Sneaky things you board does on B and F night hoping the fans are distracted

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Geelong yesterday quietly announced on B and F night that it was recruiting to the board:

The accountant who is highly suspected of facilitating Carltons salary cap cheating that cost geelong the 1995 flag. Yes he helped funnel money to pay greg williams out of the cap. Williams won the norm smith that year and was carltons best player. A kick in the guts to everyone who followed the geelong football club at that time. Done on B and F day so no one would hopefully notice.

So what has your clubs board done to give the fans a kick in the guts on B and F night. Does any club board top this?

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Geelong yesterday quietly announced on B and F night that it was recruiting to the board:

The accountant who is highly suspected of facilitating Carltons salary cap cheating that cost geelong the 1995 flag. Yes he helped funnel money to pay greg williams out of the cap. Williams won the norm smith that year and was carltons best player. A kick in the guts to everyone who followed the geelong football club at that time. Done on B and F day so no one would hopefully notice.

So what has your clubs board done to give the fans a kick in the guts on B and F night. Does any club board top this?
I coached a son of one of your players from the 90’s Grand final era teams. A 12 year old boy. His dad played in three losing GFs. There were three other kids in the squad who are sons of premiership players. I heard his son say to the other kids “my dads team was cheated out of the ‘95 premiership!”

NetworkNerd

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
AFL Member so all clubs I guess.
I coached a son of one of your players from the 90’s Grand final era teams. A 12 year old boy. His dad played in three losing GFs. There were three other kids in the squad who are sons of premiership players. I heard his son say to the other kids “my dads team was cheated out of the ‘95 premiership!”

I couldnt help myself

In the 1995 Cats team the players that played:

Ablett - 4 losing GF
Barnes - 4 losing GF
Breuer - 2 losing GF
Brownless - 4 losing GF
Brown - 2 losing GF
Colbert - 2 losing GF
Couch - 4 losing GF
Graham - 2 losing GF
Handley - 2 losing GF
Hickmott - 2 losing GF with Cats. 1 with Carlton
Hinkley - 3 losing GF
Hocking - 4 losing GF
Lord - 1 losing GF
Mansfield - 3 losing GF
McGrath - 3 losing GF
Mensch - 2 losing GF
Pickering - 2 losing GF
Riccardi - 3 losing GF
Sholl - 1 losing GF
Tanner - 1 losing GF
Tudor - 2 losing GF

So its Hickmott, Hinkley, Mansfield, McGrath or Riccardis son.

Hickmott has a son. As does Riccardi, Mansfield, and Hinkley. McGrath has only girls so he is out.

Thats about as far as I can narow that down :)

Sep 21, 2009
Melbs
AFL Club
Essendon
I can't recall the specifics, but didn't AFL house dump some controversial news (possibly related to the drugs saga) on Christmas Eve or Day a few years back?

The AFL were notorious for releasing news regarding the Essendon saga on Friday nights around 7pm, so they’d get buried over the course of the weekend/have watered down reporting.

Used to listen to the Rub on MMM every Friday and they’d groan every time it happened. Became a running joke.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
I couldnt help myself

In the 1995 Cats team the players that played:

Ablett - 4 losing GF
Barnes - 4 losing GF
Breuer - 2 losing GF
Brownless - 4 losing GF
Brown - 2 losing GF
Colbert - 2 losing GF
Couch - 4 losing GF
Graham - 2 losing GF
Handley - 2 losing GF
Hickmott - 2 losing GF with Cats. 1 with Carlton
Hinkley - 3 losing GF
Hocking - 4 losing GF
Lord - 1 losing GF
Mansfield - 3 losing GF
McGrath - 3 losing GF
Mensch - 2 losing GF
Pickering - 2 losing GF
Riccardi - 3 losing GF
Sholl - 1 losing GF
Tanner - 1 losing GF
Tudor - 2 losing GF

So its Hickmott, Hinkley, Mansfield, McGrath or Riccardis son.

