FTA-TV Game of Thrones - season 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Their star wars films don't start for three years.
Yes, but writing and pre-production takes a lot of time.

It was very much the DB's choice to rush to the finish line, not HBO forcing them to do so. GoT was HBO's biggest ever money spinner, there's no way they wanted it to end any earlier than it had to.

HBO were desperate to get a proper GoT ending, they offered D+D all the money and time in the world but they knocked it back.

I have heard rumours the D+D Star Wars won't go ahead, the franchise is struggling big time right now.

HBO were desperate to get a proper GoT ending, they offered D+D all the money and time in the world but they knocked it back.

I have heard rumours the D+D Star Wars won't go ahead, the franchise is struggling big time right now.

Never seen that rumour, fairly sure you're thinking of RJ.

Never seen that rumour, fairly sure you're thinking of RJ.
I believe it applies to both. D+D wanted to do a Star Wars trilogy but I think it has been shot down. RJ wanted to do a trilogy as well, but considering how bad The Last Jedi was it would be insane to even contemplate.

I believe it applies to both. D+D wanted to do a Star Wars trilogy but I think it has been shot down. RJ wanted to do a trilogy as well, but considering how bad The Last Jedi was it would be insane to even contemplate.

It hasn't been shot down, it's literally what they were hired for.

Sounds like you're just making s**t up.

It hasn't been shot down, it's literally what they were hired for.

Sounds like you're just making s**t up.
Actually it's my mistake, I just Googled it. I thought it wasn't happening but apparently it is in 2022.

My bad:drunk:

HBO should have just fired Dumb and Dumber is they were just going to bail early.

Oh well.

Kinda agree, but it would take incredible balls seeing as they had delivered such an excellent product up till that point. If they tell you all they need is X more episodes to finish, some HBO exec needs to be the one to go nah, the blokes who have run the show for 6 years don't know what they're talking about, get rid of them. Imagine the blowback if the new showrunner couldn't deliver.

Probably just too big a risk for anyone to take responsibility for.

Kinda agree, but it would take incredible balls seeing as they had delivered such an excellent product up till that point. If they tell you all they need is X more episodes to finish, some HBO exec needs to be the one to go nah, the blokes who have run the show for 6 years don't know what they're talking about, get rid of them. Imagine the blowback if the new showrunner couldn't deliver.

Probably just too big a risk for anyone to take responsibility for.
It definitely would have been a difficult call to make, and an even harder one to sell. It's only with the benefit of hindsight that we know the existing showrunners were going to butcher the last 2 seasons horribly. HBO couldn't have known how bad they would turn out to be beforehand. They shouldn't have been this bad, even with the mad rush to wrap things up.

It definitely would have been a difficult call to make, and an even harder one to sell. It's only with the benefit of hindsight that we know the existing showrunners were going to butcher the last 2 seasons horribly. HBO couldn't have known how bad they would turn out to be beforehand. They shouldn't have been this bad, even with the mad rush to wrap things up.

Hmm, don't really agree - I think the poorer final season was purely because everything was so compressed. They got the spectacle and scale stuff largely right, its was just the connective tissue, cohesion, motivations and setup that was missing or truncated - all the stuff you need time for, and to build over multiple eps.

Pitching that they only needed 15 eps to wrap everything up at the end of season 6 is definitely on them though, staggering miscalculation.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmm, don't really agree - I think the poorer final season was purely because everything was so compressed. They got the spectacle and scale stuff largely right, its was just the connective tissue, cohesion, motivations and setup that was missing or truncated - all the stuff you need time for, and to build over multiple eps.

Pitching that they only needed 15 eps to wrap everything up at the end of season 6 is definitely on them though, staggering miscalculation.
Yeah but those stuff that they missed were the most important. The show was at its best when there was hardly any spectacle.

Yeah but those stuff that they missed were the most important. The show was at its best when there was hardly any spectacle.

It's had spectacle since S02.

HBO were happy to limit the episode count toward the end. Bill for the actors per episode was in the millions as they'd all become famous. I'd say that's why we got episodes running 70-90 minutes around the same point.

Personal preference I guess. Yeah I loved the political machinations and character stuff as much as anyone, but my absolute favourite moments are all pretty much big action set pieces though - Hardhome, Battle of the Bastards, dragon attack on the Lannister caravan etc. Just don't see stuff like that on TV usually.

Season 1 was so good it didn't need the big battle stuff even if it was probably a financial decision. Intentionally or not, the big action stuff later probably worked better for the audience having been grounded to buy in emotionally first.

I think their budget not only got bigger as it went on but what CGI could do simply improved too. Pre-production for season 1 was a decade ago now.

I still like the older seasons but later on when the NK becomes the 'big bad' and the the ultimate threat to humanity I can't help but cringe.

At least it's good to see Joffrey again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back