2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Campbell. Impressive. Yep, Take him.

Gulden. Seems like he's the hardest working guy on the field. Take him too.

Looking forward to the old "Academy" thread firing up on the mainboard again!

Campbell is good. Good kicking. Doesnt mind to take the game on

Gulden has been industrious, nothing earth shattering just makes the right choices, especially in traffic

This hungover twit slept in and missed this game. I was really looking forward to it, does anyone know if it will still be available to stream later? Might watch it in lieu of the GF!

No idea... maybe put on youtube at some point.

That run off HBF and delivery of ball to Phillips wsas very... Kelly like

Also Gulden is a goer. Nice spoil

From a layman's perspective. Campbell looks like 10-20 range and Gulden 20-30. I think both will get marked harshly for a perceived lack of athletic upside, which is good for us as both look like they are close to can't miss prospects. Both are beautifully skilled and make smart decisions.

While both are shortish, they are solidly built so it isn't like they are going to be 23 and still getting pushed off the ball.

Campbell almost looks like he could be playing in a forward pocket for us now.

Everyone has an academy now so I think it will settle down a bit

Everyone has an academy now so I think it will settle down a bit

good point.

Personally I would have no issue with them doing away with the discount for academy and FS players. Having the access is advantage enough.

That said, its not like any Melbourne teams are going to concede on any of their ridiculous advantages so ... fck em!

It's a shame they don't show the game on TV anymore. I used to love watching the youngsters running around trying to pick out the potential guns. It's more entertaining than watching BT roaming the corporate tents.

Have already seen one post saying Campbell is a ‘gun’ and bitching about the academy.

A Loba way to go yet for both of them. And I wish anyone close to decent was tagged a top 10 pick simply because they’re from our academy

Gulden had at least some one running with him for a fair portion of the game

It's a shame they don't show the game on TV anymore. I used to love watching the youngsters running around trying to pick out the potential guns. It's more entertaining than watching BT roaming the corporate tents.

or people kicking a football into the yarra.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

good point.

Personally I would have no issue with them doing away with the discount for academy and FS players. Having the access is advantage enough.

That said, its not like any Melbourne teams are going to concede on any of their ridiculous advantages so ... fck em!

Id go the other way. The frontier clubs need home grown talent to survive and be relevant long term. Every academy pick is an additional quality footballer added to the mix. And consequently a better quality Victorian player available to a Victorian club.

As the Queensland clubs have shown, when things aren’t going well it seems to coincide with a homesickness epidemic. And you can’t blame the boys for that. Why should they be forced, in a draft system, to live hours from home and be in a miserable workplace.

The resulting competitive imbalance is nowhere close to the MCG Grand Final farce.

Id go the other way. The frontier clubs need home grown talent to survive and be relevant long term. Every academy pick is an additional quality footballer added to the mix. And consequently a better quality Victorian player available to a Victorian club.

As the Queensland clubs have shown, when things aren’t going well it seems to coincide with a homesickness epidemic. And you can’t blame the boys for that. Why should they be forced, in a draft system, to live hours from home and be in a miserable workplace.

The resulting competitive imbalance is nowhere close to the MCG Grand Final farce.

I think the bigger farce is the one you quoted about homesickness. It's not really a farce though, it is just reality. The point is that it only ever gets acknowledged one way. Why when there is a discussion about our Academy is there not a discussion about how collingwood have poached treloar, adams, and hoskin elliot from gws. I could go through each melbourne club and quote players they have received from the expansion clubs that they would otherwise probably not had access to.

If lynch and prestia were drafted by anyone else other than Gold Coast or GWS, there is next to no chance they are playing for Richmond today.

In addition to the extra difficulty interstate clubs have in retaining talent, every Victorian club has received discounted young talent from both Gold Coast and GWS. Nearly every club has had multiple early draft picks comes back to them for far less than they went in the draft. We have received nothing from either club, and there is no indication that that is going to change.

Personally though, I can see how the Academy is seen as a big advantage for us and if I am going to listen to a serious discussion on the issue then there needs to be some acknowledgement of both the advantages and disadvantages that go both ways.

I like this a lot

GOALS
Team Brown:
Campbell 3, Hollands 2, Ford 2, McInnes 2, Coleman 2, Jeffrey 2, Phillips, Gribble, Treacy
Team Dal Santo: Gulden, Davies, Carroll, Durdin, Callow, Henry, Walsh, Smith, Green

BEST
Team Brown:
Campbell, Hollands, Phillips, Bowey, Downie, Ford
Team Dal Santo: Gulden, Davies, Western, Durdin, Macrae, Michael

I like this a lot

GOALS
Team Brown:
Campbell 3, Hollands 2, Ford 2, McInnes 2, Coleman 2, Jeffrey 2, Phillips, Gribble, Treacy
Team Dal Santo: Gulden, Davies, Carroll, Durdin, Callow, Henry, Walsh, Smith, Green

BEST
Team Brown:

haha, god that is going to wind people up.

I thought Hollands and Phillips looked like the best players for the first 3 quarters, i didn't watch the last quarter. Hollands looked a standout though.

I wasn't blown away by anything i saw from jamarra ugle.

haha, god that is going to wind people up.

I thought Hollands and Phillips looked like the best players for the first 3 quarters, i didn't watch the last quarter. Hollands looked a standout though.

I wasn't blown away by anything i saw from jamarra ugle.

Hollands was huge. Campbell was incisive.

Probably worst game ugle played this year

I was under the impression Campbell was shaping up as a second or third round pick. Is that assumption incorrect as he just played a game against the best players of his age group and he was deemed to be best on ground. Is he more of a first round prospect?

As a random coincidence, I already booked my fishing trip at that exact time next year....

I look forward to having many insightful discussions about our academies.

I like this a lot

GOALS
Team Brown:

BEST
Team Brown:

I hope that doesn't mean that both will be top 10 picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back