Opinion The Decade that was

Remove this Banner Ad

Just for fun and missery lets reflect on season 2010 to 2019.

Best Win: ________

Worst Loss: ________

Player of the Decade: ________

Biggest Disapointment: ________

Best AFL Moment: ________

Most Disapointing AFL Moment ________

Play of the Decade (Can be a team, transition, a Clarry handball or goal, anything) ________

Best non Melburne Player of the Decade __________

For me
Best Win: 2018 Elimination Final

Worst Loss: Round 2 Vs Essendon

Player of the Decade: Max Gawn

Biggest Disapointment: Missing Finals in 2017, honurable mentions to Clark leaving

Best AFL Moment: Western Bulldogs Premiership

Most Disapointing AFL Moment: The Supplements Saga

Play of the Decade: Nathon Jones Goal in the Elimination Final

Best non Melburne Player of the Decade: Luke Hodge

Best Win: First final against Geelong. Non final - Eagles win last year.

Worst Loss: 186

Player of the Decade: Jones

Biggest Disapointment: Rd 1, 2012 (Bombers), then the rest of 2012-13.

Best Melbourne Moment: Jack Watts goal against the pies.

Best AFL Moment: Gold Coasts draft concessions 2019 and Dogs breaking the drought.

Most Disapointing AFL Moment: Tie for Collingwood 2010 and Richmond 2017.

Play of the Decade (Can be a team, transition, a Clarry handball or goal, anything) Jack Watts goal against the pies.

Best non Melburne Player of the Decade: Ablett Jnr

Best Win: 2018 Rd 22 vs Eagles

Worst Loss: Essendon game 2013

Player of the Decade: Nathan Jones

Biggest Disappointment: R23 2017

Best AFL Moment: Essendon getting done for cheating

Most Disapointing AFL Moment: WCE winning last years flag

Play of the Decade (Can be a team, transition, a Clarry handball or goal, anything) Karmichael Hunt after the siren goal

Best non Melburne Player of the Decade : Dustin Martin

Just for fun and missery lets reflect on season 2010 to 2019.

Best Win: 2018 away v WC

Biggest piece of s**t: $cully

Best AFL Moment: Dogs flag

Most Disapointing AFL Moment
Essenscum on the dope

Play of the Decade (Can be a team, transition, a Clarry handball or goal, anything):

Best non Melburne Player of the Decade Dusty Dusty Dusty

Best Win: Oh he's done it Tom McDonald, you genius.

Worst Loss: Not sure which set us back further, 186 or the flogging in the Prelim last year.

Player of the Decade: Max.

Biggest Disappointment: What became of the 2009 draft. The only quality player was the one we got with our 5th selection ffs. Otherwise the outcome of the tanking fiasco.

Best AFL Moment: Dogs flag.

Most Disappointing AFL Moment: Players leaving the game for mental health reasons.

Play of the Decade (Can be a team, transition, a Clarry handball or goal, anything): Final minute of 2014 v. Essendon.

Best non Melbourne Player of the Decade: Fyfe.

Best Win: 2018 EF v Cats, 2017 R14 v Eagles, 2015 R12 v Cats, 2012 R10 v Bombers

Player of the Decade: Nathan Jones hands down, full stop, no ands buts ifs about it

Biggest Disappointment: 2017 R23, Jack Watts, Mark Neeld, 2013 (specifically the part when the winless Giants still ended up favourites against us)

Best AFL Moment: Freo 2013, Footscray 2016, GWS 2019

Most Disappointing AFL Moment: Meatloaf and the Goodes saga

Play of the Decade (Can be a team, transition, a Clarry handball or goal, anything) Eddie's Pocket

Best non Melbourne Player of the Decade: Unfortunately Patrick Dangerflog

The game vs Eagles in Perth the year before in 17 was way better than 18 back and forth belter with TMACs goal right at the end

Best Win: v Geelong at Kardinia, 2015 - Spencil @ FF.

Worst Loss: v Collingwood round 23, 2017

Biggest Disappointment: 2019

Best AFL Moment: Western Bulldogs 2016 flag

Most Disapointing AFL Moment: Hawthorn premierships in 2013, 2014 & 2015.

