AFL 2020 Fixture Wishlist

Dec 2, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
But they didn't.

For example, in 2015, Hawks got 4 of the top 7 (including 3 of the top 5) and 13th. [This included top of the ladder, and also the flag runner up, and 2 x interstate teams in top 5]

Richmond have never ever got 4 of the top 8, or even 5 of the top 13.

Last year Hawks didn't make the preliminary final, and we got WC x 2, Geelong x 2, GWS x 2, North x 2, Bris x 2. I would have loved to have had your fixture, and you had won the flag in 2017 and finished on top in 2018 (top 3 after the finals). The biggest joke is that you got Gold Coast!!

The flag winner, and/or top of the table, should get 4 from the top 8, or something close to that.

That is the convention that hasn't been applied to the Tigers.

The AFL don’t work the fixture on the standings at the end of the year of the actual fixture. How the * are they to know Geelong and Brisbane would rise up the ranks and Giants make a GF when doing it 12 months ago?

Hawks (5th) got the premier, 6th, 8th 9th, & 15th in 2019 based on 2018 post-finals standings. So they got 3 top 8 teams and 3 teams around their standard based on the standings last year. You can’t use this year’s standings and say Hawthorn got dudded. Unfortunately, it’s the way it panned out.

BIRDBRAIN

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
At least 1 one Derby and one Showdown to be shown live on FTA, why are these nearly always foxtel only games?

Essendon to play WCE in MELBOURNE. When the hell did that happen last?

Geelong to get all 11 home games at Pencil Dick Park. Collingwood and Richmond to play there every year.

CarterS

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
I want away games at Brisbane and then at Gold Coast in consecutive weeks so I can make a holiday of it.
Pretty confident there will at least be a Brisbane home game vs Richmond as it didnt happen this year and the AFL have said we will get a few more big games. I'm going to predict it will be a Friday night game, that would be great.

Considering Richmond v Brisbane got 76K at the MCG (highest H&A crowd vs an interstate team) I would be pretty confident there'll be a repeat of that, too.

As for Brisbane fixtures I'm hoping for a few Friday night games and a couple extra MCG games.

COOGRE

Cancelled
Oct 1, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Southampton FC, New Orleans Saints
More Friday night games for my Saints please... find it bullshit how we barely get any yet we are one of the bigger clubs in the league

mcs095

All Australian
Sep 12, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
The most overdue match up is Collingwood vs Sydney in Melbourne.

Hasn’t happened since 2013.

This fixture has been so bizarre over the years. Has it been a case of Collingwood willingly giving up a game in Melbourne to play it in Sydney and try and build the interstate following or some other commercial based reasoning?

There was a period in the early 00s where it was much the same - Collingwood would always play the Swans at ANZ. Never quite got why - it seems much more than just a 'quirk' of the draw, and instead some sort of agreed position between the clubs and the AFL?

That or a broken formula in the spreadsheets of the AFL... which would be entirely possible too knowing their quality 'administration'.

Last edited:

TigerTrain23

Senior List
Jul 14, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
ANZAC Round will likely be interesting in 2020 as the AFL usually prefer to make the Collingwood v Essendon game a standalone clash.
I wish we had later matches in Perth on Saturday nights for us here in the East. 9pm starts aren't really that bad as the game still finishes before midnight.

Thursday
7:20pm - TBA v TBA (7/FoxFooty 504)

Friday
7:50pm - Melbourne v Richmond (7/FoxFooty 504)

Saturday
3:20pm - Collingwood V Essendon (7/FoxFooty 504)
6:10pm - TBA v TBA (FoxFooty 504)
7:25pm - TBA v TBA (7/FoxFooty 503)
9:00pm - Fremantle v TBA (FoxFooty 504)

Sunday
1:10pm - TBA v TBA (FoxFooty 504)
3:20pm - TBA v TBA (7/FoxFooty 503)
4:40pm - TBA v TBA (FoxFooty 504)

dylan93

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Using the weighted rule, best possible return fixtures for MFC would be:

- 2 x GC, Sydney, St. Kilda (not gonna say Carlton because I reckon they'll be in for a much better season)
- 2 x Adelaide (looking like a bottom 2-4 team next year at this rate)
- 2 x Brisbane (finished 2nd, I rate them to make the 8 next year however due to a harder fixture they'll finish lower in the 8)

Hosting both the Queens Birthday & ANZAC Day Eve games.

