The Joker Movie starring Joaqin Pheonix October 2019 release

Remove this Banner Ad

My doubts on this movie were about Todd Phillips but he delivered. A couple of small things I prob would not have done. But he stuck to his vision so I really would not have called them mistakes well one of them because its going to create a lot of discussion about the movie which is what he wanted after seeing some of interviews.

Just seen it

Brilliant. they have to make a batman film with this version of the joker this is the real joker not that Jarrod Letto crap version
They won’t and shouldn’t no matter how much praise and pressure they’ll receive.

Some things are too good that they need to be left alone and this movie is one of them.

My doubts on this movie were about Todd Phillips but he delivered. A couple of small things I prob would not have done. But he stuck to his vision so I really would not have called them mistakes well one of them because its going to create a lot of discussion about the movie which is what he wanted after seeing some of interviews.

The scene when he was choking his mother in the hospital was pretty frigging intense.

Interesting critical reaction, a lot of the films detractors seem concerned about the message of the film, or are opposed to it. One critic said the movie was even more dangerous than the character.

RT has it at 70% and falling, fan reaction will probably be high 90s.

Agree on the score glad u pointed it out. Sounded a bit like last of us' score at times for brief moments. I loved how the same score which I guess is his theme was used to potray sadness then dread and even triumph through different parts of the film.

That choice of cello being his central theme was a brilliant decision, fantastic score througout. I won't use spoiler tags for this because it was already aired on the Jimmy Kimmel show a few days ago, but here is a brief glimpse of that scene. It was mesmerising to watch when you have the full context and understanding of what this moment represented.

Just seen it

Brilliant. they have to make a batman film with this version of the joker this is the real joker not that Jarrod Letto crap version

I'm quite glad it is a separate, Elseworlds style stand alone. Phoenix doesn't seem like a "shared universe, repeat appearances" kind of guy. And the depiction of this Gotham, and the darkness of his character, wouldn't integrate well into the mainstream. May seem tempting to do a version with him and Robert Pattinson, but WB can't have their main drawcard Batman in an R rated film. As much as I would enjoy that.

Interesting critical reaction, a lot of the films detractors seem concerned about the message of the film, or are opposed to it. One critic said the movie was even more dangerous than the character.

RT is so difficult to gauge. 70% for a DC film of late is quite strong actually. So many films are rated so highly but then dissapoint me (such as The Last Jedi), and then you have movies that are critically panned like Justice League (which had its issues yes but nowhere near as bad as it was rated).

I'm quite glad it is a separate, Elseworlds style stand alone. Phoenix doesn't seem like a "shared universe, repeat appearances" kind of guy. And the depiction of this Gotham, and the darkness of his character, wouldn't integrate well into the mainstream. May seem tempting to do a version with him and Robert Pattinson, but WB can't have their main drawcard Batman in an R rated film. As much as I would enjoy that.

I cant see Batman existing in this version at all. Its too real world. Bruce Wayne could become a vigilante but he certianly wouldnt be wearng a cape and cowl imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I cant see Batman existing in this version at all. Its too real world. Bruce Wayne could become a vigilante but he certianly wouldnt be wearng a cape and cowl imo.

Quite true. I’ve been wondering how it would work, not that it’s going to happen anyway. But indulging in the idea hypothetically, Gotham would continue to sink into more crime and despair after the movement Joker created.

The underbelly would be seedier and descend further during the time Joker is locked up at (presumably) Arkham and the ~15 years whilst Bruce grows into Batman. Organised crime etc would be rampant, much like the Nolan Gotham that’s depicted in Batman Begins. But anyway, am completely fine with this one off concept that DC delivered and hoping it gives them impetus to explore further movies like this.

And speaking of Bruce, it was a great little moment when Joker asked him his name. And he said it out loud.

Quite true. I’ve been wondering how it would work, not that it’s going to happen anyway. But indulging in the idea hypothetically, Gotham would continue to sink into more crime and despair after the movement Joker created.