Play of the Decade (Can be a team, transition, a Clarry handball or goal, anything): Milshakes left foot bomb from 55m to steady the ship against Hawthorn in the 2018 Semi Final.

Best non Melbourne Player of the Decade: Dusty

Best Win: First final against Geelong. Non final - Eagles win last year.

Player of the Decade: Jones

Biggest Disapointment: Rd 1, 2012 (Bombers), then the rest of 2012-13.

Best Melbourne Moment: Jack Watts goal against the pies.

Best AFL Moment: Gold Coasts draft concessions 2019 and Dogs breaking the drought.

Most Disapointing AFL Moment: Tie for Collingwood 2010 and Richmond 2017.

Play of the Decade (Can be a team, transition, a Clarry handball or goal, anything) Jack Watts goal against the pies.

Best non Melburne Player of the Decade: Ablett Jnr

When Jack kicked that goal I cheered so hard I nearly fainted. Such a great moment.

Might have a few answers for each myself

Best Win:
  • Round 15 2010 vs. Essendon - Going by memory this was the first ever game I attended.
  • Round 13 2014 vs. Essendon - The game where Salem got the match winning goal is still one of the most memorable of the decade for me.
  • Round 5 2016 vs. Richmond - Our first time hosting the Anzac Day Eve game. Also when we broke the consecutive win hoodoo.
  • Round 8 2017 vs. Adelaide - My first ever interstate game & a win nonetheless.
  • Round 12 2017 vs. Collingwood - 4 point win, high scoring, kind of an upset. Thrilling game.
  • Round 14 2017 - Tom McDonald's scissor kick and breaking the WA hoodoo.
  • Round 2 2018 vs. Brisbane - My second interstate trip, and my first ever time going to Brisbane. 2 from 2 on interstate trips.
  • Round 20 2018 vs. Gold Coast - Biggest win I'd ever seen from us live (96 points).
  • Round 22 2018 vs. West Coast - The game that made us cement a spot in finals to break the hoodoo.
  • Elimination Final 2018 vs. Geelong - What a game! Probably one of the most exciting matches ever.
  • Semi Final 2018 vs. Hawthorn - Ditto to the previous game. Could actually start to taste a Grand Final being on the cards.
  • Round 4 2019 vs. Sydney - First ever interstate trip to Sydney and made it 3/3 for interstate games.
  • Round 8 2019 vs. Gold Coast - My streak lives on. Had never been to GC before either.
Worst Loss:
  • Round 19 2011 vs. Geelong - 186: Only saw coverage via AFL.com.au & am still baffled by the result to this day.
  • Round 2 2013 vs. Essendon - 148: Was in attendance with one eyed Essendon supporters, and never heard the end of it.
  • Round 23 2017 vs. Collingwood - The game that stopped us from our long awaited return to finals.
  • Preliminary Final 2018 vs. West Coast - The day we crashed back down to earth. Glad I didn't make the trek over.
  • Round 2 2019 vs. Geelong - Went to this with a mate. Left at 3 quarter time to drive to Ocean Grove cause we were getting thumped and starting to get hypothermia. Glad I checked Kardinia off the bucket list, can't see myself going back for some time yet.
  • Round 5 2019 vs. St. Kilda - The game where it kinda clicked re: the season we'd be in for.
Player of the Decade:
  • Nathan Jones - I think he takes it honestly. Yes he's in the final few years of his career, yes he's slowed down significantly. But this man is an absolute trooper and has stuck with us through it all. He had many opportunities to leave, and stayed with us time and time again. Let's try to get this man a flag while we still have him.
Honourable Mentions for Player of the Decade:
  • Tom McDonald - Stepped it up when Frawley did the dirty on us. Has proved most durable and versatile all over the ground. I think he would be a worthy shout for VC next year onwards.
  • Max Gawn - Should win his second Bluey tonight. His story is a great one. From a dart smoking McKinnon boy who almost didn't make it, to one of the biggest cult figures at the club & the AFL as a whole (not to mention arguably one of the best players in the whole league). This man WILL be our captain in 2020 and for the years to come.
  • Clayton Oliver - His efficiency this year aside, probably one of the best mids we've had for some time with unlimited potential. I look forward to seeing him continue to develop and grow as a player. I can see Brownlows in his future, once the umpires start seeing him for what he's truly worth.
  • Jeff Garlett - 111 goals in 3 seasons from 15' to 17'. We couldn't have gotten to where we were last year without your help Jeffrey. Thanks for your service & it was a privilege to watch you get all those ripper goals on the run. Excitement machine.
  • Nev Jetta - Similar to Max Gawn, he's got a ripper story. Almost #NEELDED, however Roosy gave him a second chance and he didn't take it lightly. Now he's up there as one of the most underrated players in the league. Let's hope he can get back to his best next season.
  • Jesse Hogan - Circumstances of him leaving and his off field issues aside, you can not deny the Jakovich style impact he had on the club. 152 goals in 4 years, similar to Jeffrey I thank you for the positive impact that you had on the club in such a short time and at such a young age. I still hope he goes onto being one of the best key forwards in the comp that we've seen in years. Has so much potential, just needs the right support structures and he'll smash it!
Biggest Disapointment: The bulk of the Bailey and Neeld eras, missing finals in 2017 and then the absolute shambles that was 2019. Throw in the majority of our drafting/recruitment and management of players (including medically... thanks Misson) for good value.

