Creating a national competition

Remove this Banner Ad

liam123

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Most of you will think this is another response to Richmond winning. However it’s not. Having the newly created teams join the vfl is fundamentally flawed no
Matter who wins. If we are going to have a truly national competition where every team has equal opportunity then we need to start again.

The competition could be:
-made up of 12 teams: two teams from qld, NSW, Vic, SA and WA. One team each for Tasmania and NT.

-Each team can play each other twice in a completely unbiased home and away fixture.

-finals could be top 4 teams with the most highly ranked teams getting home advantages.

-Essentially all the existing teams from Qld, NSW, SA and WA could remain the same. Create 2 new clubs in vic, and one in each of tas and NT.

- Victorian clubs could remain part of the vfl without ruining any history and that competition could continue essentially in the same way as the SANFL or WAFL.

I honestly don’t see issues other than the vfl losing some money?

Most of you will think this is another response to Richmond winning. However it’s not. Having the newly created teams join the vfl is fundamentally flawed no
Matter who wins. If we are going to have a truly national competition where every team has equal opportunity then we need to start again.

-made up of 12 teams: two teams from qld, NSW, Vic, SA and WA. One team each for Tasmania and NT.

-Each team can play each other twice in a completely unbiased home and away fixture.

-finals could be top 4 teams with the most highly ranked teams getting home advantages.

-Essentially all the existing teams from Qld, NSW, SA and WA could remain the same. Create 2 new clubs in vic, and one in each of tas and NT.

- Victorian clubs could remain part of the vfl without ruining any history and that competition could continue essentially in the same way as the SANFL or WAFL.

There's nothing wrong with the idea mate but the timing of it looks like sour grapes. Also I have to admit footy is run on VIC cash just like India finance cricket and get the best tours. Not much fun if you're not Indian or Victorian but it's just the way it goes. you've got nothing to worry about tho. Our team pulled off the miracle of the decade last year. We know how to win at the MCG. We'll do it again too. WA ftw

Why?

Victoria accounts for 50% of attendances, over 50% of members. Why do they need to be treated equally with Queensland. The 2 are not equal.

Because it’s called a national competition. Victoria van keep the VFL teams. This is a competition which will grow the game as it is based on fairness and equal opportunities. If vics don’t like it they can keep watching vfl

There's nothing wrong with the idea mate but the timing of it looks like sour grapes. Also I have to admit footy is run on VIC cash just like India finance cricket and get the best tours. Not much fun if you're not Indian or Victorian but it's just the way it goes. you've got nothing to worry about tho. Our team pulled off the miracle of the decade last year. We know how to win at the MCG. We'll do it again too. WA ftw
This is why it’s not sour grapes. West coast are one of few non vic clubs capable of being successful. That’s ok but for the sake of competition and growing the game I think it should change

This is why it’s not sour grapes. West coast are one of few non vic clubs capable of being successful. That’s ok but for the sake of competition and growing the game I think it should change
I reckon we need an NRL team mate. How gold coast get a team that doesn't perform for fifteen years and we get nothing is beyond me. Plus they play the GF in Sydney every year. What a disgrace that is. Relocate a Sydney based team or bring back the reds and let some other team have a gf once in a blue moon I say

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because it’s called a national competition. Victoria van keep the VFL teams. This is a competition which will grow the game as it is based on fairness and equal opportunities. If vics don’t like it they can keep watching vfl

It’s the stuff of ideas, not representative of the game’s actual landscape; as such, it would be a failure.

That would basically destroy the game in my opinion. I don’t know how you will convince enough supporters (especially Victorians) to adopt new teams when we are already met with large resistance to even moderate rule changes.

Another thing is that more talent comes from Victoria than Queensland or New South Wales. If this was formed, I think the go home factor would stock the 2 Victorian sides with a lot of talent.

I would be surprised if it works to be honest. I can see Soccer and Rugby become the dominant sports of Australia if something like this occurs.

2 teams in Vic isn't sustainable. Far too saturated and far too much support
Min of 6 is needed, probably supports 7 or 8 without issue.

When you say VFL losing some money, that means AFL losing some money. The AFL do not like this.
Cash > Integrity of the comp.

You have state leagues. Eagles & Dockers play in WAFL, etc etc throughout the year
Have state league premierships.
Top 2 from each league (NEAFL, VFL, SANFL, WAFL) can play finals.
GF from that.

Runs the risk of the talent spreading too thin across teams or concentrating it in one league (Melbourne is a big market for any industry...AFL wouldnt be any different, much like Sydney).

So basically scrap the competition, restart it with 12 brand new teams and all players go into a draft?
Apart from losing probably 3-4 hundred thousand fans, ending 100 odd careers and having rugby league like attendance numbers I really can’t see this going wrong.

The main problem with this is you either pick 2 teams from Vic to stay in which case you lose 90% of your fans in Vic or you start 2 brand new teams in which case you might only lose 80% of your fans in Vic.

I'm sure i'm not the only one but if they announced either scenario and one of the teams wasn't my team I would give the game away.

You lose Vic you lose the league entirely

Last edited:

It’s not a national sport. It’s a Victorian sport with large outposts in SA and WA, and a small one in Tassie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back