Travel EUROPE: Travel Tips & Tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Unless you are going to Salzburg for a particular reason 3 days seems excessive. It's kind of halfway between Vienna and Prague. I went to Salzburg as a stopover on the train between Vienna and Prague. Only really needed one day.

I was in Croatia in April. Split is ok but nowhere near as good as Dubrovnik. There are also a couple of national parks in Croatia, Plitvice and Krka, that I highly recommend.
So did you see all the great villages to the east of salzburg or the nearby mountains just across the border in germany or the snow to the south within that one day on top of visitng the town? Train people should not be giving advice on how long to stay in towns as they have no idea about whether there are interestng things to do or see nearby. Salzburg is a 5 day minimum destination.

Kummerspeck

Cancelled
Pokemon is Life
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
Scandinavia next year, looking at Copenhagen, Stockholm, Oslo, Tromso, Helsinki, Gothernburg. Probably surrounding day trips too. Any other recommendations?
Ystad, specifically to stay at Villa Strandvägen. It's a part of the Ystad Havsbadet, so you get access to their (very good) spa facilities, but its a much smaller and calmer place. Stay two nights with dinner and you'll be very happy both nights.

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United, Juventus,
So did you see all the great villages to the east of salzburg or the nearby mountains just across the border in germany or the snow to the south within that one day on top of visitng the town? Train people should not be giving advice on how long to stay in towns as they have no idea about whether there are interestng things to do or see nearby. Salzburg is a 5 day minimum destination.
Yeah Salzburg has a stack of beautiful places on its doorstep. Hallstatt and Wolfgansee to the East for example and the area around Berchtesgaden and the Konigssee is simply stunning. The Eagles Nest is a pretty cool day trip if that interests you. That’s the main reason I try to drive everywhere in Europe, great just to have the freedom to head out on a day trip and just pull over at one of the many lakes or villages and go for a wander

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns

Which is why I said "unless you are going for a particular reason". If you are going just to see Salzburg itself one or two days is enough. And I did see a few villages around Salzburg plus Lake Halstatt in my short time there.

Last edited:

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Whats great about St P ?
70274523_2667833733250579_1115828973037682688_n.jpg

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
I’m leaving this Sunday night. I’m so excited. I’m flying into Amsterdam where I’ll spend about a week living with a family friend of mine, then I’ll be going to Germany, to Hamburg as per wadistance recommendation. Not sure what I want to do but it does sound amazing and it doesn’t really matter what I do, do you have any specific suggestions of what might be worth it for about a week.

After that I want to go to Berlin, I studied history in year 12 and we did a lot of focus on Berlin and the Wars as you do, and I also love dancing to techno music so I’d love to check some of the clubs out. That will probably be late October.

After that I’ve been suggested Budapest and Prague by a friend who’s travelling through Europe right now, and I’m meeting another friend in late November in Bologna who is studying abroad for 6 months.

I’m going to be taking it pretty easily though other than where I’ve agreed to meet people. I’ve got a flight out of Paris to London on the 18th of December to prove I’m leaving the Shcengen area before 90 days, and I want to spend New Year’s in Edinburgh for their hog ma nae I think it’s called, or pronounced like that at least. I’m meeting a friend there as well.

I fly again out of Amsterdam on the 19th of January and so those 2 weeks I’ll spend in the UK, it doesn’t matter where really but I’ve been suggested Bristol.

Want to say thanks to everyone for their help, making me realise I don’t really need to book anything or worrying about missing out on place, to travel within my means and so on. I appreciate it. I probably won’t spend any time on Bigfooty while I’m there, except maybe to read about who Freo pick up in the trade period, but I’ll try to remember to tell some stories when I get back.

Cheers

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory and Arsenal
I’m leaving this Sunday night. I’m so excited.

Looks like you've got a pretty good schedule mate, you'll have a blast. Make sure you've got decent travel insurance just on the off chance something goes amiss but other than that you're all set!

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
I’m leaving this Sunday night. I’m so excited. I’m flying into Amsterdam where I’ll spend about a week living with a family friend of mine, then I’ll be going to Germany, to Hamburg as per wadistance recommendation. Not sure what I want to do but it does sound amazing and it doesn’t really matter what I do, do you have any specific suggestions of what might be worth it for about a week.

After that I want to go to Berlin, I studied history in year 12 and we did a lot of focus on Berlin and the Wars as you do, and I also love dancing to techno music so I’d love to check some of the clubs out. That will probably be late October.

After that I’ve been suggested Budapest and Prague by a friend who’s travelling through Europe right now, and I’m meeting another friend in late November in Bologna who is studying abroad for 6 months.

I’m going to be taking it pretty easily though other than where I’ve agreed to meet people. I’ve got a flight out of Paris to London on the 18th of December to prove I’m leaving the Shcengen area before 90 days, and I want to spend New Year’s in Edinburgh for their hog ma nae I think it’s called, or pronounced like that at least. I’m meeting a friend there as well.

I fly again out of Amsterdam on the 19th of January and so those 2 weeks I’ll spend in the UK, it doesn’t matter where really but I’ve been suggested Bristol.

Want to say thanks to everyone for their help, making me realise I don’t really need to book anything or worrying about missing out on place, to travel within my means and so on. I appreciate it. I probably won’t spend any time on Bigfooty while I’m there, except maybe to read about who Freo pick up in the trade period, but I’ll try to remember to tell some stories when I get back.