The underbelly would be seedier and descend further during the time Joker is locked up at (presumably) Arkham and the ~15 years whilst Bruce grows into Batman. Organised crime etc would be rampant, much like the Nolan Gotham that’s depicted in Batman Begins. But anyway, am completely fine with this one off concept that DC delivered and hoping it gives them impetus to explore further movies like this.

And speaking of Bruce, it was a great little moment when Joker asked him his name. And he said it out loud.

If Bruce was to become a vigilante in this universe I can only envision it to be something like the first Death Wish but how does be not resort to killing would be the big question first up and not because he wants to but the logistics of it. Even if he is a trained fighter being unarmed would be too far fetched for this version imo.

And yes I fangirled when they interacted and he said his name. I was totally onboard with them being half bros too in this version even if it changes the lore. Ive always thought Joker non back story was almost vital but this proves that wrong to a degree if you do it well and really it was the only way to this version

Going to watch it anyway but some of the reviews have bagged it. Guardian called it most disappointing movie of the year. Wow

If Bruce was to become a vigilante in this universe I can only envision it to be something like the first Death Wish but how does be not resort to killing would be the big question first up and not because he wants to but the logistics of it. Even if he is a trained fighter being unarmed would be too far fetched for this version imo.

And yes I fangirled when they interacted and he said his name. I was totally onboard with them being half bros too in this version even if it changes the lore. Ive always thought Joker non back story was almost vital but this proves that wrong to a degree if you do it well and really it was the only way to this version

My initial reaction to him being Thomas Wayne’s son was mixed. This was a different take on Thomas Wayne which I largely didn’t mind even though he wasn’t as “nice and warm” as the Batman Begins version.

But infidelity, having an illegitimate child etc, was perhaps a step too far. So I actually felt a bit of relief later when the truth of his adoption etc was revealed.

As for the Joker non backstory, if done correctly it is fine. The Killing Joke concept was “one bad day”. And this was an extension to “a rough few weeks”.

Reminds me of Roger Ebert review of Fight Club (from memory essentially he thought the film was bad because people could take the wrong message away from it, very moralising anti-artisticness perspective imo)

My initial reaction to him being Thomas Wayne’s son was mixed. This was a different take on Thomas Wayne which I largely didn’t mind even though he wasn’t as “nice and warm” as the Batman Begins version.

But infidelity, having an illegitimate child etc, was perhaps a step too far. So I actually felt a bit of relief later when the truth of his adoption etc was revealed.

As for the Joker non backstory, if done correctly it is fine. The Killing Joke concept was “one bad day”. And this was an extension to “a rough few weeks”.

To me I kinda liked coz I was thinking of them as Joker and Batman and their relationship as its largely known, I was thinking being half brothers would make sense in way but I wasnt upset by the way it went.

The only thing I didnt like in the movie was the fight club flashback. Completely unecessary as Joaquin made it clear just through his acting that those interactions with her werent actually happening. Great acting and directing to change his demeanour in his fantasies to be more confident and charming basically an idealised version of himself.

That would have been a studio note to dumb it down even after it was confirmed by her confronting him in the apartment

Reminds me of Roger Ebert review of Fight Club (from memory essentially he thought the film was bad because people could take the wrong message away from it, very moralising anti-artisticness perspective imo)

Suspect it's a case of fan boys loving it for ticking their comic boxes + being a 'real movie', while critics don't care about comics and are judging it solely as a 'real movie'.

Ebert said the same about a few films, from memory.

That choice of cello being his central theme was a brilliant decision, fantastic score througout. I won't use spoiler tags for this because it was already aired on the Jimmy Kimmel show a few days ago, but here is a brief glimpse of that scene. It was mesmerising to watch when you have the full context and understanding of what this moment represented.

I don't really know what it represented, but it's cool as s**t.

Suspect it's a case of fan boys loving it for ticking their comic boxes + being a 'real movie', while critics don't care about comics and are judging it solely as a 'real movie'.
There's probably a bit of that, however it's well done for any genre of movie. I definitely appreciate it a bit more because it's a 'real' movie in a current cinema sense, not just from a comic book standpoint.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back