2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

DST

Premiership Player
May 1, 2003
In enemy territory
AFL Club
Sydney
I was under the impression Campbell was shaping up as a second or third round pick. Is that assumption incorrect as he just played a game against the best players of his age group and he was deemed to be best on ground. Is he more of a first round prospect?

The improvement in Campbell this year has been massive. If he has another 12 months like this he will be discussed as a first rounder in 2020.

At this stage on exposed form in the U18 as a bottom age’r, Gulden is considered a first rounder, possibly a top 10.

But time will tell......

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Blood red

Team Captain
Sep 12, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
The improvement in Campbell this year has been massive. If he has another 12 months like this he will be discussed as a first rounder in 2020.

At this stage on exposed form in the U18 as a bottom age’r, Gulden is considered a first rounder, possibly a top 10.

But time will tell......

I agree that Campbell is talented, as is Errol.
How many small players can we take?
The NEAFL side has lots, still looking for a preseason or 5.
The academy boys on the radar for this year are headed by Thorn, another small, but talented player.
Balance is essential, but our 2021 team is looking full of small talented players, with no real sizable mids.
We need some big units too.

DST

Premiership Player
May 1, 2003
In enemy territory
AFL Club
Sydney
The academy boys on the radar for this year are headed by Thorn, another small, but talented player.
Balance is essential, but our 2021 team is looking full of small talented players, with no real sizable mids.

You always take the best talent possible first, then for type or trade for it.

Also midfielders is the area for concern for us at present, so it won’t be a problem taking these 3.

We will also take Rayner this year as KP player from the academy and Ellem is an outside chance as well as a rookie.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans

Also midfielders is the area for concern for us at present, so it won’t be a problem taking these 3.

We will also take Rayner this year as KP player from the academy and Ellem is an outside chance as well as a rookie.

Not convinced Rayner will get selected at all now. Really didn’t seem to progress this year.

DavyRed

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

This time last year Rayner was probably top of the list to get drafted by us. Now he’ll be incredibly lucky to get in the NDS, let alone get drafted. Had a terrible season, seemed totally uninterested and by all accounts is now focussed on his Academic studies.

DST

Premiership Player
May 1, 2003
In enemy territory
AFL Club
Sydney
This time last year Rayner was probably top of the list to get drafted by us. Now he’ll be incredibly lucky to get in the NDS, let alone get drafted. Had a terrible season, seemed totally uninterested and by all accounts is now focussed on his Academic studies.

Exactly as the club would have planned it.

Essentially gave him a gap year this year due to his situation with his studies.

With any luck he gets to our rookie selections, but he won’t.

There are a number of other clubs well aware if his talent that will have a go later in the draft.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Rayner did his HSC last year.
Not sure there was a study situation this year? I mean I am sure he went to uni, intelligent kid from what I can gather... but not sure it should have seen any gap years given...

I’d take Ellem over him to be honest.

I concede my view of things is limited of course and I could be wrong.

DavyRed

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Exactly as the club would have planned it.

Essentially gave him a gap year this year due to his situation with his studies.

With any luck he gets to our rookie selections, but he won’t.

There are a number of other clubs well aware if his talent that will have a go later in the draft.

No gap year, he’s been at uni this year. Look, I hope you’re right. I actually hope it was a cunning plan to take him away from the attention of recruiters and pick him up on the cheap. I don’t think you are though. Those clubs who are supposedly interested in him must be keeping their cards extremely close to their chests given not a single one invited him to any of the combines.

Blood red

Team Captain
Sep 12, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney

Short odds that Rayner won't be taken.
My money would be on Parks and Thorn.
Ellem will prob be rookied..but by the Swans??
Best talent?
Maybe this old adage needs updating?
Look at the NEAFL.
Too many small mids.
Rebounding half backs!
Best available?? Look at the number of rookies and late draft picks that rise in the Swans.
If you run a business and need an accountant you don't take the lawyer simply because they are the best, you find the best accountant.
The best kid available? Think it's time to hang up that manta... look at Carlton. Still not working for them. Of course you will quote Cripps, a massive unit, who wouldn't be able to use him?
How bout Lacoscious? (sp) he was the best available, but the worst fit for GC.
We need some big bodied, hard arses. Lose Jones and replace him with who? A 19 year old with arms and legs like match sticks? Maybe Hirst could get in there?
How many smalls can we carry? Seriously?

Opts

Club Legend
Aug 18, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
That's why we need to keep our first pick and select Kemp.

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney

But time will tell......

Surely Gulden will never get to top 10 due to his height? Daniels was tearing the TAC apart but fell well behind due to his height?

DST

Premiership Player
May 1, 2003
In enemy territory
AFL Club
Sydney
Surely Gulden will never get to top 10 due to his height? Daniels was tearing the TAC apart but fell well behind due to his height?

