2019 AFL Crowds & Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW numbers still a tiny bit off fyi. 241,189 / 38 = 6,347 per game (up 0.12% from 2018's 6,339 average). And that includes counting the Moreton Bay "TBC" as 0, as well as not counting the Marvel double-header crowd twice, to be clear. Source being womens.afl match reports.

AFLW numbers still a tiny bit off fyi. 241,189 / 38 = 6,347 per game (up 0.12% from 2018's 6,339 average). And that includes counting the Moreton Bay "TBC" as 0, as well as not counting the Marvel double-header crowd twice, to be clear. Source being womens.afl match reports.

Ive assigned an average number to the Moreton bay figure, and the double header crowd was split.

Ive assigned an average number to the Moreton bay figure, and the double header crowd was split.
Sorry if I wasn't as clear as hoped re the double-header, but yeah that's what I meant. So I reckon something else is nqr, might not be worth the time figuring out what though.

A one-sided contest has delivered the lowest audience for 26 years for the 2019 AFL Grand Final.

An average national audience of 2.939 Million tuned in to witness the Richmond Tigers demolish the Western Sydney Giants by 89 points in their first Grand Final appearance.

The figure is the lowest on a record for an AFL Grand Final since Metro+Regional figures started being recorded in 2003

The match, which was effectively over by half-time, was watched by an average 5-City metro audience of 2.197 Million viewers. That’s the lowest metro audience for a Grand Final since 1993 when just 2.171 Million tuned in for Essendon defeating Carlton.

Richmond vs Giants - 5 City Figures 2019

• Melbourne - 991k
  • Sydney - 372k
  • Brisbane - 317k
  • Adelaide - 232k
  • Perth - 286k
  • Regional - 741k
Yesterday's match was considerably lower than last year's nail-biting finale between Collingwood and West Coast. The 2018 contest delivered an average national audience of 3.378 Million (2.601mil 5-City Metro).

Richmond's previous victory in the 2017 Grand Final delivered Seven an average national audience of 3.524 Million (2.680mil 5-City Metro). The Tigers contest versus Adelaide Crows peaked at 4.173 Million.

Seven had hoped the 2019 Grand Final, featuring teams from Australia's two largest cities would deliver a ratings bump for the broadcast.

In 2012, the Sydney Swans defeated Hawthorn. The match remains as the highest rating Grand Final in the past ten years with an average national audience of 4.415 Million (3.196mil 5-City Metro). The audience for that day included 740,000 viewers in Sydney.

The 2016 Grand Final between the Western Bulldogs and Sydney Swans also delivered a ratings spike, with an average national audience of 4.089 Million (3.039mil 5-City Metro) including 534,000 viewers in Sydney.

Nine had a larger network share than Seven did yesterday.

I hope so
I hope they go the whole hog and have a night GF which could easily add a million more viewers.

If its good enough to play the cut throat PF,s twilight or at night why is the GF so special that is has to be played in the daylight.

Apart from being a much better spectacle against a day GF a night GF is how many times in a day match at the MCG do players lose sight of the ball due to the sun in their eyes late in the match which can lead to mistakes?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Impressive turn out by GWS supporters, much better than I anticipated. Pity their team didn't show up for them. Good job by the MCC to fill the reserve again (and sell tickets to restricted members), as well as last Friday when they filled the reserve even when there were tickets available in general admin. Get kicked when they get it wrong, rarely get acknowledged when they get it right.

As for the timeslot, if the numbers are the most important aspect for you then I understand why people advocate for it. But don't try and say the quality of game would be better, skills are always worse in night games.

As for the timeslot, if the numbers are the most important aspect for you then I understand why people advocate for it. But don't try and say the quality of game would be better, skills are always worse in night games.
Riiiight, because yesterday was an awesome game. But the Collingwood-GWS prelim under lights and in the wet? So boring!

Riiiight, because yesterday was an awesome game. But the Collingwood-GWS prelim under lights and in the wet? So boring!
I didn't think I needed to spell it out, but of course I meant in a like for like comparison. Of course there are good games played at night and poor games played during the day. The chances of it being higher quality in terms of skills are simply higher for day games. I suppose you could argue that the comparatively lower skill quality of night games would reduce the chances of blowouts like yesterday's game though.

I didn't think I needed to spell it out, but of course I meant in a like for like comparison. Of course there are good games played at night and poor games played during the day. The chances of it being higher quality in terms of skills are simply higher for day games. I suppose you could argue that the comparatively lower skill quality of night games would reduce the chances of blowouts like yesterday's game though.
How many wet weather grand finals has there been in the last 20 years? 3 or 4 and they've all been genuine classics, with the results defined by brilliant and iconic moments of skill.

How many wet weather grand finals has there been in the last 20 years? 3 or 4 and they've all been genuine classics, with the results defined by brilliant and iconic moments of skill.
OK, you would prefer a lower quality of skill in grand finals. I think you'd be in the minority on that one.

A one-sided contest has delivered the lowest audience for 26 years for the 2019 AFL Grand Final.

An average national audience of 2.939 Million tuned in to witness the Richmond Tigers demolish the Western Sydney Giants by 89 points in their first Grand Final appearance.

The figure is the lowest on a record for an AFL Grand Final since Metro+Regional figures started being recorded in 2003

The match, which was effectively over by half-time, was watched by an average 5-City metro audience of 2.197 Million viewers. That’s the lowest metro audience for a Grand Final since 1993 when just 2.171 Million tuned in for Essendon defeating Carlton.

Richmond vs Giants - 5 City Figures 2019

• Melbourne - 991k
  • Sydney - 372k
  • Brisbane - 317k
  • Adelaide - 232k
  • Perth - 286k
  • Regional - 741k
Yesterday's match was considerably lower than last year's nail-biting finale between Collingwood and West Coast. The 2018 contest delivered an average national audience of 3.378 Million (2.601mil 5-City Metro).

Richmond's previous victory in the 2017 Grand Final delivered Seven an average national audience of 3.524 Million (2.680mil 5-City Metro). The Tigers contest versus Adelaide Crows peaked at 4.173 Million.

Seven had hoped the 2019 Grand Final, featuring teams from Australia's two largest cities would deliver a ratings bump for the broadcast.

In 2012, the Sydney Swans defeated Hawthorn. The match remains as the highest rating Grand Final in the past ten years with an average national audience of 4.415 Million (3.196mil 5-City Metro). The audience for that day included 740,000 viewers in Sydney.

The 2016 Grand Final between the Western Bulldogs and Sydney Swans also delivered a ratings spike, with an average national audience of 4.089 Million (3.039mil 5-City Metro) including 534,000 viewers in Sydney.

As we thought it would be.

Surely those numbers for Adelaide and Perth are particularly bad though for a gf?

Yeah, without checking previous years numbers, under 300k does seem to be pretty bad.

In the end i'd imagine Channel 7 will probably measure the 1st half numbers against other years before panicking about it - I can thoroughly understand why someone would have switched off at half time, or at best 10 minutes into the 3rd quarter. That's obviously going to impact the average audience.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back