Hickmott has a son. As does Riccardi, Mansfield, and Hinkley. McGrath has only girls so he is out.

Thats about as far as I can narow that down :)
Nice sleuthing.

Royce Hafey

Premiership Player
Mar 6, 2013
Point Cook
AFL Club
Richmond
Awkward moment at Hawthorn's BnF last year when Isaac Smith causally dropped into his presentation how much he was going to miss having Andrew Russell at the club.

Massive shock to the fans and not a great thing to leak out in the middle of player-hunting time.
That's like the time our former captain, Kane Johnson, publicly commiserated with the players who were being delisted during a B & F speech. Only problem was that the players hadn't been informed yet. One of them was the son of club legend, Michael Roach.

Johnson was a bit of a space cadet. I remember one game at the start of the year against Carlton when he grabbed the ball at the first bounce and kicked a beautiful 50 metre kick the wrong way - straight into Carlton's forward line. And then there was the time towards the end of his tenure when he got arrested for pissing against the wall of a cop shop when drunk. A bit of a contrast with Captain Cotchin! Ahhh the Wallace years...

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Give Luke Dahlhaus more votes than Mitch Duncan? They should have immediately announced a change in the voting system.

Nothing against Dahlhaus, but it was a decent contributor getting more votes than a genuine AA calibre player.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
The AFL were notorious for releasing news regarding the Essendon saga on Friday nights around 7pm, so they’d get buried over the course of the weekend/have watered down reporting.

Used to listen to the Rub on MMM every Friday and they’d groan every time it happened. Became a running joke.

It’s a common tactic used by any company that needs to announce bad news. PR 101.

PR people really are the worst.

Last edited:
It’s a common tactic used by an my company that needs to announce bad news. PR 101.

“ Taking out the trash” in Sounding Board parlance.

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Give Luke Dahlhaus more votes than Mitch Duncan? They should have immediately announced a change in the voting system.

Nothing against Dahlhaus, but it was a decent contributor getting more votes than a genuine AA calibre player.
Justifying their recruiting of him. Luke is a great player when giving maximum effort. But he can look like a park footballer when not. He doesn’t have the natural athleticism or skill to get away with not giving 100%, 100% of the time.

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
That's like the time our former captain, Kane Johnson, publicly commiserated with the players who were being delisted during a B & F speech. Only problem was that the players hadn't been informed yet. One of them was the son of club legend, Michael Roach.

Johnson was a bit of a space cadet. I remember one game at the start of the year against Carlton when he grabbed the ball at the first bounce and kicked a beautiful 50 metre kick the wrong way - straight into Carlton's forward line. And then there was the time towards the end of his tenure when he got arrested for pi**ing against the wall of a cop shop when drunk. A bit of a contrast with Captain Cotchin! Ahhh the Wallace years...

Interesting you say that because IIRC from a recent interview Cotchin lived with him for a time early on and still speaks very highly of his influence on him!

Jun 13, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Chicago Bears
You seem to otherwise it wouldnt of triggered you.
No, I get frustrated by posters derailing threads with bullshit. I don't care one bit about his or her political opinions on a football forum, hence why I responded.

I am surprised that is hard to understand.

Love the use of the word triggered though....a sure fire way to demonstrate to someone that you aren't particularly intelligent.

AuntyBlindEye

Slick Bear
Chess Club Member EKA Medal - Sweet FA Rising Star BeanCoiNFT Investor
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
It’s a common tactic used by any company that needs to announce bad news. PR 101.

We're not all bad. Why don't you read some of my literature?

May 3, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australian Cricket Team,
Justifying their recruiting of him. Luke is a great player when giving maximum effort. But he can look like a park footballer when not. He doesn’t have the natural athleticism or skill to get away with not giving 100%, 100% of the time.
Pretty happy with his output last season tbf. Guess he just needed a change-not that it was WB fault exactly. If Steven can have a similar output next year as Dahl this year we'd be pretty happy.

Back