Traded Paddy Ryder [traded to St Kilda with Dougal Howard]

Nihilus

Club Legend
Mar 4, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Will be traded for a future 3rd or 4th rounder id think.

seeing how he played towards the end of the year with the Power (instead of Lycett) we are probably trying to improve his value & was looking for a future 3rd pick …

if he played in the Magpies towards the end of the year I would have said future 4th

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yep, Port had an offer on the table.

You can't expect to get a decent pick for a 31 year old that spent time in the SANFL and was offered a 1 year deal though.

I'd be surprised if it wasnt just a token pick.

I don’t know what your definition of decent or token is.

Port shouldn’t gift a player to another team. That team should pay for him in a trade.

As many port fans have said on here that price would not be expensive. Just a useable pick for us.

Saints fans maybe could hope that port gift him to you for nothing, but that’s exactly what it should be. Hope, not expectation.

He’s going to be a first 22 player for you, you can say that isn’t true if you like, but I’m positive that Ryder did not leave port (and turn down Essendon) to play in the vfl.

Saints have obviously promised him that he is in their plans for first 22 to play with Marshall. If I recollect he’s even commented recently in the media that they told him that is the plan.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda

Port shouldn’t gift a player to another team. That team should pay for him in a trade.

As many port fans have said on here that price would not be expensive. Just a useable pick for us.

Saints fans maybe could hope that port gift him to you for nothing, but that’s exactly what it should be. Hope, not expectation.

He’s going to be a first 22 player for you, you can say that isn’t true if you like, but I’m positive that Ryder did not leave port (and turn down Essendon) to play in the vfl.

Saints have obviously promised him that he is in their plans for first 22 to play with Marshall. If I recollect he’s even commented recently in the media that they told him that is the plan.
There is absolutely no guarantee he'll be best 22 next year and I'm sure he hasn't been promised that. I listened to his interview on trade radio and don't recall him saying anything like that. He did say he'd like to play 50/50 ruck but had not talked to the coaches about his role.

No doubt the plan would be for him to be best 22, but it's not a definite.

A token pick means likely a 4th rounder, which you have plenty of, so maybe one next year.

I know the pre season draft threat gets used a lot, but this is one occasion where I could just see the club say they'd take him that way if Port demand too much.

What do you honestly expect to get for a 31 year old offered a one year deal that was dropped from your side?

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
There is absolutely no guarantee he'll be best 22 next year and I'm sure he hasn't been promised that. I listened to his interview on trade radio and don't recall him saying anything like that. He did say he'd like to play 50/50 ruck but had not talked to the coaches about his role.

No doubt the plan would be for him to be best 22, but it's not a definite.

A token pick means likely a 4th rounder, which you have plenty of, so maybe one next year.

I know the pre season draft threat gets used a lot, but this is one occasion where I could just see the club say they'd take him that way if Port demand too much.

What do you honestly expect to get for a 31 year old offered a one year deal that was dropped from your side?

At worst a future 4th

At best a future 3rd

Is my thinking.

They’re useable picks for port.

stfan

The Fan in Waiting
Mar 12, 2008
Melb
AFL Club
St Kilda

He’s going to be a first 22 player for you,

Yes, but only briefly. It is purely a two year deal and then gone. The second year may see few games as well.

you can say that isn’t true if you like, but I’m positive that Ryder did not leave port (and turn down Essendon) to play in the vfl.

Saints have obviously promised him that he is in their plans for first 22 to play with Marshall.

If I recollect he’s even commented recently in the media that they told him that is the plan.

Ryder:
One of St Kilda’s biggest improvers in 2019, Rowan Marshall, will line-up alongside Ryder for 2020 — but the Power ruckman believes the pair can form a potent duo — even if it means more time for Ryder up forward.

“I’m anticipating (playing) more forward,” he said.

“At Port Adelaide I was stuck up forward more. It probably didn’t work out as well as we wanted

“I see going into St Kilda and really complementing him."

“I think with a player like Rowan, I would be very happy with 50/50 (ruck time). I haven’t really sat down with coaches and nutted down my role.

