News Scott Selwood delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
Geelong has informed Scott Selwood he will not be offered a playing contract for season 2020, which will see him depart GMHBA Stadium.

After an eight-year career and 135 games with the West Coast Eagles, Selwood arrived at Geelong during the trade period of 2015.

An outstanding clubman over his time at the Cats, Selwood played 34 games over four seasons in the blue and white hoops.

Geelong’s General Manager of Football Simon Lloyd thanked Selwood for his service.

“Scott has been a much-loved member of the club over his four years here. The way in which he has conducted himself on and off the field, has earned him great respect from his teammates and coaches.

“Scott is always welcome at the club, and we wish him well in his future endeavours. We hope to see a new opportunity come his way in football as he has a lot to offer.

I wonder what Joel thinks about it. I imagine he was a big reason why Scott came over in the first place. Would he be angry? Sad? Understanding?

I wonder what Joel thinks about it. I imagine he was a big reason why Scott came over in the first place. Would he be angry? Sad? Understanding?
He'd certainly have no problem with the club at all. We gave Scoot a few years on decent coin when he was never a realistic chance of doing much. Can't do much more than that.
He might be sad to see him go but would be preety stoked with the club I'd say.

I'm quite sure that both Joel & Scooter would be understanding of the decision that was made, and that while both would have loved to play as teammates on more occasions, they'd realise things weren't meant to be.

Was worth the roll of the dice IMO, didn't work.. Now glad we cut the cord so they can't be tempted to play him.

Would really like to see him play and captain the VFL side... From a leadership and development side of things i think he'd be really good with the kids.

Couldn't blame him for fleecing a pension out of the Suns if they were silly enough to give it to him, the did give Murdoch 3 years after all

Was worth the roll of the dice IMO, didn't work.. Now glad we cut the cord so they can't be tempted to play him.

Would really like to see him play and captain the VFL side... From a leadership and development side of things i think he'd be really good with the kids.

Couldn't blame him for fleecing a pension out of the Suns if they were silly enough to give it to him, the did give Murdoch 3 years after all
Doubt he could be arsed but the GC could benefit a lot from just having him as the captain of the NEAFL team IMO.
Show the young kids how to train etc.
But I don't think they could pay him near enough to get him up there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happy if he gets picked up by GC but not sure it will be as a player. A training coach and off field mentor would be more suitable. Also a spy for subterfuge to get the next exodus of GC talent down the highway (a long way down the highway).

Happy if he gets picked up by GC but not sure it will be as a player. A training coach and off field mentor would be more suitable. Also a spy for subterfuge to get the next exodus of GC talent down the highway (a long way down the highway).

Scooter and Smith to the Suns for the number 1 pick? Sounds reasonable. ;)

Trade Radio said he's had an offer, which I assumed was the GCS. I laughed at the Cat's tweet about his delisting. Our footy head said the club will miss Scooter a lot and he hopes he gets another opportunity because he has a lot offer. I thought when I read this, 'A lot to offer? Then why are you sacking him?"

He was worth a punt as a free agent. Didn't work out but not for lack of trying on his part. Can't say he held anything back. Exactly the kind of guy the suns would want to set standards as a playing coach. Former vice captain of a decent side, knows what good looks like for discipline and leadership.

Wish him all the best

Trade Radio said he's had an offer, which I assumed was the GCS. I laughed at the Cat's tweet about his delisting. Our footy head said the club will miss Scooter a lot and he hopes he gets another opportunity because he has a lot offer. I thought when I read this, 'A lot to offer? Then why are you sacking him?"
The actual quote was:

“Scott is always welcome at the club, and we wish him well in his future endeavours. We hope to see a new opportunity come his way in football as he has a lot to offer.”

Implying a non-playing role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back