Coach Is Hardwick now the second best coach in the league behind Clarkson?

Remove this Banner Ad

That's not the question though, the question is who is the better coach.

Hardwick is still the only coach ever to be eliminated from finals by the 9th placed team. I'm not holding his woeful record against Brad Scott against him either.
Yes and I think Hardwick has achieved more given a far more limited list (until this year, now the list is finally balanced after years of draft compromisation made that difficult) and coming from way further back- nobody called Hawthorn 2001-2004 'worse than fitzroy'

I think 3 events put Hardwick in rare air:
-turning around 3-10 W-L to make finals in '14
-turning around 13th in 2016 to Flag in '17
-turning around 6-7 W-L to win the flag in '19

This guy can motivate young men in a way I've not seen (but I wasn't around for the likes of Hafey)

Mason Cox probably cost them a 3peat.

He's clearly second. Most coaches don't have a say in what talent is brought in, however have a direct hand in players who get the most out of themselves. Due to influence on your coaching staff. Who knows if Martin/Riewoldt/Rance/Grimes become the players they are if they have a different coach?

The trend is a better descriptor to pump up Dimmas tyres, this time last year Simmo was reigning premier with 2 x GFs to his name, Dimma has nudged ahead with 2 flags.
Dont remember even the silliest Eagles fan* suggesting Simmo anything but a Clarko apprentice.

* there is a tread suggesting the Eagles 2018 side was its best ever, mainly kids who never experienced an Eagles flag - every bit as silly as comparing Simmo with Malthouse/Dimma with Clarko
If you look at the OP though, I made that distinction of not comparing Dimma with Clarko, I've called Clarko number 1 to avoid that comparison as I think it's fair to say Clarko is number 1 right now without too much argument. The thread title also is pretty clear this is not trying to say Dimma is better than Clarkson. That could change in 5 years, but not yet. My argument is he is the best of the rest, based on flags in addition to the trend and context of where Tigers came from before him.

Simpson is in the conversation. I'd add Fagan too. No premierships yet, but when you consider what he inherited and how he's improved the team, it's pretty impressive. Certainly started from a lower base than Hardwick.

That’s very debatable

No he is NOT. Hardwick is the Best coach in the AFL and Clarkson currently ranks even behind Chris Scott...probably 4th or 5th best.

2 flags, superior winning percentage with missing the finals once, no decent draft picks to build a team, that would put him well above Hardwick and second to Clarkson.
The main sticking point is that he hasn’t won a second flag, and the only one he has to his name is from a team he didn’t build (but should still get credit for snagging another when people thought Geelong were going to struggle when Thompson and Ablett left).

It doesn’t look like he’ll win a second one soon at this stage before he has to do a proper rebuild.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The main sticking point is that he hasn’t won a second flag, and the only one he has to his name is from a team he didn’t build (but should still get credit for snagging another when people thought Geelong were going to struggle when Thompson and Ablett left).

It doesn’t look like he’ll win a second one soon at this stage before he has to do a proper rebuild.
I can't see him doing a proper rebuild. I think with FA and the gems found in the 2nd tier leagues, you will have teams like Sydney and Hawthorn dropping off for a season or two and then back into contention. I think the days of dropping to the bottom for 5 or 6 years are long gone.

Now I'm not silly enough to compare any Eagles coach with Clarko, but another of his proteges has a 65% win record over 118 games & 2 x GFs to his name, one flag, ie Adam Simpson.
Dimma has 2 flags from 2 x GFs out of 231 games & a winning record of 55%.

No argument 2 flags make Dimma no.2, but he's not a shadow of Clarko today. Simmo is the one breathing down Dimmas neck with Scotty also in the photo.
My bad leaving Simmo out. Very much in the frame. With all due respect to GWS's achievments, Eagles should have been the one there with us in the GF.
Actually Bevo and Cameron from the Clarko academy are also in the mix so I may have posted in haste a bit.

My bad leaving Simmo out. Very much in the frame. With all due respect to GWS's achievments, Eagles should have been the one there with us in the GF.
Actually Bevo and Cameron from the Clarko academy are also in the mix so I may have posted in haste a bit.
IMO WC were the second best side in the comp, but the players just weren't putting in the effort consistently.

I look at Richmonds winning run. I think the only team withing that streak of the H&A to get within 4-5 goals was WC, who had it stayed a bit drier, should have won. Both sides played spectacular high intensity footy on the day.

But WC dropped games they should have won, like the Collingwood match. Which meant instead of being in a position to make the GF, they had to go the long route. Hopefully, they can follow Richmond's path and bounce back.

IMO WC were the second best side in the comp, but the players just weren't putting in the effort consistently.

I look at Richmonds winning run. I think the only team withing that streak of the H&A to get within 4-5 goals was WC, who had it stayed a bit drier, should have won. Both sides played spectacular high intensity footy on the day.

But WC dropped games they should have won, like the Collingwood match. Which meant instead of being in a position to make the GF, they had to go the long route. Hopefully, they can follow Richmond's path and bounce back.
Yeah rd 22 seemed to be the prelude to the big dance. Was a brilliant game of momentum swings. Given our post premiership failure in the 2018 prelim., followed by redemption 2019, you can go into 2020 with confidence assuming lessons have been learnt from 2019.

Yeah rd 22 seemed to be the prelude to the big dance. Was a brilliant game of momentum swings. Given our post premiership failure in the 2018 prelim., followed by redemption 2019, you can go into 2020 with confidence assuming lessons have been learnt from 2019.
It's WC own fault I guess. Would have been a great GF.

Richmond the deserved winners. Finished the season strong, stood up in finals, dominated on GF day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back