Which club is Western Bulldogs biggest rival?

Western Bulldogs biggest rival?

• Essendon

Votes: 40 13.0%
  • Geelong

Votes: 8 2.6%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 77 25.1%
  • Carlton

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • Richmond

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • North Melbourne

Votes: 39 12.7%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Adelaide

Votes: 11 3.6%
  • West Coast

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • GWS

Votes: 118 38.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We did have a rivalry with them thanks to a Steve Wallis shirtfront and a Daniel Southern headlock. Freo is definitely their main rival.

GWS is the current rivalry given the player exchanges and the 2016 prelim (not to mention their 'lost dogs home' poster, fortunately we have a premiership graphic to stick over it).
2uwr7a.jpg

GWS are a team of over-indulged brats and mercenary players, they haven’t won a flag, in fact they haven’t even made a GF, they haven’t earned a rivalry.

My votes are either Saints, see the sudden urgency to get their team up and contesting for a flag since we won our premiership.

Norf, I haven’t been over to their board for a long time, but any good fortune to the Dogs, had the Norf boys moaning and bitter. The boys up and about since their AFLW team came in, noticeably on our board a lot. They are our true rivals.

GWS are a team of over-indulged brats and mercenary players, they haven’t won a flag, in fact they haven’t even made a GF, they haven’t earned a rivalry.

My votes are either Saints, see the sudden urgency to get their team up and contesting for a flag since we won our premiership.

Norf, I haven’t been over to their board for a long time, but any good fortune to the Dogs, had the Norf boys moaning and bitter. The boys up and about since their AFLW team came in, noticeably on our board a lot. They are our true rivals.
So are we talking BF rivals (a concocted bubble IMO) or genuine club vs club rivals?

So are we talking BF rivals (a concocted bubble IMO) or genuine club vs club rivals?

It’s a good point you raise, the bubble does emphasise rivalry’s, but I still think any meaningful game against the Saints or Norf, gets the teams going.

It’s a good point you raise, the bubble does emphasise rivalry’s, but I still think any meaningful game against the Saints or Norf, gets the teams going.
IMO the Norf rivalry is bigger on BF than in real life. I'd never had any quibble with them until I started reading Leon's posts!

IMO the Norf rivalry is bigger on BF than in real life. I'd never had any quibble with them until I started reading Leon's posts!

My experience is the opposite, really patronising attitude towards us, poor sportsmanship at games. 2016, that first game comes to mind, really terrible supporters to sit with.

I should add, I really want to like Norf, small club, gets crapped on by the AFL, Essendon treated them badly earlier days, but their supporters are just so bad.

When you use the term rival is it in a mutual sense or just from our perspective.

In a mutual sense I cannot think of a single team where we would be their main rival, the only possible though unlikely exception to this could be GWS.

From our perspective there would be individual rivals certain supporters would have, but in reality we have situational rivals such as Geelong in finals since we started making finals, St Kilda 2009 and 2010 etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No doubt in my mind that our biggest rival is now GWS.

And on the back of things that develop real and long lasting hatred between clubs and supporters - arrogance and cheap shots from one club to another (Lost Dogs Home etc.); a fierce on-field rivalry between players that guarantees a physical contest every game; disloyalty, poaching and player defections that anger fans; and hard fought, cut throat, winner takes all finals.

And it's happened in only a few years too. It's probably something our club needs to be honest - a blockbuster game twice a year (without the blockbuster crowd unfortunately....but that might grow over time.) The long term success of GWS in a sad way will help make our club more relevant as I can see Bulldogs/GWS games becoming much anticipated clashes of genuine rivals. We've got nothing like that with any other team...and neither have GWS - not even with Sydney.

Jan 1, 2015
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

And on the back of things that develop real and long lasting hatred between clubs and supporters - arrogance and cheap shots from one club to another (Lost Dogs Home etc.); a fierce on-field rivalry between players that guarantees a physical contest every game; disloyalty, poaching and player defections that anger fans; and hard fought, cut throat, winner takes all finals.

And it's happened in only a few years too. It's probably something our club needs to be honest - a blockbuster game twice a year (without the blockbuster crowd unfortunately....but that might grow over time.) The long term success of GWS in a sad way will help make our club more relevant as I can see Bulldogs/GWS games becoming much anticipated clashes of genuine rivals. We've got nothing like that with any other team...and neither have GWS - not even with Sydney.

100% agree

BUT........
AFL rival round is all about interstate fake rivalries so Sydney/GWS will trump a REAL rivalry that contains as much mutual hatred in its infancy as Collingwood v Carlton. AFL should give us two games a year though for the next 2 years if they are serious about building interest in GWS. Our rivalry is real.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 12, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Agree and as a bonus almost everyone hates GWS so we get the neutrals barracking for us too!

ringa5

CRAZY HORSE
Jun 1, 2009
goldcoast
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I hate St Kilda
Ever since my reconciling memories of Moorabin ,and Jeff Saru kicking his former teemate Bruce Douparouzal in the face as he lay on the ground.
Always were and alway's will be a bunch of Pricks.

Last edited:

Rasha

2017🏆 2019🏆 2020🏆
Aug 25, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Most hated rivals. Win & break some faces in the process please.

Their faux tough guy s**t won't work with us.
Mumford dares to snipe any of our small blokes (as he only targets small blokes), expect Nank to smash him into next Sunday.

Agree and as a bonus almost everyone hates GWS so we get the neutrals barracking for us too!

Except this week, oppos all over the forum wearing GWS avatars because they hate us and want us to lose.
Bulldogs the only oppo club on our train as well as Power supporters who are still grateful for 2017 and the carnage that has happened at the Crows since.

TiAn_

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 19, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think it's the Saints or Roos. With the Saints, it's just not as prominent atm because they’ve been down for so long. People forget a little bit. Even Collingwood v Carlton has lost a fair bit of lustre while Carlton have stunk up the last decade.

The recent close games against the Roos have had more feeling than any GWS game since the PF. It was an absolute travesty that they didn't let us keep Good Friday.

The GWS thing is more a construct of the keyboard warrior culture on here and most clubs' supporters' general feelings about GWS and some flog players like Toby Greene. I don’t think you can have a genuine rivalry across states, particularly when one group of supporters is harder to find than a leprechaun’s pot of gold, even in GF week when their team's playing. Isn't part of a rivalry knowing a few supporters from the club and having a bit of banter, etc? Is it really a rivalry when you never have to even contend with the prospect of a friend or coworker giving you stick about a game? Or even a group of their supporters yelling out annoying stuff at a game? Perhaps I'm living in the past.

Putting that aside, if GWS were to drop off, I reckon any perceived rivalry, even on here amongst the warriors, would dissipate entirely. Out of site and out of mind.

Just wait and see what it's like if we meet the Saints or Roos in a final soon.

Oct 12, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Except this week, oppos all over the forum wearing GWS avatars because they hate us and want us to lose.
Bulldogs the only oppo club on our train as well as Power supporters who are still grateful for 2017 and the carnage that has happened at the Crows since.

Yeah but that's mostly related to how painful you'll be after winning 2 premierships in 3 years. Which I actually agree with too :D

Back