Cheers

Absolutely happy to help

1) use the sunny days to do as much as you can outside. Things like -
A)100% Take a harbour cruise, and perhaps a canal cruise too. We have more bridges than Venice and the city is built on canals, so it’s really quite cool
B)do a free walking tour of the city. They’re actually really good and the city is super compact, even a 2 hr walk you’ll see heaps. So much maritime history to learn about
C) hire a bike and ride around the Alster and up the außenAlster
D) Walk through Landungsbrücken (Fish market area), up to St Pauli and then onto Sternschanze. Great area of coffee shops, bars, clothing, street art and just great vibes
E)walk up and down the Speicherstadt and visit the Elbphilharmonie. The Speicherstadt is an UNESCO heritage site these days. You’ve also got great things like Minatur World and the maritime museum there. Minatur world is actually hamburgs most visited attraction
F) walk up and down the Gänsemarkt/Neuer Wall/Rathaus/Mönckebergstraße area. Heaps of shopping, coffee drinking, canal cruising, people watching etc. it’s an unreal area
G) if the weather is sunny, go stand up paddle boarding from winterhude. The canals and real estate there is next level

2) on rainy days, it really rains. But it’s still super easy to get around with the metro. Maybe save Minatur world and Elphie for wet days if they are forecasted.

Places to check out for food/coffee/bars

- Reeperbahn is good for a party. It’s super seedy, but not dangerous. It’s a go once and you don’t need to go again. But it’s the biggest party district in Germany. Top top - don’t go before 9pm. That’s when people begin to go out

-kleine Pause for just an absolute Hamburg Late Night Food Institution
- public Coffee Roasters/nord coast coffee/elbgold/playground coffee for coffee
- basically anything in sternschanze is good for a feed
- überquell (IMO best brewery here, amazing pizza, right on the harbour), altes Mädchen, Bar oorlam, alles Elbe for beers

Send me a private message if you want so I don’t flood the board - can also send you my WhatsApp if that’s easier/you wana grab a cheeky beer somewhere

Hope this is a good start

Cheers
Berlin = Berghain

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
Also take one of your days in HH and plan a day trip to Lübeck. 40mins by train. Medieval city. Say no more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big Cox 88

Cancelled
Low Carb High Fat - Acolyte
Apr 1, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
AC Milan, Chelsea
Take advantage of the "free" walking tours in all of the big european cities. They are run by local tourism and travel students or expats who earn their main income from tips. The good ones tend to be inciteful and engaging and I have only experienced 2 bad ones out of about 25 I did. As a cheap backpacker I think I gave a tip of roughly 10 euros (feels like I was a scab though).

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
Take advantage of the "free" walking tours in all of the big european cities. They are run by local tourism and travel students or expats who earn their main income from tips. The good ones tend to be inciteful and engaging and I have only experienced 2 bad ones out of about 25 I did. As a cheap backpacker I think I gave a tip of roughly 10 euros (feels like I was a scab though).

Or bike tours. They’re also great, and you’ll see even more of the city. Just stay away from segways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jezzza

Club Legend
Mar 12, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Scandinavia next year, looking at Copenhagen, Stockholm, Oslo, Tromso, Helsinki, Gothernburg. Probably surrounding day trips too. Any other recommendations?

This is going to sound a bit weird but in Helsinki definitely check out the Oodi Library.

If the budget allows I found food tours a good alternative or addition to your typical walking tour.

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory and Arsenal

Completely agree, free walking tours are the way to go.

10 Euros per person and 20 people on a tour they're making 200 Euros in a couple of hours. I try and give relative to how many people, if there's stacks of people I'll give less as they're raking it in, if we're a group of 4 I'll give more as they rely on the individual donation a lot more.

Must see locations in Greece for sightseeing and beers apart from Ios.

Go.
Kefalonia - Melissani caves & Myrtos beach

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Jul 7, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Calgary Flames
Must see locations in Greece for sightseeing and beers apart from Ios.

Go.

Meteora is an incredible region with all these monasteries on top of mountains

Zakynthos is also a great island, the main town Laganas has a bit of a Bali vibe to it (but for the British) but the whole island is pretty stunning. Theres the famous shipwreck beach there, but if you go exploring you'll find some secluded beaches that are just as beautiful.

Glacier

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2007
close
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hi all
I’m thinking of heading to Europe next year
Specifically Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Poland to see Auschwitz, France and the Uk
I’ve been to the states and Canada a few times and had no problem driving, however this time I’m keen on moving around maybe by train
Has anyone got any info on how the train passes work?
I’ve had a look and find the whole thing perplexing
Can I get a pass to travel around independently for about a month?
Cheers in advance

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Hi all
I’m thinking of heading to Europe next year
Specifically Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Poland to see Auschwitz, France and the Uk
I’ve been to the states and Canada a few times and had no problem driving, however this time I’m keen on moving around maybe by train
Has anyone got any info on how the train passes work?
I’ve had a look and find the whole thing perplexing
Can I get a pass to travel around independently for about a month?
Cheers in advance

if you look around their site they do itineraries around europe others have done too.

Kummerspeck

Cancelled
Pokemon is Life
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
Mate you copped some pretty elite weather too... it’s 8 and zero cloud cover today!

What did you enjoy the most/get up to?

Saturday I just checked out Stadpark and walked around the city a bit, got a doner and wept a bit comparing it to what we get in Sweden, had a few drinks on the Reeperbahn. Sunday I did the walking tour, had a look at Millentor, went down the the Fish markets in the morning for some live music, fischbrot and breakfast beer, walked up to Sternschanze, got some coffee, remembered that things tended to be closed on Sunday. Probably a few other things in there, but just getting around the neighborhoods was enjoyable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back