News Former Cricket Australia CEO James Sutherland joins Cats board.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude you clearly dont get it. If we knew about it in 1995 then carlton should not of been able to play finals. Melbourne storm were stripped of flags because of this. From a results perspective this is as bad as steroid cheating.
Hawks Essendon and North all cheated the cap to win premierships and those were just the clubs caught its rumored that half the comp cheated on player payments under the table 80s/90s thats why AFL didnt strip clubs of premierships.

So far we have:
Cons:
Cheated us out of a flag (That's a bad one)
The richest club went broke while he was the head accountant.
Managed the cash of a Grand Stand design and build that devastated a club. (We are building GrandStands)
The whole cricket thing.
Pros:
Inspired appointment
Grandpa was principal at Grammar
Unless you were right there you don't know how s**t he was.
I am responsible for the “inspired appointment” remark. Admittedly I’d overlooked Sutherlands’s role at Carlton and was looking at him as the former CEO of ACB.

FWIW, Jon Anderson reckons Sutherland will replace Cook as CEO

So far we have:
Cons:
Cheated us out of a flag (That's a bad one)
The richest club went broke while he was the head accountant.
Managed the cash of a Grand Stand design and build that devastated a club. (We are building GrandStands)
The whole cricket thing.
Pros:
Inspired appointment
Grandpa was principal at Grammar
Unless you were right there you don't know how s**t he was.
The grand stand was a board level decision that backfired woefully, Most teams were going to Docklands and MCG Carlton decided to maximise income from PrincessPark/optus oval by building a grandstand generating more income dont forget they had numerous teams playing at the oval, and bit tough on the cricket player Contracts and ball tampering but his previous 15 years had him one of the most powerful men in sports administration...

I am responsible for the “inspired appointment” remark. Admittedly I’d overlooked Sutherlands’s role at Carlton and was looking at him as the former CEO of ACB.

Hopefully the club can get shot of him before that potential disaster occurs.

Cook is Un-replacable anyone who follows in his shoes will be a downgrade

Well it kind of is inspired.

Yeah but you can at least give it a go.
Im not sure Sutherland will be our CEO and part of the cook succession plan, Im more likely to go back to Stuart Fox a cook protege from the MCC but could we be attractive enough is the main problem...

Again we will never know as that was the age of benefactors every club had them and the role some of them played was more then mere supporters of a club

Yep. To think Geelong wasn't doing the same thing at that time is naive.

But saying that, as with the majority, not happy with the optics of this appointment.

Also Sutherland came across to me as a bit wishy washy...more a guy that should be in the back ground and not up front as a leader. But that is just a perception..no idea of what he was really like in the day to day running of Cricket Australia.

It's been suggested for a few years now. At least 5.
Not sure about that article. Can't see myself how cricket attendances are up 137% since he took over or participation is up f**king 250% but Oh well.

Cricket participation must be absolutely thriving in the cities then, because out here in country Victoria clubs are dying left, right and centre. 250% my arse.

Seriously do not like this appointment - I celebrated when we saw the back of this idiot from Cricket Australia.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I trust it's clearly understood that he will never, under any circumstances, have anything whatever to do with player-club relations in any way, shape or form, and that any attempt to do so is grounds for instant dismissal.
Do you really believe that though?

Yep. To think Geelong wasn't doing the same thing at that time is naive.

But saying that, as with the majority, not happy with the optics of this appointment.

Also Sutherland came across to me as a bit wishy washy...more a guy that should be in the back ground and not up front as a leader. But that is just a perception..no idea of what he was really like in the day to day running of Cricket Australia.
We let greg williams go cos we wouldnt pay him an extra 5 thousand a year even though the swans offered double what we did. If we were also doing it williams would never have left geelong.

The irony here is mindboggling.

Last edited:

Ando is in the know. From the moment Sutherland was effectively replaced as Cricket Australia CEO, with a sign off date later this year, I feared that might be the case.

It would take quite something for me to give-up my membership but appointing someone whose handling of the cricket player financial dispute was ham-fisted and whose media presentation is woeful might just do it.

Good time to try and sneak this atrocious appointment past the members, while their attention is focussed on the Carji and Kelly
Spot on. One thing I do well is read people quickly. I stood next to him for a while at the MCG a couple of years ago and I did not like what was emanating from him. BTW we were not in the loos.

Not if the first thing the new ceo does is sack scott. Thet would be a massive upgrade. Ofcourse if the man who replaces him is hand picked by cook and carter then it has zero chance of happening.
Well we look forward at the next AGM for you to put your hat in the ring if you feel so strongly about Scott being sacked..

Well we look forward at the next AGM for you to put your hat in the ring if you feel so strongly about Scott being sacked..
Good luck finding a quality coach this year. I guess we will have to resign ourselves to being stuck with a coach who could only lift us from 8th to minor premiers last season.

I am so disappointed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back