Game Day Richmond v GWS grand final thread 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a bit reactionary, GWS played their grand final last week, they were pathetic today. Sides look quick when you don't put them under immense pressure. Port is a much quicker side than us all over the park, did you get that impression from when we played them Round 22? They looked a lot quicker than us in round 6.

Richmond won 6 of their first 7 games before losing to us and triggered a bit of a losing streak following a bad run with injuries but we put the heat on Richmond. We had 72 tackles vs 55, only allowed them to take 76 marks so didn't allow them to switch and run, they looked slow against us and it was pretty much only a Herculean effort from Martin that kept them in the game before he faded out of the game.

GWS got smashed in the hitouts, laid 56 tackles vs 53 and both teams were allowed to accumulate 100+ marks with Richmond 113 vs 107, this is in the realms of pretty s**t defensive effort by both sides after quarter time. Richmond had no incentive to change it up, everything was going their way after quarter time, GWS just bent over and grabbed their ankles.

Richmond is a much better balanced side in terms of inside vs outside than us, but they had a number of issues when they faced us, Riewoldt and Rance were out injured and Cotchin was coming in after a 8 week layoff due to injuries. They had 9 players with less than 50 games, 2 50-99, 6 100-149 and 5 150+, they fielded a side with 98.5 games of experienced compared to our 111.4 games and Cotchin wasn't 100%.

The difference between the sides were -Stack, McIntosh, Higgins, Balta, Butler and Garthwaite and +Riewoldt, Pickett, Lambert, Short, Nankervis and Rioli which turned the side into 4 players less than 50 games, 6x 50-99, 2x 100-149 and 10x 150+ with an average of 125.6 games. They fielded a better, more experienced side and it had better balance but players that are unavailable are because of injuries or form and you need some depth in your squad to have a shot or pray for an injury free run.

I don't think it is speed, it is consistent work-rate running both ways. We have shown we can play to the required standard, we haven't shown that we can do it consistently.

Speed is not the only reason but with us it is a big issue. We have marking players, contested players but we don’t really have players who can spread at pace. And yes that means getting up and down the ground consistently as you say but Dumont is not really considered a strong player because he does do that. He lacks the speed to make the defensive and offensive running hurt and that is what speed brings.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

All this crap around GF entertainment - how about next year we have five songs celebrating 50 years of aussie hits. One great song from the 60s, 70s, 80. 90s, 00s.

60's - Russell Morris - The Real Thing
70's - Eagle Rock - Ross Wilson
80's - Live It Up - Mental as Anything
90's - help please - was there one?
00's - help please - Kylie?

Have five stars, five huge sing along songs - would have the place rocking. Maybe they could get Kylie (can't believe I'm suggesting that) to be the big one. I like Paul Kelly but he added nothing this year - need big songs to get an arena going. Never heard of the others.

Richmond were fantastic - loved that they didn't even allow them some junk time goals. They are great to watch when they play like that.

Having said that, that performance from GWS was disgraceful. Completely shat the bed. Has one shot, fired it early, had no impact and produced nothing from there on. Embarrassingly bad. Rightly the attention goes on the winners, but when the dust settles hopefully the Giants get called out for how pathetic that was. A complete fizzer of a day.
Hard to disagree with any of that and they lost their last 5 quarters by 113 points. Did play their last 5 out of 6 games interstate, played injured players, had guys out and ran into a side in peak condition.

Really poor performance but losing grand finalists often cop way more criticism than all the other sides - like ours - who weren't good enough to get anywhere near the final day.

How bout we all show up and watch the footy at 2.30? I get it's a big occasion but the whole focus on the entertainment isn't needed. At the ground you can't see much and all you hear is reverb.

I would not know

Haven’t been in there on GF Day for like 20 years

What makes you think I was speaking for us?

He's home now isn't he...
The way he is tracking, home will be in Germany soon with the hamstring guru/aka Nakatomi Plaza terrorist, conductor, footballer and pet pig - Dr Hans Gruber.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why you telling us this?

My point was the reverb not where your arse sat

Stern look

To impress you? Because I can? Because I'm deluded in thinking that people are interested in my banal existence? Because I'm bored and am contributing all sorts of inane comments on the internet? To get my post tally up? All of the above?

Shows how having a tactically astute match day is such a large element of the modern game.

Tigers structured up so much better.
Dusty moves forward gets better matchup immediately pushes up to the ball to exploit that, defender rolls back off the contest and all of a sudden you’ve got dusty free at a stoppage and richmond with a loose man.

Leon Cameron tried to implement the control of the footy that Geelong did the week prior but it’s not their style. That short kick turning the footy over between their own half back and the middle killed them all day and they never adjusted to Richmond’s setup.

Don’t underestimate the effect that someone like Pickett had around the stoppage. Number 1 ranked clearance side vs 18th and the tigers came out on top.

Wingman were ineffective all day. Kelly, Whitfield, Ellis and caddy all lower numbers than usual.

We need to get some pure mid forwards that can rack it up in the side. A dom sheed esque midfielder and someone with the agility and speed at the contest of a Shane Edwards on top of what we already have and we will start to make inroads.

I trust that rhyce is tactically astute

Hard to disagree with any of that and they lost their last 5 quarters by 113 points. Did play their last 5 out of 6 games interstate, played injured players, had guys out and ran into a side in peak condition.

Really poor performance but losing grand finalists often cop way more criticism than all the other sides - like ours - who weren't good enough to get anywhere near the final day.

In their last 8 quarters they kicked 1, 1, 5, 1, 1, 0, 1 and 1. Did well to be there but completely out of their depth.

