What the heck? Eddie Betts

Carltonchef

Draftee
Oct 4, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Why is carlton just opening their arms and welcoming eb back yes he is a fantastic player but he left Carlton for family reasons and more importantly he is 33 years old surely we are better off trying to get some that's got 7/8 years left in him
Unless bets is going to play for 3/4 years then be a coach of some sort:carlton::adelaide:

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Why is carlton just opening their arms and welcoming eb back yes he is a fantastic player but he left Carlton for family reasons and more importantly he is 33 years old surely we are better off trying to get some that's got 7/8 years left in him
Unless bets is going to play for 3/4 years then be a coach of some sort:carlton::adelaide:

3/4 of a year sounds about right. But renewed enthusiasm might have him return to his best and he might help you make finals. He has said that he struggles to get up week in, week out these days. If managed properly, will likely be a pretty good contributor in 2020.

Very quickly one would think, the deserter pocket springs to mind.
It seems that the people most upset when Eddie changes teams are the ones not supporting either the current or the destination club.

They're not a very good footy club, that's why

Carltonchef

Draftee
Oct 4, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
[

I go for the blues it's just I think his spot on the list is better off with Someone who has 5 to 10 years not maybe 1 to 3 years

ablett

Premiership Player
Jan 27, 2006
Tasmania
AFL Club
Fremantle
Firstly there is no guarantee any younger player you recruit will play for 5-7 years, Carlton have rebuilt for long enough and it’s time now to win games an make the finals.
Eddie hasn’t had any serious injuries and hardly misses a game, he will Knick 30 minimum next season and maybe even 50, no,young kid will do that next season.

BoomBoomKing

Rookie
May 29, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Why is carlton just opening their arms and welcoming eb back yes he is a fantastic player but he left Carlton for family reasons

A few years back, my mate lost his dog in Adelaide and the person who found it rang the number on the tag and told him to come and pick it up. My mate turned up to the house and it was none other than Eddie Betts! My mate being a huge Carlton fan was stoked! Eddie invited him in, introduced him to his family and showed him to the dog in the backyard. Eddie then sat down and had a beer with him (off season) and my mate asked him straight up about leaving Carlton.

Eddie said it was purely money. Said he loved being at Carlton and didn't want to go. I can't remember the exact figures... but basically Eddie wanted 50k-100k more at the Blues and they said no. Adelaide come at him offering him more than that and having family in Adelaide it was a no-brainer.

I guess it's a feel good story for the Blues, a homecoming celebration for a much loved figure in the twilight of his Career.

But personally, I'm with you. I think it's a stupid move.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
A few years back, my mate lost his dog in Adelaide and the person who found it rang the number on the tag and told him to come and pick it up. My mate turned up to the house and it was none other than Eddie Betts! My mate being a huge Carlton fan was stoked! Eddie invited him in, introduced him to his family and showed him to the dog in the backyard. Eddie then sat down and had a beer with him (off season) and my mate asked him straight up about leaving Carlton.

Eddie said it was purely money. Said he loved being at Carlton and didn't want to go. I can't remember the exact figures... but basically Eddie wanted 50k-100k more at the Blues and they said no. Adelaide come at him offering him more than that and having family in Adelaide it was a no-brainer.

I guess it's a feel good story for the Blues, a homecoming celebration for a much loved figure in the twilight of his Career.

Eddie said in an interview that Carlton reduced an offer that had been on the table by about $50k per year and that he would have stayed if they would re-offer that. They had 2 other pretty handy guys that could play small forward at the time as well.

Getting Betts back is much much more than about what he can produce on the field. He will be a great mentor for alot of our younger players on the list, particularly our indigenous players. He is also one of the reasons why Jack Martin was so set on coming to Carlton. Finally, I believe our membership will increase for the 2020 season because of this, with our membership levels already around 13k ahead of where we were this time last year.

Back