Home Fixtures: RICH (ANZAC Day Eve), COLL (Queens Birthday), CARL, WCE, PORT, GWS, GC (Alice Springs), SYD, STK, ADEL & BRIS.

Away games against: ESS (MCG), FREM, GEEL (MCG), HAW, NM (Docklands/Tasmania), WB, GC (GC/Darwin), SYD, STK (MCG), ADEL & BRIS.

So hopefully ~16 games in VIC as part of my H&A membership, easier fixture given our ladder position, hosting 2-3 blockbusters & an opportunity to go to WA &/or the NT for some interstate trips and we should be in for a decent season.

cogs2hawks

Team Captain
Jul 30, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think ANZAC Round will look like...

Round 6

Thursday
Brisbane v TBA Gabba 7:20 (ch 7)

Friday
Melbourne v Richmond MCG 7:50 (ch 7)

Saturday
Collingwood v Essendon MCG 3:20 (ch 7)
GWS v TBA Canberra 4:35 (FOX)
Port Adelaide v TBA Adelaide Oval 7:25 (ch 7)
Fremantle v TBA Optus Stadium 8:10 (FOX)

Sunday
TBA v TBA Marvel Stadium 1:10 (FOX)
Hawthorn v TBA Tasmania 3:20 (ch 7)
Geelong v TBA Kardinia Park 4:40 (FOX)

cogs2hawks

Team Captain
Jul 30, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Also do we reckon there will be a double header on Good Friday in 2020 or do we reckon it’ll just be the North game probs vs Essendon again?

cogs2hawks

Team Captain
Jul 30, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hawthorn usually get stitched up with the draw. Since we finished middle 6 I reckon we will play 2 from top 6, 2 from middle 6, 1 from bottom 6 instead of 1 from top 6, 3 from middle 6, 1 from bottom 6 (we always get stitched up in some way). Geelong is almost a given from the top 6 so we’ll play them twice. We are starting to play Brisbane twice regularly so I reckon we’ll play them twice again. From the middle 6 I reckon we’ll play Essendon (traditional rival) and either North or Bulldogs, I reckon North (also a traditional rival). From the bottom 6 we’ll get given Sydney (modern rival), last year was the first time in a while we haven’t played them twice but I think we will again next year. So that means we’ll play:
Top 6
Geelong, Brisbane
Middle 6
Essendon, North Melbourne
Bottom 6
Sydney

Reckon that’s fairly realistic and would be pretty happy with that too...

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
1 Friday night game, still haven't seen us play on Friday in 9 years, absolute rort, how we suppose to get good sponsorship when we have 0 FTA games over a season. I know we are awful, but play us on a Friday early in the season before we get 10 injuries. Won't happen, just a wish... list.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Well, the first half will come true...Like all teams, you WILL get 11 home games.

The second part....Sure...but you have to pay compensation to the AFL for the money they lose (AFL members, MCG deal, etc) from the lower crowds you'll get from playing WCE & GWS at the G...In addition to the lower revenue your club will get from those games.

Why wouldnt the AFL simply suffer any loss resulting from their poor management, they set the FIXture, they signed the stadium agreement.
The stadium agreements are under pressure by the need to move games out of Melbourne as the market is so over supplied, again of the AFLs making.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
I want away games at Brisbane and then at Gold Coast in consecutive weeks so I can make a holiday of it.

Also would like to play Gold Coast twice so that we can cheer Brandon Ellis twice as much for being a dual Premiership hero and getting us a late 1st round pick.

