AFL 2020 Fixture Wishlist

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, the first half will come true...Like all teams, you WILL get 11 home games.

The second part....Sure...but you have to pay compensation to the AFL for the money they lose (AFL members, MCG deal, etc) from the lower crowds you'll get from playing WCE & GWS at the G...In addition to the lower revenue your club will get from those games.
AFL don’t earn revenue in season unlike finals (except for a couple of dining packages here or there in the members).

Geelong make $1m per home game in front of 5,000 people or 35,000 people as all seats are pre-sold to members. MCG games make $1m on GF day, but not when we get ~50,000 people as we saw against Richmond, Hawks, Dons and Pies the last couple of years. Lucky to break even at the G with a crowd of 50,000 at the G.

Geelong to play 11 home games.

Richmond, Hawks, Pies, Dons and Carlton to play at KP

I get the whole corporate thing for home games. I get that there's probably even some sort of winning edge the Cats might have on their uniquely-shaped footy ground. And I get that it's possibly more convenient for GFC members - at least not the Melbourne-based ones or those in the northern, eastern parts of Victoria, or from interstate - to be able to catch the local bus (or just avoid the Princes Hwy) to the match on a Saturday or Sunday.

But what I don't get is why Cats supporters constantly go down this line of wanting to avoid playing H&A games on the footy ground that the Grand Final is scheduled on for the next 35+ years? If the AFL suddenly decided to build a new 120k stadium at Marvel to host all Victorian finals, including the Grand Final, for the next 40 years, I'd be climbing over every other team to play our home games up there. We'd probably take a bit of a hit from a premiership points POV, but we'd be far better equipped to deal with the conditions when the finals rolled around.

But what I don't get is why Cats supporters constantly go down this line of wanting to avoid playing H&A games on the footy ground that the Grand Final is scheduled on for the next 35+ years?
Richmond don't want to play at Docklands because the MCG is their home ground
Geelong don't want to play at the MCG because KP is their home ground

That's the logic. As an away side, we'd still play 2-3 games at the MCG, which is enough. WCE won the flag in 2018. Bulldogs in 16, Swans in 12.

The most overdue match up is Collingwood vs Sydney in Melbourne.

Hasn’t happened since 2013.
No the most overdue match up is Collingwood vs Geelong at cat park , hasn’t happened since 1999

I'd like to get double up games against Collingwood, West Coast, Brisbane, Adelaide and Carlton.
I'd like most of our games to be on Saturday afternoons.
I'd like to see us play against one of Hawthorn/North Melbourne down in Tasmania and Geelong at GMHBA.
NO HOME GAMES AT ETIHAD STADIUM. That is not our home ground.

Outside of Richmond, I'd like to see both the Derby on TV for once. They always seem to have it on Sunday twilight for some reason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond don't want to play at Docklands because the MCG is their home ground
Geelong don't want to play at the MCG because KP is their home ground

That's the logic. As an away side, we'd still play 2-3 games at the MCG, which is enough. WCE won the flag in 2018. Bulldogs in 16, Swans in 12.

No, we don't want to play at Docklands because:
1. they don't fixture finals there, and
2. it doesn't fit all of our supporters.

Keep playing your 2-3 games at the MCG each season, and keep getting beaten there when it counts.

No, we don't want to play at Docklands because:
1. they don't fixture finals there, and
2. it doesn't fit all of our supporters.

Keep playing your 2-3 games at the MCG each season, and keep getting beaten there when it counts.
Nice rebuttal. Except:
1. They have played finals at Docklands and KP in this decade and
2. When was the last time a Docklands game featuring the Tigers sold out?

Nice rebuttal. Except:
1. They have played finals at Docklands and KP in this decade and
2. When was the last time a Docklands game featuring the Tigers sold out?

1. Carlton have played finals this decade. A decade's a long time in footy.
2. Only get to play home fixtures there against non-Vic clubs. Which not only excludes privileges for the many MCC Tiger supporters but also negates one of the few occasions each season we get a real home advantage (which happened only 5 times in 2019, including vs Geelong)

Hawks to actually have a profitable fixture early in the season (avoid having 7 games on a Sunday to start the season)

Home game v essendon

A home game to start and end the season to make up for the away double we copped this yr

I want away games at Brisbane and then at Gold Coast in consecutive weeks so I can make a holiday of it.

Preferably in early July-- the middle of the Victorian school holidays. Would be a perfect 'holiday'.

What part of "Richmond actually got the maximum possible" didn't make sense?

But they didn't.

For example, in 2015, Hawks got 4 of the top 7 (including 3 of the top 5) and 13th. [This included top of the ladder, and also the flag runner up, and 2 x interstate teams in top 5]

Richmond have never ever got 4 of the top 8, or even 5 of the top 13.

Last year Hawks didn't make the preliminary final, and we got WC x 2, Geelong x 2, GWS x 2, North x 2, Bris x 2. I would have loved to have had your fixture, and you had won the flag in 2017 and finished on top in 2018 (top 3 after the finals). The biggest joke is that you got Gold Coast!!

The flag winner, and/or top of the table, should get 4 from the top 8, or something close to that.

That is the convention that hasn't been applied to the Tigers.

Last edited:
But they didn't.

For example, in 2015, Hawks got 4 of the top 7 (including 3 of the top 5) and 13th. [This included top of the ladder, and also the flag runner up, and 2 x interstate teams in top 5]

Richmond have never ever got 4 of the top 8, or even 5 of the top 13.

Last year Hawks didn't make the preliminary final, and we got WC x 2, Geelong x 2, GWS x 2, North x 2, Bris x 2. I would have loved to have had your fixture, and you had won the flag in 2017 and finished on top in 2018 (top 3 after the finals). The biggest joke is that you got Gold Coast!!

The flag winner, and/or top of the table, should get 4 from the top 8, or something close to that.

That is the convention that hasn't been applied to the Tigers.
That is not an actual convention, it’s something you made up.

Under the actual rules, we got the maximum number of games against 2018 top 6 teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back