Don’t get me wrong Daniel’s is a very very good player, but recruiters would see much more up-side to Gulden than Daniel at this stage due to his pace and ability to cover the ground.

We will know more post the 6 or 7 games next year in the U18 NAB Cup but as a bottom age’r this year he couldn’t have done anything more.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
Rayner did his HSC last year.
Not sure there was a study situation this year? I mean I am sure he went to uni, intelligent kid from what I can gather... but not sure it should have seen any gap years given...

I’d take Ellem over him to be honest.

I concede my view of things is limited of course and I could be wrong.
I'd just take them all Masey & fill our list with NSW kids. At least the go home factor is a non issue & we can rest assuered whatever development we put into them is not all for nothing.
Load up until in 5 years we have 70% of our list local boys.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
I'd just take them all Masey & fill our list with NSW kids. At least the go home factor is a non issue & we can rest assuered whatever development we put into them is not all for nothing.
Load up until in 5 years we have 70% of our list local boys.

I like the ideal in theory Ted. Practically though it would see our list in a very poor state of affairs indeed.

They’ve still got to be good enough.

DavyRed

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I like the ideal in theory Ted. Practically though it would see our list in a very poor state of affairs indeed.

They’ve still got to be good enough.
I had a very interesting chat with someone inside the Academy last week and to say he is frustrated is a major understatement. His view is that not only other clubs but the Swans themselves are far too conservative about taking a chance on Academy kids.

He genuinely believes that we have at least half a dozen kids this year who are worth at least selecting as rookies but the Swans, for all their talk, would rather take a punt on a Victorian kid of the same or even lesser ability.

I’ve always thought that the Academy is only about taking the absolute elite players - the Henney’s, Mills’ and Blakey’s. Anything less than that and they won’t take the gamble. The guy’s comments confirm that for me.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
I had a very interesting chat with someone inside the Academy last week and to say he is frustrated is a major understatement. His view is that not only other clubs but the Swans themselves are far too conservative about taking a chance on Academy kids.

He genuinely believes that we have at least half a dozen kids this year who are worth at least selecting as rookies but the Swans, for all their talk, would rather take a punt on a Victorian kid of the same or even lesser ability.

I’ve always thought that the Academy is only about taking the absolute elite players - the Henney’s, Mills’ and Blakey’s. Anything less than that and they won’t take the gamble. The guy’s comments confirm that for me.

I definitely think where two players are considered equal (or close to), we should be taking a homegrown academy kid where possible.

DST

Premiership Player
May 1, 2003
In enemy territory
AFL Club
Sydney

It would be frustrating, but the problem is we don’t have an endless supply of rookie selections that we can just use.

There is no doubt while we don’t have anything elite this year, we have a very good group of foot soldiers that go deep and probably deserve a chance.

Let’s hope that we can find spots on the rookie list to take 4 or 5.

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney

That guy must of forgotten about the gambles we've taken on Abe Davis, Jack Hiscox, Jordon Foote, Daniel Robinson, Sam Wicks, Jake Brown, James Bell, Sam Naismith, and Brendon Jack. None close to elite, still given a chance (at times for a huge cost to get them) and little output in return.

We can't rely on the academy alone, but to say we won't take chances on academy players less than the Heeney and Mills of the world is down right wrong

Blood red

Team Captain
Sep 12, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
That guy must of forgotten about the gambles we've taken on Abe Davis, Jack Hiscox, Jordon Foote, Daniel Robinson, Sam Wicks, Jake Brown, James Bell, Sam Naismith, and Brendon Jack. None close to elite, still given a chance (at times for a huge cost to get them) and little output in return.

We can't rely on the academy alone, but to say we won't take chances on academy players less than the Heeney and Mills of the world is down right wrong
I guess if we list the Vic kids that didn't make it in those same years, the list would be much longer.
Foot soldiers? Hmmm. Rather go to war with 22 of those then 3 generals though!

Blood red

Team Captain
Sep 12, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
The Swans Academy breed kids to play a team game, unselfish and hard at the ball.
They ask each to play a role that means the team benefits.
Then the kids play that way and are discribed as foot soldiers, not elite!
To get noticed, players need to take shots at goal that are less likely then the open pass to an unmarked player OR accumulate massisive possesion numbers, but make no hard tackles or do the grunt work that allows that.
They teach them to be AFL players in a system that rewards school boy standouts!
Then select a Vic kid who needs 2 or 3 pre seasons before he won't blow away when the southerly hits.
Why spend so much time teaching the 'Swans way', or in the gym if it only gets overlooked because "they only beat teams because they are more physical and less skilled" OR they are just a good team, but no Elites!
F#%% me, they are closer to professional footballers then most.

Back