AFL Club
Adelaide
BA695007-E18A-45DA-8143-59DAB3F0924B.gif

dylan123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Probably first choice for mine given the experience and where he's gotten two separate clubs to. Hard to really rate any of the untried coaches yet and mainly for that reason but most the names popping up haven't been in the ranks for as long as someone like Ross which I think pays off. Not always the case though obviously and am pretty open to whoever we go for but I think we'd get a pretty strong coach in Lyon if that's what we did.

AFC3000

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
maybe just for neautrual games but I actually don't mind the low scoring defensive games...

The tension of being only a couple of goals up but the other team also needing to double their score to catch up is stressful but I don't mind it.

Nothing worse for me than a highish scoring game where one team gets to about 30 points up and that's it for the game.

That said obviously an exciting close high scoring game is the most enjoyable.

I'd probably also enjoy us having a coach with some personality and an opinion.

But yeah probably not. Can he and would he be willing to build a side from where we realistically are?

My biggest fear with Lyon is that the club would go that way because they think he's going to come in and turn things around with what we've got, top up and as long as we finish in the 8 and beat Port at least once is a pass.

ManInTheArena

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2008
Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Probably first choice for mine given the experience and where he's gotten two separate clubs to. Hard to really rate any of the untried coaches yet and mainly for that reason but most the names popping up haven't been in the ranks for as long as someone like Ross which I think pays off. Not always the case though obviously and am pretty open to whoever we go for but I think we'd get a pretty strong coach in Lyon if that's what we did.

Where has he gotten Fremantle?

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't like his defensive mindset as a coach, but then he has got 2 different teams to the Grand Final, which isn't a bad coaching record.
Don't know much about the potential coaches, but the real question to me is, who is a better coaching candidate than Ross Lyon?

ManInTheArena

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2008
Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't like his defensive mindset as a coach, but then he has got 2 different teams to the Grand Final, which isn't a bad coaching record.
Don't know much about the potential coaches, but the real question to me is, who is a better coaching candidate than Ross Lyon?

Someone who's not Ross Lyon.

Seriously, how is this even a consideration? Does the team seem like it needs a Ross Lyon right now, or a bring the fun back to football coach, like someone completely not Ross Lyon, unless playing defensively is actually fun.

dylan123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Where has he gotten Fremantle?
He got them to a grand final, fell short the following year but thought that was a decent effort.

There list really isn't anything special now. Just don't feel like you could say he's underachieved with what he's had. Well I guess you could say that St.Kilda team should have won one, they got damn close too.

ManInTheArena

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2008
Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
He got them to a grand final, fell short the following year but thought that was a decent effort.

There list really isn't anything special now. Just don't feel like you could say he's underachieved with what he's had. Well I guess you could say that St.Kilda team should have won one, they got damn close too.

It sucks for coaches that go one game short of the ultimate, but that's what history remembers. I feel like we need some freshness, but will that challenge the institution, probably not. I honestly would hate to see us play defensively every week. It's not what football is about in my view.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide

Seriously, how is this even a consideration? Does the team seem like it needs a Ross Lyon right now, or a bring the fun back to football coach, like someone completely not Ross Lyon, unless playing defensively is actually fun.
The main question we really need to ask as fans and as a club:
Do we want a coach who is attacking and fun? Or do we want one that can win a premiership (even if it's completely defensive)?

ManInTheArena

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2008
Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
The main question we really need to ask as fans and as a club:
Do we want a coach who is attacking and fun? Or do we want one that can win a premiership (even if it's completely defensive)?

We don't know he can do either so if we're going to roll the dice I'll take attacking and fun.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
We don't know he can do either so if we're going to roll the dice I'll take attacking and fun.
Same, but I'm unsure we have the current cattle to make it attack and fun - you need plenty of speed and skill to do that, and we simply don't have that currently as a team, compared with the top current teams.
Losing Cameron and McGov has robbed us of our team balance to do the effective "attack and fun" gameplan.

Jun 21, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
49ers, AFC Wimbledon, Utah Jazz
I actually rate Lyon, but my issue with him coaching us in 2020 is that he's a finisher and not a builder.

He's an elite tactician and knows how to get every drop out of a pre-built squad, but there's massive question marks over his ability to be able to build and develop a list.

Freo gave him four seasons to rebuild their list and in my opinion he failed.

Great coach, but not the right fit for a list that is going to need a substantial rebuild.

Dec 18, 2007
Arcadia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks

Ross is known for developing relationships with his players, they love him. Maybe that's what we do need.

I'd be happy to have him at the club. He'd have the respect of the players from day one.

dylan123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
It sucks for coaches that go one game short of the ultimate, but that's what history remembers. I feel like we need some freshness, but will that challenge the institution, probably not. I honestly would hate to see us play defensively every week. It's not what football is about in my view.
It does, I guess I mark getting two separate teams to the final day pretty highly - for mine it means it's not the system he comes into but more the system he implements as the reason they've got that far.

I agree with freshness but I feel like we'll get that regardless of who we get as long as it's not one of our assistants. Whoever we get will come in with new ideas, I guess I could see someone like Lyon bringing in more 'fresh' ideas as he'll have more pull to get what he wants across. We've kind of seen how Pyke was tied up with what he was given or chose to keep.

I'm not huge on the defensive game either but I certainly enjoy winning footy more than I do losing it. Go back a decade and the St.Kilda team under Lyon was the 4th highest scoring team so it doesn't necessarily have to be the worst with the right personnel (and they were by far the best defensive team, 400 points better than the next. That's pretty easy to respect/get behind). The most fun I've had watching us play was that 2017 season where we were a scoring juggernaut and it's a shame we never really tried to get back to that style and it's probably too late now with the change/aging list.

Okay I will play. Ross Lyon has an uncanny knack of inheriting a good list, getting them to a losing GF, and then not develop kids so the club goes backwards . I mean seriously isn’t that what Pyke did?
Pyke brought in a great game plan into 2017 which we all got behind. Outside of the team selection, I don't think there was a huge deal wrong with him. Seems like he lost the list though and wasn't able to come back from that but some of the systems he implemented for us/WCE were very impressive which is why I think plenty still feel he still has more to give the AFL industry as a head coach again at some point.

Back