Review 2019 AFL National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

The concept of trading out of the 2020 R1 has been discussed. Add in this concept and we could go in with 4-5 top 30 picks.
  • North 2019 pick 8 -> WC
  • WC 2019 picks 14, 24 -> North
  • North 2020 R1 -> Bris
  • Bris 2019 picks 16, 21 -> North

North Melbourne 2019 selections: 14, 16, 21, 24, 27

I acknowledge the Brisbane trade would be very high risk so only works under the assumption the club think the cost-reward of 2x shots at talent between 16-21 in 2019 exceeds the same factors for 1x shot at 1-18 in 2020.

Fwiw on a similar path I’d also look at:
  • North 2020 R2 -> Crows
  • Crows 2019 picks 23, 28 -> North
Though with crows attrition they're probably aiming to utilise every last bloody pick they're holding this year.

2020 R1 + 25 + 43 > GWS > 11+18

Points for Green etc without wasting two R1 picks.

The other options are totally unpalatable as are effectively giving our competition better access to top end talent which is taking us further from where we need to be.

2020 R1 + 25 + 43 > GWS > 11+18

Points for Green etc without wasting two R1 picks.

The other options are totally unpalatable as are effectively giving our competition better access to top end talent which is taking us further from where we need to be.

That's fair. I'm not wedded to any of the suggestions but we might have a perfect storm of a deeper draft offering later talent and our lowly status potentially overvaluing our future picks.

If it comes together we might get an exaggerated return for putting our 2020 resources on the table. Of course it could be like shorting too.. and we finish bottom of the ladder next year and royally screw ourselves.

There's a risk with any proposition.

That's fair. I'm not wedded to any of the suggestions but we might have a perfect storm of a deeper draft offering later talent and our lowly status potentially overvaluing our future picks.

If it comes together we might get an exaggerated return for putting our 2020 resources on the table. Of course it could be like shorting too.. and we finish bottom of the ladder next year and royally screw ourselves.

There's a risk with any proposition.

8: Ash/Stephens
11: Jackson
18: Gould or another 2-Way mid.

Our '2020 Draft' will consist of the Scott, Taylor, Crocker etc who have been given time to develop - precisely what happened this year with Larkey and Zurhaar.

If we want picks in 20-40 range this year in addition to the 'GWS Deal' then trade out Wood, Dumont, Jmac, Atley types most of whom we wouldn't miss.

And * helping West Coast help Geelong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who is Partington, GR? West Coast mid?

Got anything on him info wise?
Hard-working midfielder with good speed and excellent endurance, toiled away at East Perth but never broke into the AFL side in 2018. Composed player who uses the ball well by hand and by foot.

Last edited:

Also read that he is quite quick.

Strengths:
-Gut Runner
-Speed
-Disposal Winner at secondary level
-Can be a goal-kicking mid.
-Can get contest-to-contest

I'm sure he has a few weaknesses, but I like what I have read of him in the last 15 minutes.

Not sure where he'll go in the draft, but I'm sure Brady is keen on him.

Also read that he is quite quick.

Strengths:
-Gut Runner
-Speed
-Disposal Winner at secondary level
-Can be a goal-kicking mid.
-Can get contest-to-contest

I'm sure he has a few weaknesses, but I like what I have read of him in the last 15 minutes.

Not sure where he'll go in the draft, but I'm sure Brady is keen on him.

Something that caught my eye in his draft vids back whenever that was, was that he had slightly odd proportions.

Quite short arms which suggested short reach for height, weak mark etc.

Interesting that none of his strengths relate to marking or inside work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back