AFL 2020 Fixture Wishlist

Sauras

Club Legend
Oct 6, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
More MCG games
No games in Geelong (unless it’s the 7th game in vic)

Dav

Hotel? Trivago.
10k Posts Koala SFA State of Origin Coney Island Warriors - Sweet F.A. Pantskyle SFA Fight For MND SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser Brisbane Dolphins Player - BFFCL BFFCL Club Captain Blue Mountain Bounders Player - BFFCL
Jul 23, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Brighton, McLaren F1
Friday night Showdown, for once, please.

cogs2hawks

Team Captain
Jul 30, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If we're talking about ANZAC day round why not have a game in Westpac Stadium in NZ to kick things off on ANZAC day.

Yeah, they really should or even just in ANZAC Round. They did it for a couple years then stopped... don’t know why they stopped but they should do it again

4THAWN

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The AFL don’t work the fixture on the standings at the end of the year of the actual fixture. How the fu** are they to know Geelong and Brisbane would rise up the ranks and Giants make a GF when doing it 12 months ago?

Hawks (5th) got the premier, 6th, 8th 9th, & 15th in 2019 based on 2018 post-finals standings. So they got 3 top 8 teams and 3 teams around their standard based on the standings last year. You can’t use this year’s standings and say Hawthorn got dudded. Unfortunately, it’s the way it panned out.
r u dumb?

he's arguing in hawthorn's premiership years(using 2015 fixture BASED OFF 2014 RESULTS) hawks got fixtured double-ups against
Sydney(1st) Geelong(3rd) Port(5th) Essendon(7th) Carlton(13th)
based of the same formula as richmond who's 2018 fixture based off 2017 ladder positions looked like
Adelaide(1st), Geelong(2nd), Essendon(7th), St Kilda(11th), Collingwood(13th)

Hawks got 3 top 6 sides, 1 7th-8th side and 1 non finals side

Bulldogs got fixture like this for a neutral point.

Brisbane Lions (17th), Greater Western Sydney(4th), North Melbourne(8th), Sydney Swans (1st), West Coast (6th)

3 top 6 sides, 1 7th-8th placed side and 1 non finals side

Richmond's 2018 post-premiership fixture just doesn't meet the AFL's conventions. They get favorable fixturing.

Adelaide(1st), Geelong(2nd), Essendon(7th), St Kilda(11th), Collingwood(13th).

2 top 6 sides, 1 7th-8th placed side and 2 non finals sides.

Carltonchef

Draftee
Oct 4, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
It's about time we start playing you guys every year twice it's about the best game of the home and away season apart from Anzac Day

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Geelong not wanting to play those 3 clubs at KP is the reason you play home games at the MCG, what don't you understand about that.
We want to play them down here, but the AFL says that "we can't lock out the away fans"

What don't you understand about that?

May 22, 2014
Punt Rd to Goodison Park
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
We want to play them down here, but the AFL says that "we can't lock out the away fans"

What don't you understand about that?
Then remove yourself from Easter Monday and force the AFL to send the Hawks to KP, question is does your club want to remove itself from that fixture or are they happy to play the Hawks at the G as a home game every second year.

TonaldDrump

Team Captain
Nov 30, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Anzac day should be Collingwood and Essendon only.

Other teams can play on the following monday and tuesday

parano1a

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Anzac day should be Collingwood and Essendon only.
It falls on a Saturday in 2020 so multiple games will be played. I think it will still be a standalone fixture.

For example:
Collingwood v Essendon (MCG) 2.10
Gold Coast v St Kilda (MS) 4.45
Adelaide v North Melbourne (AO) 5.10
Carlton v Western Bulldogs (MRVL) 7.25
Fremantle v Geelong (OS) 8.10

Goalski14

Debutant
Sep 19, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
I'd like to get double up games against Collingwood, West Coast, Brisbane, Adelaide and Carlton.
I'd like most of our games to be on Saturday afternoons.
I'd like to see us play against one of Hawthorn/North Melbourne down in Tasmania and Geelong at GMHBA.
NO HOME GAMES AT ETIHAD STADIUM. That is not our home ground.

