Giants fans in Sydney - how much buzz is there?

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
We've heard countless times about how the Giants are a plastic AFL franchise, a marketing exercise to spread Rules into rugby territory, not a 'real' football club with a history, tradition, passionate supporters. I'm sure many of you beg to differ, and I think it takes time for any club to be 'accepted' by the masses, not that you should care.

Anyway, I'm curious how much hype there is about the Giants playing in their first grand final in Sydney, particularly the western suburbs. For those living in Sydney, especially the west, Is there a lot of orange, white and charcoal everywhere? Posters, balloons, streamers? What's the mood in Parramatta, Bankstown, Ashfield, Liverpool etc? What about the Sydney or NSW media? Or would you not even know they were in it? Would be a good indication of how popular AFL is becoming in western Sydney. I live in Footscray and as you can imagine, it was a deluge of red, white and blue before the 2016 gf. They even painted a lot of public buildings and murals. I'm going to the parade as I type this, and I'm curious how many Giants fans will be there.

Sep 8, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GWS
We've heard countless times about how the Giants are a plastic AFL franchise, a marketing exercise to spread Rules into rugby territory, not a 'real' football club with a history, tradition, passionate supporters. I'm sure many of you beg to differ, and I think it takes time for any club to be 'accepted' by the masses, not that you should care.

Anyway, I'm curious how much hype there is about the Giants playing in their first grand final in Sydney, particularly the western suburbs. For those living in Sydney, especially the west, Is there a lot of orange, white and charcoal everywhere? Posters, balloons, streamers? What's the mood in Parramatta, Bankstown, Ashfield, Liverpool etc? What about the Sydney or NSW media? Or would you not even know they were in it? Would be a good indication of how popular AFL is becoming in western Sydney. I live in Footscray and as you can imagine, it was a deluge of red, white and blue before the 2016 gf. They even painted a lot of public buildings and murals. I'm going to the parade as I type this, and I'm curious how many Giants fans will be there.
It's a lot bigger than I thought mate

See some shots below. The laugh with the paper is that the giants very rarely more than a qtr of a page haha.

Harbour bridge and opera house to be lit orange this evening and tomorrow

Great for the sport in this state
Screenshot_20190927-074459.jpeg
Screenshot_20190926-182532_Instagram.jpeg
Screenshot_20190926-182515_Instagram.jpeg
20190926_083957.jpeg
20190924_110403.jpeg
20190924_104730.jpeg
20190924_113119.jpeg

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
That is not correct at all - I don't even follow NRL
Sorry meant total figures prelim vs prelim.

But the Sydney figures for the Giants prelim were higher than the Melbourne figures for the Storm the same weekend at primetime.

So what do you follow? It's not the AFL as you've never discussed the Swans or any other club other than the Giants.
And if it's not the NRL....
Surely you can't be stupid enough to s**t can the Giants if you are an A-league or Super Rugby fan. Surely.

Cyg1992

Team Captain
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
He's a loser with a huge inferiority complex from the western wanderers forum. They claim no one in Western Sydney cares about the giants yet they watch every move the club makes over there like a jealous, uglier sister. Pretty pathetic.

There was great coverage from the media for the final here in Sydney and it certainly was justified. Great to have a truly 2 team city here now.

BarryAglett

7th Round Draft Pick
Sep 24, 2014
Western Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
He's a loser with a huge inferiority complex from the western wanderers forum. They claim no one in Western Sydney cares about the giants yet they watch every move the club makes over there like a jealous, uglier sister. Pretty pathetic.

There was great coverage from the media for the final here in Sydney and it certainly was justified. Great to have a truly 2 team city here now.
That explains it.
A League supporters have a lot to feel inferior about.
I know what football code in Sydney I can safely take my kids to watch.

Cyg1992

Team Captain
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Much safer and a lot more fun at the AFL. Bunch of teenage try hards trying to copy what they see on the red star Belgrade Facebook pages looks like little more than crying for attention.

WDWSF

Draftee
Apr 22, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Much safer and a lot more fun at the AFL. Bunch of teenage try hards trying to copy what they see on the red star Belgrade Facebook pages looks like little more than crying for attention.

You sound extraordinarily bitter....

WDWSF

Draftee
Apr 22, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Crows mate.

Old mate above us has some pent up anger though, that's not healthy for anyone.

Cyg1992

Team Captain
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
If you want to see bitterness or pent up anger, read the western wanderers board. Inferiority complex defined to a tee. Every player suspension or defeat gets celebrated like they won a lotto syndicate together.

No one in this giants message board trashes the wanderers like you guys do there, they rarely get a mention here. Probably have a voodoo doll that you each stick pins into.

Back