While the commentators blew their load a bit, seeing Marlon Pickett lining up in the centre square in his first game in the Grand Final had me shaking my head.

North of the last ten years (at least) would never even consider something as radical as mixing it up in the middle.

Time for us to take some risks.

Tigers will sell Brandon Ellis for a first round pick this off-season. Meanwhile, this board treats any of our established players as untouchable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While the commentators blew their load a bit, seeing Marlon Pickett lining up in the centre square in his first game in the Grand Final had me shaking my head.

North of the last ten years (at least) would never even consider something as radical as mixing it up in the middle.

Time for us to take some risks.

Tigers will sell Brandon Ellis for a first round pick this off-season. Meanwhile, this board treats any of our established players as untouchable.
Agree. We take a lot of pride in 'retention of players'; 'we never win the wooden spoon'; 'we take our first 3 picks in the draft'..what a load of drivel..

..we need to take risks, move guys on who aren't up to it, be prepared to sacrifice short term losses for long term gain....

..or we will just end up being like we are now - nice and comfortable in the bottom half of the ladder.

Agree. We take a lot of pride in 'retention of players'; 'we never win the wooden spoon'; 'we take our first 3 picks in the draft'..what a load of drivel..

..we need to take risks, move guys on who aren't up to it, be prepared to sacrifice short term losses for long term gain....

..or we will just end up being like we are now - nice and comfortable in the bottom half of the ladder.

Played TT in there a bit, I thought that gave us a different look.

I won't bring up Atley .... but I will

This is a bit reactionary, GWS played their grand final last week, they were pathetic today. Sides look quick when you don't put them under immense pressure. Port is a much quicker side than us all over the park, did you get that impression from when we played them Round 22? They looked a lot quicker than us in round 6.

Richmond won 6 of their first 7 games before losing to us and triggered a bit of a losing streak following a bad run with injuries but we put the heat on Richmond. We had 72 tackles vs 55, only allowed them to take 76 marks so didn't allow them to switch and run, they looked slow against us and it was pretty much only a Herculean effort from Martin that kept them in the game before he faded out of the game.

GWS got smashed in the hitouts, laid 56 tackles vs 53 and both teams were allowed to accumulate 100+ marks with Richmond 113 vs 107, this is in the realms of pretty s**t defensive effort by both sides after quarter time. Richmond had no incentive to change it up, everything was going their way after quarter time, GWS just bent over and grabbed their ankles.

Richmond is a much better balanced side in terms of inside vs outside than us, but they had a number of issues when they faced us, Riewoldt and Rance were out injured and Cotchin was coming in after a 8 week layoff due to injuries. They had 9 players with less than 50 games, 2 50-99, 6 100-149 and 5 150+, they fielded a side with 98.5 games of experienced compared to our 111.4 games and Cotchin wasn't 100%.

The difference between the sides were -Stack, McIntosh, Higgins, Balta, Butler and Garthwaite and +Riewoldt, Pickett, Lambert, Short, Nankervis and Rioli which turned the side into 4 players less than 50 games, 6x 50-99, 2x 100-149 and 10x 150+ with an average of 125.6 games. They fielded a better, more experienced side and it had better balance but players that are unavailable are because of injuries or form and you need some depth in your squad to have a shot or pray for an injury free run.

I don't think it is speed, it is consistent work-rate running both ways. We have shown we can play to the required standard, we haven't shown that we can do it consistently.
Every rank golf amateur has shown they can beat par every third round - it's the ability to do it day in day out that makes the difference between amateur and professional - we are the former - Richmond are the latter.

While we have blokes who refuse to chase, who refuse to work hard on defence then we will continue to be a s**t side - it's not rocket science - work hard or be left behind, as we have.

To impress you? Because I can? Because I'm deluded in thinking that people are interested in my banal existence? Because I'm bored and am contributing all sorts of inane comments on the internet? To get my post tally up? All of the above?

No the frickin reverb

I have seen 4 big shows there over the past 20 years and it’s a s**t venue for sound but wat do u do...miss out?

How bout we all show up and watch the footy at 2.30? I get it's a big occasion but the whole focus on the entertainment isn't needed. At the ground you can't see much and all you hear is reverb.

Wouldn’t ******* know... that’s something that needs to change

Every rank golf amateur has shown they can beat par every third round - it's the ability to do it day in day out that makes the difference between amateur and professional - we are the former - Richmond are the latter.

While we have blokes who refuse to chase, who refuse to work hard on defence then we will continue to be a s**t side - it's not rocket science - work hard or be left behind, as we have.

You have to be conditioned to have the hunger and the desire to be the best, Richmond were in a similar position to where we have been prior to them tweaking their list and game plan, they have recruited more smaller zippier players but there is the expectation for them to put in the hard yards as well, to do the defensive efforts.

The major difference is the variance between both club's recruitment and development, we are taking too long to get players up to speed and we have players with significant limitations pretty much holding down spots for 150-200 games who wouldn't get a look in a better side.

It doesn't matter how good or bad Brad was or Shaw is, if we don't have the cattle it wont matter a whole lot what we do. However, we have different strengths to Richmond and we need a tweaked gameplan that makes the most of our strengths. We can't play like they play with a radically different list.

I still think we have the players to play good consistent footy, our coaching, recruitment and development hasn't been a strong suit and there is a lot of room for improvement.

That’s a pretty s**t example. Ellis is a terrible footballer
He has neat skills but is soft and prone to panicking with ball in hand; you'll struggle to find a Richmond supporter who rates him. If they get a first rounder for him there's something very wrong with the system.

Surely no-one on this board would do that?

Anyway, I'm off to start a thread about what I had for breakfast this morning.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back