Best AFL Moment: 2010 AFL Grand Final Draw & Western Bulldogs breaking their premiership drought.

Most Disapointing AFL Moment: The Gold Coast Suns as a whole & the way in which the sport is headed under Fuhrer Gillon & Reich Minister Hocking (behavioural awareness officers and the ongoing soft, leftist rubbish where we aren't allowed to think a certain way, etc. not to mention again how they've dealt with the whole GC business). I do worry about where the game is headed in future, possibly society in general.

Play of the Decade: I think it again comes down to the Salem goal after the siren, breaking the various hoodoos, the McDonald scissor goal & the finals last year.

Best non-Melbourne Player of the Decade: Probably Ablett Jr. Honourable mentions to Fyfe, D. Martin, Hodge, Franklin, etc.

Surprised no mention for Hannan's goal vs Geelong. I mean, the goal itself was pretty great and would have been any week. But the timing of the goal, the fact it was in slow motion and he didn't * it up like MFC fans come to expect... what it meant, and the accompanying roar that went with it (I wasn't there - but it sounded insane even on telly). Great moment.

Surprised no mention for Hannan's goal vs Geelong. I mean, the goal itself was pretty great and would have been any week. But the timing of the goal, the fact it was in slow motion and he didn't fu** it up like MFC fans come to expect... what it meant, and the accompanying roar that went with it (I wasn't there - but it sounded insane even on telly). Great moment.
Insanely good moment. I’ll also give a shout out to Melksham’s goal in the 4th from 50 off his wrong side the following week. I shared a hi-5 moment with three nearby randoms before I accidentally hit some woman in the head.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't remember anything. How do you people manage to track and recall all these details?

Best Win:
  • Round 15 2010 vs. Essendon - Going by memory this was the first ever game I attended.
  • Round 13 2014 vs. Essendon - The game where Salem got the match winning goal is still one of the most memorable of the decade for me.
  • Round 5 2016 vs. Richmond - Our first time hosting the Anzac Day Eve game. Also when we broke the consecutive win hoodoo.
  • Round 8 2017 vs. Adelaide - My first ever interstate game & a win nonetheless.
  • Round 12 2017 vs. Collingwood - 4 point win, high scoring, kind of an upset. Thrilling game.
  • Round 2 2018 vs. Brisbane - My second interstate trip, and my first ever time going to Brisbane. 2 from 2 on interstate trips.
  • Round 20 2018 vs. Gold Coast - Biggest win I'd ever seen from us live (96 points).
  • Round 22 2018 vs. West Coast - The game that made us cement a spot in finals to break the hoodoo.
  • Elimination Final 2018 vs. Geelong - What a game! Probably one of the most exciting matches ever.
  • Semi Final 2018 vs. Hawthorn - Ditto to the previous game. Could actually start to taste a Grand Final being on the cards.
  • Round 4 2019 vs. Sydney - First ever interstate trip to Sydney and made it 3/3 for interstate games.
  • Round 8 2019 vs. Gold Coast - My streak lives on. Had never been to GC before either.