Lets hope there is thought given to the games in Q & school hols, long weekends & more promotion.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Where do Collingwood, Carlton, Melbourne, Essendon etc play their home games against us then? Adelaide Oval?

Are you actually dense? Or just being deliberately obtuse because you think you’re funny?

I'm with Malcolm, what form of phobia are you suffering when its home one week, not the next, and not if its the GF.
The AFL could fix your delusion by tossing away the home & away concept, its only about membership income now, chuck it out & start again.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Why cant WCE sell home games to the MCG if they want to play there so bad?

We have a home ground and we're entitled to play at it 11 home games. Away teams dont get to tell home teams where they play home games (unless youre port apparently)

BIRDBRAIN

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Why cant WCE sell home games to the MCG if they want to play there so bad?

We have a home ground and we're entitled to play at it 11 home games. Away teams dont get to tell home teams where they play home games (unless youre port apparently)

I'm fine with Geelong having 11 home games so long as it's every year and every team have to play there every few years including Collingwood, Hawthorn, Richmond. Same with Tasmania, why do interstate teams have to go there every year when certain Vic clubs never ever go there?

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Some games on national FTA TV , I know we suck, but hard to attract large sponsors when only getting shown locally and on Fox, a Thursday or Friday game for the first time in our existence.

Adelaide vs Port Adelaide on FTA would be nice. Usually get St Kilda vs Kangaroos in a half-empty stadium instead :rolleyes:

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm fine with Geelong having 11 home games so long as it's every year and every team have to play there every few years including Collingwood, Hawthorn, Richmond. Same with Tasmania, why do interstate teams have to go there every year when certain Vic clubs never ever go there?
That's on the AFL, not us.

We ask for 11 home games every year, and because we're 100km away from the G they shift our games up the highway. It's s**t but at the end of the day, the AFL makes the FIXture, and they do it so that the "Big 4" get the cushiest season year in year out.

May 22, 2014
Punt Rd to Goodison Park
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
Using the weighted rule, best possible return fixtures for MFC would be:

- 2 x GC, Sydney, St. Kilda (not gonna say Carlton because I reckon they'll be in for a much better season)
- 2 x Adelaide (looking like a bottom 2-4 team next year at this rate)
- 2 x Brisbane (finished 2nd, I rate them to make the 8 next year however due to a harder fixture they'll finish lower in the 8)

Hosting both the Queens Birthday & ANZAC Day Eve games.

Home Fixtures: RICH (ANZAC Day Eve), COLL (Queens Birthday), CARL, WCE, PORT, GWS, GC (Alice Springs), SYD, STK, ADEL & BRIS.

Away games against: ESS (MCG), FREM, GEEL (MCG), HAW, NM (Docklands/Tasmania), WB, GC (GC/Darwin), SYD, STK (MCG), ADEL & BRIS.
You can't play Brisbane twice, the only teams from the top 6 Melbourne can play twice are Richmond, Collingwood or Geelong.
That's on the AFL, not us.

We ask for 11 home games every year, and because we're 100km away from the G they shift our games up the highway. It's s**t but at the end of the day, the AFL makes the FIXture, and they do it so that the "Big 4" get the cushiest season year in year out.
Geelong want 11 games at KP but never against Essendon, Hawthorn and Collingwood. AFL said you can't play those teams as away games every year, you need to be the home team as well.

Geelong not wanting to play those 3 clubs at KP is the reason you play home games at the MCG, what don't you understand about that.

Sep 7, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Vancouver Canucks
My wishlist is for no wishlists.

Screw the TV contacts, make the draw as fair as possible over a 3 year period. For instance every Mel team should have 5 Perth trips over 3 years. After 3 years the home and away series between 2 clubs should also be close to balanced.

Make Saturday afternoon at the G a thing, actually promote it like Friday night football is promoted.

No arse kissing anymore, this is a sport we pay for so organise it like one.

Last edited:
Back