Outside of Richmond, I'd like to see both the Derby on TV for once. They always seem to have it on Sunday twilight for some reason.

Hasn’t been a derby on national free to air since 2005.

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Absolute minimum would be 2-2-1. Richmond got 3-1-1.
The rules were applied correctly. Cope harder. 2018 double ups:
Crows (2nd)
Cats (3rd)
Bombers (8th)
Hawks (12th)
Pies (13th)

So 2-2-1. Again within the rules. Pies and Hawks ended up big improvers in 2018 too.

For 2018 the Tigers got the minimum. That is 2-2-1.

In 2019 the Tigers got close to the minimum. 3-1-1. They got 3 in the top 6, the last team of the next group 12th, and the last team of the comp 18th (which was a bye). And they didn't get WC, and didn't really travel against top 8 teams. It would be difficult to design an easier fixture within the rules for 2 seasons for the best team.

In 2015, for example, the Hawks got 4 of the top 7. Plus the first team of the last group 13th. And Hawks had to travel to play most of the top 8 teams. It would be difficult to design a harder fixture.

It is really just about facts, not "coping harder". I have been posting about this for 12 months.

That is not an actual convention, it’s something you made up.

Under the actual rules, we got the maximum number of games against 2018 top 6 teams.

You got the minimum in 2018 after winning the flag, and in 2019 you got a really nice package including teams 12 and 18, avoiding games interstate against the top 8. You could argue 2019 was easier than the minimum in 2018. (those two generous fixtures are against all past expectations, if you don't like the word "convention", for teams so clearly superior/successful like the Tigers).

Lets see what the AFL do in 2020 with the Tigers fixture. Perhaps we can all move on then. I don't want to have to bring it up again. But Tiger fans should just say yeah we got lucky with our fixture for a superior team.

Last edited:

Do the Dew

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2019
Stuart Dew's Gut
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm fine with Geelong having 11 home games so long as it's every year and every team have to play there every few years including Collingwood, Hawthorn, Richmond. Same with Tasmania, why do interstate teams have to go there every year when certain Vic clubs never ever go there?
Batting for Richmond here cause you clearly haven't done your research.

Going back ~15 years, we went to GMHBA in 2017, 2012, 2010, 2009, 2007, 2006, 2005. Also played them at Docklands in 2011, 2008, 2007. Comparatively, Collingwood hasn't been to GMHBA since '99 and Hawthorn since 2006.

As for Tassie, we played Hawthorn there in 2006 and NM there in 2016, 2015. Interestingly, we haven't played NM in a H&A game at the MCG since 2012... Collingwood haven't played either Hawthorn or NM in Tassie from what I could find.

Before you lump us in with other clubs, how about doing some research about our home games. Maybe you can go and check out Richmond vs Port Adelaide and see how often recently we've played them at home...

Going back ~15 years, we went to GMHBA in 2017, 2012, 2010, 2009, 2007, 2006, 2005. Also played them at Docklands in 2011, 2008, 2007. Comparatively, Collingwood hasn't been to GMHBA since '99 and Hawthorn since 2006.

As for Tassie, we played Hawthorn there in 2006 and NM there in 2016, 2015. Interestingly, we haven't played NM in a H&A game at the MCG since 2012... Collingwood haven't played either Hawthorn or NM in Tassie from what I could find.

Before you lump us in with other clubs, how about doing some research about our home games. Maybe you can go and check out Richmond vs Port Adelaide and see how often recently we've played them at home...

Richmond were trying to get the Tas game Vs North in Hobart to be a regular thing, but both North and the Hobart council ended up saying no.

North, because they want to make Hobart a 'fortress' and didn't like the opposition being clearly more popular with the locals (admittedly, that was one of the reasons Richmond was happy to play there).

Hobart council (et al) didn't like it because the game was too popular with the locals...The reason they pay is to attract tourists, and the locals were buying all the tickets leaving no seats available for tourists.

BIRDBRAIN

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast

Fair enough mate, I guess I was jumping the gun there, Richmond's recent success and popularity has seen them rise up quite quickly both in my perception of what they are as a club and I daresay what the AFL's perception of them will be too. I'm expecting Richmond will be treated basically as Collingwood v2 by the AFL going forward!

Back