That is amazing. He asked for the best win of the last decade and you listed all of them!

I can't remember anything. How do you people manage to track and recall all these details?

That is amazing. He asked for the best win of the last decade and you listed all of them!

Haha I have a crazy memory when it comes to this stuff. It's sometimes that intense that I can recall even non-Dees games that happened while I was at someone's 50th, wedding or 21st and stuff.

Where does this decade rate amongst all other Melbourne FC decades? Tragically I don't think it's even the worst of them. I think I'd have it second last behind the 1970s, at least we played finals once in the 2010s (and somehow managed to avoid a wooden spoon).

Might have a few answers for each myself

Best Win:
Worst Loss:
  • Round 19 2011 vs. Geelong - 186: Only saw coverage via AFL.com.au & am still baffled by the result to this day.
  • Round 2 2013 vs. Essendon - 148: Was in attendance with one eyed Essendon supporters, and never heard the end of it.
  • Round 23 2017 vs. Collingwood - The game that stopped us from our long awaited return to finals.
  • Preliminary Final 2018 vs. West Coast - The day we crashed back down to earth. Glad I didn't make the trek over.
  • Round 2 2019 vs. Geelong - Went to this with a mate. Left at 3 quarter time to drive to Ocean Grove cause we were getting thumped and starting to get hypothermia. Glad I checked Kardinia off the bucket list, can't see myself going back for some time yet.
  • Round 5 2019 vs. St. Kilda - The game where it kinda clicked re: the season we'd be in for.
Player of the Decade:
  • Nathan Jones - I think he takes it honestly. Yes he's in the final few years of his career, yes he's slowed down significantly. But this man is an absolute trooper and has stuck with us through it all. He had many opportunities to leave, and stayed with us time and time again. Let's try to get this man a flag while we still have him.
Honourable Mentions for Player of the Decade:
  • Tom McDonald - Stepped it up when Frawley did the dirty on us. Has proved most durable and versatile all over the ground. I think he would be a worthy shout for VC next year onwards.
  • Max Gawn - Should win his second Bluey tonight. His story is a great one. From a dart smoking McKinnon boy who almost didn't make it, to one of the biggest cult figures at the club & the AFL as a whole (not to mention arguably one of the best players in the whole league). This man WILL be our captain in 2020 and for the years to come.
  • Clayton Oliver - His efficiency this year aside, probably one of the best mids we've had for some time with unlimited potential. I look forward to seeing him continue to develop and grow as a player. I can see Brownlows in his future, once the umpires start seeing him for what he's truly worth.
  • Jeff Garlett - 111 goals in 3 seasons from 15' to 17'. We couldn't have gotten to where we were last year without your help Jeffrey. Thanks for your service & it was a privilege to watch you get all those ripper goals on the run. Excitement machine.
  • Nev Jetta - Similar to Max Gawn, he's got a ripper story. Almost #NEELDED, however Roosy gave him a second chance and he didn't take it lightly. Now he's up there as one of the most underrated players in the league. Let's hope he can get back to his best next season.
  • Jesse Hogan - Circumstances of him leaving and his off field issues aside, you can not deny the Jakovich style impact he had on the club. 152 goals in 4 years, similar to Jeffrey I thank you for the positive impact that you had on the club in such a short time and at such a young age. I still hope he goes onto being one of the best key forwards in the comp that we've seen in years. Has so much potential, just needs the right support structures and he'll smash it!
Biggest Disapointment: The bulk of the Bailey and Neeld eras, missing finals in 2017 and then the absolute shambles that was 2019. Throw in the majority of our drafting/recruitment and management of players (including medically... thanks Misson) for good value.

