Upper Murray FL 2019

Old Kenny

Team Captain
Sep 9, 2007
up there
AFL Club
Sydney
What the junior scene like up that way, is there juniors coming through in realistic numbers to consolidate the clubs ?.
The under 16 comp wound up a few years ago due to lack of numbers. The under 14’s had 4 teams this year. Tumba bullioh Cudgewa and Corryong. Most games were played less than 12 or 13 players throughout the year including girls for some clubs. The under 11 comp is more interesting. All clubs participated. Walwa probably had the least players but most weeks they had between 8 and 12. I know Feds had 15-20 kids including 2-3 girls most weeks.

Went to sand creek yesterday to watch the 14’s and 17’s. Maybe I’m an old grumpy barstard but it was a little bittersweet watching on as 11 of tallangatta 17’s were upper Murray kids. No knock on them they played well but wouldn’t it be great to watch them in an upper Murray team..

Les Malone

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
The under 16 comp wound up a few years ago due to lack of numbers. The under 14’s had 4 teams this year. Tumba bullioh Cudgewa and Corryong. Most games were played less than 12 or 13 players throughout the year including girls for some clubs. The under 11 comp is more interesting. All clubs participated. Walwa probably had the least players but most weeks they had between 8 and 12. I know Feds had 15-20 kids including 2-3 girls most weeks.

Went to sand creek yesterday to watch the 14’s and 17’s. Maybe I’m an old grumpy barstard but it was a little bittersweet watching on as 11 of tallangatta 17’s were upper Murray kids. No knock on them they played well but wouldn’t it be great to watch them in an upper Murray team..

Ok, thanks for that, i must be getting old because i remember a time when the Byatts ( Benny) owned the upper pub and coached and my relatives owned the Indi hotel ( not sure what its called now (coachman ?) in the center of town, plenty of juniors but i am talking about the late 1970's, i was a kid then but do remember stacks of local kids playing.

bidge

Debutant
Sep 7, 2007
Colonial Stadium
AFL Club
Geelong
You'd have to agree that any club within the competition that can't guarantee a game to players weekly is in a compromising position. The league has made the call on the twos for 2020 and that will have great ramifications with clubs struggling to put teams on the field.
Honestly can you see many players travelling from Wodonga to continue to play with UM football clubs??

bidge

Debutant
Sep 7, 2007
Colonial Stadium
AFL Club
Geelong
Tallangatta obviously got some solid players, they'd be looking to increase with some of those young guys playing thirds this season.
Hopefully the standard doesn't drop to low up there.

bidge

Debutant
Sep 7, 2007
Colonial Stadium
AFL Club
Geelong
We've already spoken about Bullioh and there being an exodus from that club.
But if you have a look at a few other clubs, the league and some teams could join Border Walwa with very very low numbers.

bidge

Debutant
Sep 7, 2007
Colonial Stadium
AFL Club
Geelong
Morey - Mitta
Daly - Mitta
Voight -Mitta
Coleman - Chiltern
Heta - Barnawartha
Kindellan - Federals (coach)
Goodman - Thurgoona

Anyone heard about Federals appointing Kindellan rumour?

Old Kenny

Team Captain
Sep 9, 2007
up there
AFL Club
Sydney
Morey - Mitta
Daly - Mitta
Voight -Mitta
Coleman - Chiltern
Heta - Barnawartha
Kindellan - Federals (coach)
Goodman - Thurgoona

Anyone heard about Federals appointing Kindellan rumour?
Haven’t heard that one bidge. I did head foury was pulling the pin but that was second hand info. Who is Kindellan? Is he still handy in the Tdfl? Heard Corryong we’re into an ex player to coach but that had cooled over the last fortnight. Also was told that bullioh was headed to the Omeo league. 🥴

bidge

Debutant
Sep 7, 2007
Colonial Stadium
AFL Club
Geelong
Kindellan played at Kiewa last couple of seasons. He has previously played at Wodonga in the Ovens and Murray. Just a run with player at both levels. If he goes up there he would need a fair few players. Foury had a lot of connections to get players up at the footy club.
Bullioh to Omeo....That would be some travel.....

JOHNNY GASTEV

Team Captain
Jan 7, 2008
Lavington
AFL Club
West Coast
Kindellan played at Kiewa last couple of seasons. He has previously played at Wodonga in the Ovens and Murray. Just a run with player at both levels. If he goes up there he would need a fair few players. Foury had a lot of connections to get players up at the footy club.
Bullioh to Omeo....That would be some travel.....
Haven’t heard that one bidge. I did head foury was pulling the pin but that was second hand info. Who is Kindellan? Is he still handy in the Tdfl? Heard Corryong we’re into an ex player to coach but that had cooled over the last fortnight. Also was told that bullioh was headed to the Omeo league. 🥴
Bullioh will stay in the Upper Murray if they don’t get cleared.

bidge

Debutant
Sep 7, 2007
Colonial Stadium
AFL Club
Geelong
I have heard Bullioh and Wodonga Saints are in merger talks again. Has anyone else heard this?

I feel this would be best for everyone. I have no affiliation with either club and can't give a definitive answer to you, but clerically it would make sense. Bullioh are interested in joining the TDFL but don't have the junior structure in place to support it. Wodonga Saints have some junior structure and a strong netball club, but lack depth in senior football terms. Wodonga Saints have had some older players filling numbers within their club week to week and this would take the pressure off. Bullioh will only cater for a senior team playing UM in 2020.

Wodonga Saints have been exploring the possibility of moving out of Martin Park too Baranduda for sometime now and this would allow to find a new base. Hopefully build a community atmosphere something they haven't been able to do with Bulldogs and Raiders in their shadow.
Bullioh have currently some senior depth and if you take some of those stronger players to join with Wodonga Saints they would instantly become competitive in the TDFL.

The only issues which arise are the grounds and organisation in regards to fixtures. It seems like a common thread when talking about mergers and teams joining that logistics come into it. Football/ Netball clubs require a base in which the social side of playing can be created and this is just as important as playing each Saturday. For the clubs it would allow teams to play some home games at Bethanga and bring the community back to the football. Bullioh's ground i'am told would need some work in regards to surface and safety but this could happen if both clubs pool money together.

Bullioh seem committed in offering a future for players in both seniors and reserves and joining the TDFL in 2020 seems the logically way of offering it.

bidge

Debutant
Sep 7, 2007
Colonial Stadium
AFL Club
Geelong
I'd say look at joining a UMFL team for 2021. Submit to the first meeting of the TDFL for this season. Get the ball rolling Now!! If they again leave it too long it will fizzle out like this season.

Back