Thing is that Ryder does not have much playing time left. As his use by date is obvious that severely impacts his trade value.

He has no upside, no longevity and is being taken as a useful stop-gap. He is not the missing link that will snag us a flag, and will be gone before we are.

Once players get near the end their trade price plummets. This is where Paddy is, near the end.

ie Look at Sam Mitchell, a better players than Ryder who was traded to the Eagles.
The Hawks will receive picks 52, 70 and 88 in exchange for their club legend.

The Eagles will also receive picks 54 and 72 as part of the deal.

This is quite possibly the type of deal that will be done for Ryder. An exchange of picks where you move a little up the order. This gives Port something usable, but not an early pick outright which would be paying overs.

The other factor is that Sam Gray may also be on his way to the Saints, in which case it might be something like a third as a package deal for the both of them rather than two individual picks.

Saints have offered Newnes a deal on minimum wage, that's not to say we want him on our list...

Newnes isn't 31. Offering a 31 year old a one year deal is pretty standard list management, it hardly points to a burning desire to kick Paddy out of the club. If the Saints want to offer a 31 year old a two year deal to be their second ruck, more power to them and congrats to Paddy.

stfan

The Fan in Waiting
Mar 12, 2008
Melb
AFL Club
St Kilda
The other factor is that Sam Gray may also be on his way to the Saints, in which case it might be something like a third as a package deal for the both of them rather than two individual picks.

Yes if we take both it would not surprise if it is all just down as the one deal.

Duckimus Prime

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
ie Look at Sam Mitchell, a better players than Ryder who was traded to the Eagles.
The Hawks will receive picks 52, 70 and 88 in exchange for their club legend.

The Eagles will also receive picks 54 and 72 as part of the deal.

This is quite possibly the type of deal that will be done for Ryder. An exchange of picks where you move a little up the order. This gives Port something usable, but not an early pick outright which would be paying overs.
Hawthorn weren't offering Sam Mitchell a deal to keep playing.

Adz2332

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 9, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Ryder isnt worth much if anything.
The fact Saints will play him forward is baffling, didnt work at Port and older with more injuries surely wont improve!
future 4th id take or package him and Sgray for a third etc?

Oct 28, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
what if Marshall goes down or Ryder Goes Down due to injury next year? your still left with the 1 Ruck, the saints are still gonna have to go to the Draft an get another Ruck , takes sometime in the VFL to Train another Ruck up to A+ , they dont just fall off the tree. the saints should of went after Billy Frampton.
So are continuing the "Paddy" theme, are you saying that " to be sure to be sure" we should have 44 ruck men on our list?

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
The fact Saints will play him forward is baffling, didnt work at Port and older with more injuries surely wont improve!
future 4th id take or package him and Sgray for a third etc?
Only guessing as the coaches haven't even told him his role yet. Straight from his mouth.

If I'm guessing I'd say that the plan would be to almost play them 50-50. Marshall was a forward before 6 months ago. Ryder can at least have some impact there.

The last two premiers have shown that you can play two rucks in the same side, which went away from what sides were doing.

If it doesn't work than Ryder plays in the VFL on below the minimum wage and we have a handy back up for Marshall that has cost us next to nothing in a trade.

stfan

The Fan in Waiting
Mar 12, 2008
Melb
AFL Club
St Kilda
future 4th id take or package him and S Gray for a third etc?

Yes we know that he will not improve.

Again. Saints have one ruck at present on our list. One. The other two we had have both just retired due to concussion.
This means that at present for ruck drills at training that Marshall has no-one to compete with. How is Marshall meant to develop properly?

Ryder is a cheap (both $$$ and trade) back -up ruck. Too may seem to think we are chasing him as a main player. He is not and is being recruited as back-up and depth. When in the 22 he will be in our bottom 6. This we know.
He is a short term band-aid and 2 years and he will be gone.

If he cost much in $$$ or tradewise he would not be joining St Kilda.

Saints will also draft/trade in a young ruck to get back to three on list. This player and Marshal will learn of Paddy.

PS: We have an International Rookie who is a ruck, but he is way too raw to play AFL next year, and probably not even at Sandringham.

Back