Best AFL Moment: 2010 AFL Grand Final Draw & Western Bulldogs breaking their premiership drought.

Most Disapointing AFL Moment: The Gold Coast Suns as a whole & the way in which the sport is headed under Fuhrer Gillon & Reich Minister Hocking (behavioural awareness officers and the ongoing soft, leftist rubbish where we aren't allowed to think a certain way, etc. not to mention again how they've dealt with the whole GC business). I do worry about where the game is headed in future, possibly society in general.

Play of the Decade: I think it again comes down to the Salem goal after the siren, breaking the various hoodoos, the McDonald scissor goal & the finals last year.

Best non-Melbourne Player of the Decade: Probably Ablett Jr. Honourable mentions to Fyfe, D. Martin, Hodge, Franklin, etc.
* that's depressing that Hogan Garlett and Tmac are nominated for players of the decade when they haven't even been good for 50% of the decade. My god we suck lizard nuts

fu** that's depressing that Hogan Garlett and Tmac are nominated for players of the decade when they haven't even been good for 50% of the decade. My god we suck lizard nuts
Does lizard nuts mean one Lizard with at least two nuts, or multiple lizards with at least a single nut each

We really really do reek though. It used to feel like grandiose failure, but that’s worn off now. We’re terrible

Does lizard nuts mean one Lizard with at least two nuts, or multiple lizards with at least a single nut each

We really really do reek though. It used to feel like grandiose failure, but that’s worn off now. We’re terrible
Lizards plural with a single plumb

May as well add Brad Green and Aaron Davey to our players of the decade. Maybe some Matt Jones

Best Win: 2018 SF v Hawks (just sneaks past the EF as I was at the SF).

Worst Loss: In terms of my biggest tantrum, Geelong after the siren last year, or Collingwood 2010 when Petterd dropped it in the square. The thrashings just left me numb, or laughing, generally.

Player of the Decade: Nathan Jones.

Biggest Disappointment: Mark Neeld. Although maybe that was just me having too much faith in his 'hardest team to play' bluster.

Best AFL Moment: Gold Coast/GWS respective first wins. The comeback vs Port was special by the Suns and I was at the Giant's first win. Gave me some interest outside of Melbourne spudding it up in '11/'12

Most Disappointing AFL Moment: The supplements scandal. s**t by all involved.

Play of the Decade (Can be a team, transition, a Clarry handball or goal, anything): The Miracle on Grass. Shaw's smother on Riedwoldt in the 2010 replay a close second.

Best non Melbourne Player of the Decade: Dustin Martin

Lizards plural with a single plumb

May as well add Brad Green and Aaron Davey to our players of the decade. Maybe some Matt Jones
Would honestly consider a prime Matt Jones in place of some of our spuds at present.

Also, got in conversation with some random on a plane to Brisbane (or returning, I forget) a few weeks back. He saw a Demons sticker on my phone - the last identification I haven’t scraped or burnt off this year. He started telling me about the regional club something he is a part of, and how great M Jones has been. I’m a flog and make s**t up, so of course I join in with stuff about him being a dead set asset and my favourite player of all time etc.

I don’t know why I tend to do this stuff. I’m not after a date, so god knows why I go along with any old lie. Upshot is, though, this conversation plus our 2019 sees me looking at Matt Jones in an entirely different light.

I don’t know why I tend to do this stuff. I’m not after a date, so god knows why I go along with any old lie. Upshot is, though, this conversation plus our 2019 sees me looking at Matt Jones in an entirely different light.

Pathological liar. You should be in politics.

Would honestly consider a prime Matt Jones in place of some of our spuds at present.

Also, got in conversation with some random on a plane to Brisbane (or returning, I forget) a few weeks back. He saw a Demons sticker on my phone - the last identification I haven’t scraped or burnt off this year. He started telling me about the regional club something he is a part of, and how great M Jones has been. I’m a flog and make s**t up, so of course I join in with stuff about him being a dead set asset and my favourite player of all time etc.

Deadset I reckon he would be in our best 22 right now as a winger.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back