Have we ever seen an exodus like what is taking place at Adelaide right now?

Remove this Banner Ad

They do have a problem with player retention which is on the off field staff - but that is seperate to this year's exodus which is what they need to do with that list.

Yeah I know. That's why I'm sort of looking at it as a period - post GF 'til now. More overarching and takes into account the culmination of factors that have led to all these players retiring/leaving/being traded in such a short time-frame. Looking at this year in isolation, without the camp and GF fallout, I don't think it would seem anywhere near as bad.

Yeah I know. That's why I'm sort of looking at it as a period - post GF 'til now. More overarching and takes into account the culmination of factors that have led to all these players retiring/leaving/being traded in such a short time-frame. Looking at this year in isolation, without the camp and GF fallout, I don't think it would seem anywhere near as bad.

Agree they only had 1 bad game in 2017, unfortunately it was in the GF
But the next year was a let down for sure

Yeah fair enough, one thing they do have going for them is they are pretty good at drafting and developing talent, they should have a couple of good hauls at the draft to come in the next year or so.

Yeah fair enough, one thing they do have going for them is they are pretty good at drafting and developing talent, they should have a couple of good hauls at the draft to come in the next year or so.

100%. Chayce Jones looks amazing, and Fogarty, Himmelberg, Doedee, O'Brien and Milera are a good base of future elite talent. Might take them a few years, but hopefully their board management and cultural practices change in that time frame so these players stick around.

As much as I like to laugh at Young Reid's mess, this is a good step. Get a bunch of good picks concentrated in a 2-3 year window and build around that core.

Have to give up something to get something. The main criticism should be why didnt they start their rebuild last offseason? Theyve put themselves back a year by sticking with the oldies.
I don't think we can blame underperforming 30+ year old players on Reid. I would blame our coaches for misreading the state of the list. It wasn't Reid's decision to keep playing cooked players. We had young guys performing well in the SANFL. There is some decent talent in our reserves but our coaches just refused to back them in.

I would have sacked Pyke on his selection policies in 2019 alone without even considering the other issues. I still think he's a good coach but I honestly can't make sense of some of his decisions this year. We got smashed by Essendon because we were too damn slow and old and our coaches responded by picking an even older and slower team in the next round with predictable results. Our selection committee also played Jacobs instead of O'Brien in a dead rubber against the Bulldogs at the end of the season. That is objectively poor decision making from our coaches and completely inexcusable. Those are just two examples off the top of my head, there are plenty more.

Live in denial . The truth is the truth . Just check the comments from your own BF club board . Pathetic .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Sometimes you need to reboot.
Start again from the top down- new coach, new captain, new ceo, even a new boot studder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh of course , I mean there was such a bright future ahead for Betts Jenkins Greenwood Jacobs Knight Keath Ellis-Yoelmen
FFS eat your coco pops and STFU you flogs

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

Crows have been quick re-builders in the past but this one needs to take time to get it right.
If they can aim to contend again in 2027 will be 30 years since their inaugural flag. Time flies.

In 2015 Carlton lost Henderson, Yarran, Bell, Menzel (recent first round pick) and had Judd, Carazzo, Ellard, Warnock and Watson retire. That came after 2014 where we lost Waite, Robinson, Garlett, Scotland, Lucas, Bootsma and McLean, and 2013 where we lost Betts, Laidler and Hampson

That Malthouse inflicted apocalypse was therefore a 3 year stretch where we had 11 players leave to other clubs, 6 long-term players retire somewhat early, and 5 first round draft picks (and 3 other second rounders who I didn’t mention) all end up retiring before age 23 (were they all just duds? There’s a fair nature vs nurture argument there...)

It did not end well - 4 years later and we haven’t really recovered.

The other exodus that springs to mind is Brisbane’s ‘go-home 5’ - Docherty, Yeo, Polec, Longer, Karnezis

Adelaide have a lot this year - it’s like they got a year of grace after making the GF where players were unhappy and stayed, then it has all bubbled over. That’s both ways - both the club hanging onto a few guys too long and the players walking.

As someone else mentioned, though, they’ve done a solid job of bringing in young talent given they were in a Gf not long ago - Lever, McGovern departures and some shrewd moves have helped with that. I don’t think the apocalypse is Carlton in 2015 bad... but to have all this, no coach, etc... it’s probably a tough year or two ahead

It’s just time for a clean out - the 2017 team has done its dash and they need to make some tough calls about how they are going to look over the next couple of years.

They aren’t looking like turning over anyone of particular note this year (in terms of 2019 output).

What actually hurt them more was being unable to retain guys like Cameron, Lever and to a lesser extent McGovern - and I guess going back a bit further even Davis and Gunston (a stretch I realise). Key players either in their prime or just at the tail of it (Davis) that could still be playing good footy for the Crows.

They will bounce back though - they are a good club with high standards - as it as been for 20 odd years though, it’s bouncing back high enough that gets the Crows - over due for another cup now.

Last time they had a big clean out, they won two flags with a coach whod lost three straight grand finals before that (ross anyone)

Btw the crows most successful export is jack gunston, and most succesful import is darren jarman

Remove this Banner Ad

Back