Status
Not open for further replies.

Billyc

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I haven’t seen much of the NAB comp
But from what I saw today if Downie is a top 5 prospect for next years draft it’s a weak draft.
Don’t read much into online predictions this far out. Every father son / academy kid is a top 5 pick until actual draft year it seems.

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Gipps Academy -
Harrison Pepper - medium height, strongly built player, has a good game style, but is an ordinary kick, misses too many targets, but if he can fix his kicking issues could be a solid prospect, likely to go late/rookie imo

Eastern Academy -
Todd Garner - medium height, hbf/tagger, has been ok this year, decent defensively, decent disposal, you want players to stand out to get drafted as theres so many youngsters, likely to go undrafted imo
Connor Downie - medium height winger/hbf, has had a good year without being a star, in an under-age year thats a great sign for next year, goal kicking wing with a long kick on him, likely to be drafted 2nd round in 2020 imo
Salele Feagaimalii - medium height, heavy inside mid, good handball, strong, lacks endurance and has a long kick but not the most accurate of kicks, has a lot of potential if he slims down a bit and gets fit, depending on improvement could get drafted or not in 2020?

F/S -
Finn Maginness - tall mid, inside mid similar to Josh Kennedy in potential, good kick when he has time, being inside mids a lot of the time you dont have that luxury, can also play as a HFF and a decent kick at goals, good tackler, his weaknesses are pace and not big poss numbers in his draft year on average.
Tom Graham - played ruck and forw for most of the season without ever really dominating or showing he had the flexibility to play AFL, imo he is unlikely to get drafted

other F/S that are not aligned with us Noah Anderson likely to go top 2, Hugo Ralphsmith likely to get drafted late, Harrison Minton-Connell possibly drafted as a rookie, i think theres a couple of others i may have forgotten?

*could someone change the title to Gippsland and Eastern NGA Players?

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Thanks what about Downie also what AFL does he play like.

Downie is mostly an outside player. He shines when the ball is in transition, often with him starting a chain of possession with his run or decision making. An athletic winger who has a really neat left foot like Birchall but can also roost it 50 meters on occassion. He isn't a pure speedster, but moves well like Birchall. He has a few attributes of Burton. But next year in his top age year we will learn a lot more. He might be more inside, for example.

Slick

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
Berwick
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Pursuing a career in boxing I believe. Not keen on the AFL dream.
Was wondering what had happened to him. Tried to ask Eastern Ranges and a few different draft 'expert' journos but got nothing from them. That's a bummer, kid was a beast for Eastern as an under ager in the first half of the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Connor Downie is playing in the Under 17 NAB All Stars Future clash on the MCG on Grand Final morning. Last year Matthew Rowell stood out like a beacon and the previous year James Worpell was by far the best player for the losing side.

Connor Downie is playing in the Under 17 NAB All Stars Future clash on the MCG on Grand Final morning. Last year Matthew Rowell stood out like a beacon and the previous year James Worpell was by far the best player for the losing side.

Good to get practice for the big day in early. He'll need it at Hawthorn.

Rabbitpig

Team Captain
Aug 17, 2009
launceston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Meanwhile, Channel 7 will go with the hilarious antics* of gameday instead of showing any of the Under 17s game.

*By hilarious antics I actually mean... well, you already know, dontcha.
Everyone loves an ultra awkward interview by Hame, to be honest, I've always found the under 6 interviewee more media savvy than Gil's deadshit brother!

RIOLINWITPUNCHS

Big Footy Member
Sep 30, 2009
Back Of My Kombi
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This is an updated list of our NGA eligible players for this year.

Half of these names I have never not even seen mentioned on here.

20190926_223849.jpg

Not meaning to impose, just wanted to throw 2 bobs worth in. My young bloke was a part of the NGA this year as a 12 year old, as a card carrying Hawthorn hater I couldn’t have been more impressed with everything. No idea on how other clubs run theirs, but as a young guy with a loooong way to go I can’t speak highly enough.
Also on Harold Hood, he’s from my local club and is a potential gun. Younger brother of Darren Allen (was on the recruit a couple of years ago), I think he still has 2020 in the u-18s. Made his senior debut at 14, missed most of this season with a knee injury, didn’t play any power games. Had a couple of games there in 2018 late in the season and was in the best each outing. Plays on ball locally, smooth mover with great evasion, highly skilled and good goal kicker. Fantastic kid to boot, hasn’t got enough runs on the board yet but has all the tools.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not meaning to impose, just wanted to throw 2 bobs worth in. My young bloke was a part of the NGA this year as a 12 year old, as a card carrying Hawthorn hater I couldn’t have been more impressed with everything. No idea on how other clubs run theirs, but as a young guy with a loooong way to go I can’t speak highly enough.
Also on Harold Hood, he’s from my local club and is a potential gun. Younger brother of Darren Allen (was on the recruit a couple of years ago), I think he still has 2020 in the u-18s. Made his senior debut at 14, missed most of this season with a knee injury, didn’t play any power games. Had a couple of games there in 2018 late in the season and was in the best each outing. Plays on ball locally, smooth mover with great evasion, highly skilled and good goal kicker. Fantastic kid to boot, hasn’t got enough runs on the board yet but has all the tools.

Thanks for sharing 😃

It’s one of those things that we as fans/members don’t get too much info on....

Do they run academy camps or sessions at the club? What’s involved, as a 12yr old?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back