Votes: 10 25.0%

• Total voters

240volt

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 23, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
But GWS would not have been called stupid for leaving Davis out or Whitfield for that matter. It may have given them a bit more run and firepower or at worst an excuse for their abysmal performance.

Why does Ken keep having those whoopsie it didn't quite come off moments .. I would have looked like a genius if it did, type moments why?
Ken has those whoopsie it didn’t quite come off moments because he’s not a coaches bum hole full stop.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
I done the mistake of looking at the stats for the 2007 Grand Final. I was surprised to see we had the last 4 scoring shots. Dare I say if that game went for another 6 hours we might have caught them! Or if the ump played school lunch time rules and reverted to last goal wins!

The stadium deal and the SANFL’s self-defeating vendetta was the ticking timebomb set to inevitably undermine everything.

The club knew it was in a race against time to cash in on an equal footing and finally did that in 2004.

Whatever the personal ambitions of Bucky, Russell, Pittman, Clarkson, Pelchen, Hardwick, Carr, Schofield and the other members of the exodus, there was always going to be a fiscal slash and burn in the mid-to-late 00’s as per the coming crunch.

The time to blow the whistle was when we were superficially strong, not when we were at our lowest ebb.

But then where would we be?

The ‘Sensible Solution’ of the Football Park lipstick-on-a-pig redevelopment in perpetuity, instead of Adelaide Oval?

But would that have come with more onfield success regardless?

Helluva dilemma.

Hahaha where is that article about the Redevelopment of footy park with that alien football shaped structure and the new lights?

My lord.

Flicked on 73 about 10 minutes ago and saw they have the GF replay on. Flicked on just in time to catch the Marlion Pickett spin. Just saw Jack Riewoldt kick a 40m set shot goal.

During the game I wrote in this thread that Jack has such an easy action kicking set shots for goal. If Ernie Els is called the Big Easy because of his easy relaxed swing, it would be an appropriate nick name for Jack given his goal kicking style.

My favourite part of the replay is Dusty Martin saying * off Razor Ray when he gave a htb free against Dusty. Missed that at the time.

Just had a look at the advanced stats on footy wire.

Pickett only spent 66% of the game on the ground and gained 559m.

Other mids and mids/forwards Prestia 87% 366m, Castagna 92% 586m, Martin 86% 372m, Cotchin 76% 298m, Caddy 85% 414m, Rioli 91% 280m, Edwards 78% 268m - even their usual metre eater Houli had 96% and only 317m. Vlaustin in the back lines 89% 570m second most metres.

One of the commentators got it right when he said he wants to see Pickett after a full Pre season.

I done the mistake of looking at the stats for the 2007 Grand Final. I was surprised to see we had the last 4 scoring shots. Dare I say if that game went for another 6 hours we might have caught them! Or if the ump played school lunch time rules and reverted to last goal wins!

The stats from that game, lol.

If you'd said going into the game that we'd win the clearances, that Chad Cornes, Kane Cornes and Peter Burgoyne would all exceed 30 touches and that Shaun Burgoyne and Warren Tredrea would both have decent games and kick 2 goals each, you'd think 'gee, we're right in this'.

Alas ...

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion

If you'd said going into the game that we'd win the clearances, that Chad Cornes, Kane Cornes and Peter Burgoyne would all exceed 30 touches and that Shaun Burgoyne and Warren Tredrea would both have decent games and kick 2 goals each, you'd think 'gee, we're right in this'.

Alas ...

I like to think if we kicked a little straighter early we just might have been able to put a bit more effort up, but then they also kicked 5.7...

May 9, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Alas ...
I remembered going into that game thinking we had to start well and kick the first couple of goals to put the doubts of years past into Geelong's heads early. I remember Josh Hunt turning a kick out over early but Ebert sprayed the set shot which would've given us a good start then after that they kicked the first 3, we got 2 back but their tails were up and they monstered us all day.

They were a hell of a footy side and that day everything went their way and nothing ours.

gtrxuone

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 20, 2014
W.A.
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
The Black Ducks
Yesterday just shows you that Grand Finals.Are won both on and off the field.The right people running the club.Recruitment and staff,coaches.
The last 3 clubs to dominate the competition in Geelong+Hawthorne+Richmond.Over the last 12 years and West Coast popping up for a flag+Sydney.A one off for the Western Bulldogs.

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
Richmond actually have a lot of ordinary players who you would say would struggle to get a game in most sides. But they blend superbly as a cohesive unit. That's what playing as a team means.
Astbury, Grimes, Short, Ellis, Castagna, et al have been called spuds for so long by so many.
But they all play like superstars in that environment and culture and team dynamic.
Tigers have a great game plan that works whoever they slot into the side.
Contrast with Port............

Richmond actually have a lot of ordinary players who you would say would struggle to get a game in most sides. But they blend superbly as a cohesive unit. That's what playing as a team means.
Astbury, Grimes, Short, Ellis, Castagna, et al have been called spuds for so long by so many.
But they all play like superstars in that environment and culture and team dynamic.
Tigers have a great game plan that works whoever they slot into the side.
Contrast with Port............

We like to blame our 'spuds'

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Data from OzTAM shows that the Seven Network's broadcast of the 2019 AFL Grand Final boasted a metropolitan audience of 2.197 million viewers, compared with 2.601 million in 2018. The nationwide audience fell from 3.378 million in 2018 to just 2.939 million. Richmond's 89-point victory over the Greater Western Sydney Giants was the third-biggest winning margin in AFL/VFL history.

Complete the Norwood infusion??

You used to tell us how successful Stuart Dew is everywhere he goes. That gloss has sort of tarnished lately, but flags still grow where Balmey goes. ;)

You used to tell us how successful Stuart Dew is everywhere he goes. That gloss has sort of tarnished lately, but flags still grow where Balmey goes. ;)
The current Quadrennium isn't over yet. ;) [they will probably win the NEAFL flag next year, where they belong]

Back