Brownlow is another AFL example of claiming best practice and elite procedures, when the reality is an antiquated, shoddy system that produces the best result as often as a blind man at a dartboard.

Nothing going to change because it’s all tied up with the idiosyncrasies of the game

Here’s some others...

Teams run through banners, every game

Cheer squads behind scoring area, every game

Two blokes wave Flags at each other despite modern technology and then still have to meet to confer after the game to make sure that their scores added up correctly

The same theme song is sung after every Win

Teams run through banners, every game
We did introduce that floating turd sausage thing.
The Lions have some cage dohickey
Cheer squads behind scoring area, every game
This has also been moved on occasion.
Two blokes wave Flags at each despite modern technology and then still have to meet to confer after the game to make sure

This should probably be changed. In fact I doubt anyone would actually care.
The same theme song is sung after every Win
We have previously changed our song. We shouldn't have but it did happen.

We did introduce that floating turd sausage thing.
The Lions have some cage dohickey

This has also been moved on occasion.

This should probably be changed. In fact I doubt anyone would actually care.

We have previously changed our song. We shouldn't have but it did happen.

Point is the AFL doesn’t like change

But is happy to introduce AFLX or anything that goes ka ching

Point is the AFL doesn’t like change

But is happy to introduce AFLX or anything that goes ka ching
I don't think it is that they don't like change.

I think they are just very poor at executing it.

Look at the idiotic rule changes as a case I point.

I don't think it is that they don't like change.

I think they are just very poor at executing it.

Look at the idiotic rule changes as a case I point.

True they changed those rules to assist to alleviate congestion (flawed) to have more goals for more TV ads...$$$$$$$$$$

The problem with the Brownlow is that it doesn’t matter how good the player played or how the game went.

You can have a good game in a terrible match and get 3 votes and then you can play a game like Goldy did against Port and only get 2 because a player kicked 10 goals.

T
Idiosyncrasies are one thing. Does it matter that goalies wave flags or teams run through banners? This is the League’s most prestigious system of acknowledging excellence for current players. Players’ careers are marked off on their performance in this. Players who haven’t won one probably aren’t marked backwards, but those who have are certainly marked up. And it’s all done using a method and system that mostly has been unchanged for 80 years and doesn’t reflect the current game. The parameters of the award eliminate 90% of players before you even consider their ability. It’s actually quite bizarre.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back