Club Focus Sydney Academy in 2020 another bonanza

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That Campbell was fantastic in the Under 17's futures game on GF day.

Quick with an elite left foot. Smooth mover that kicks goals. Great get for the Swans.

The paranoia over Sydney’s academy is amazing. Swans have taken 3 decent prospects in a decade.. it’s probably the poorest output of any of the northern academies.

Yet any sniff of a kid coming through and Vic panics..

Sydney's controversial academy is poised to produce another pair of bright prospects at next year's draft, Errol Gulden and Braeden Campbell,

They look brilliant. Campbell looks like Nathan Buckley II.

The academies are just the zone system but with systemic inequality.
Also interested in your thoughts on Hawthorn's controversial academy and your top 10 pick this year? Or is that very, very different? Good job on enticing the Giant's pick 1 forward for a packet of chips as well, certainly shows how unnecessary the northern academies are.

I don't really have any problem with these academies. AFL has to grow the game, and the clubs up there seem to put in some decent resources to make them happen.

The NGA zones though... now they are BS.
I know that our boys need to be in the academy for an explicit number of years prior to us having access to them but found it very interesting that Tarryn Thomas didn’t have to fit the same amount of years for North.
The NGA zones are an admission by the AFL that Sydney's academy zones are just a rort.
It’s not an admission that they’re a rort but more an appeasement for the big Vic clubs because as we know the game is under serious threat in the traditional states.
The paranoia over Sydney’s academy is amazing. Swans have taken 3 decent prospects in a decade.. it’s probably the poorest output of any of the northern academies.

You might be reaching there with the poorest output as the Suns for me would fit this criteria surely with the types of players that they’ve acquired through their academy.

I know that our boys need to be in the academy for an explicit number of years prior to us having access to them but found it very interesting that Tarryn Thomas didn’t have to fit the same amount of years for North.

Because certain whinging Vics weild to much power in the AfL

It’s not an admission that they’re a rort but more an appeasement for the big Vic clubs because as we know the game is under serious threat in the traditional states.

As said above when a child cries in your ear for 8 hours sometimes you give in.

Threat? From who?

Yeah.... nah. It was an admission by the AFL that the whingeing of some Vic clubs had got to them. Similiar to how a parent can give into a child after 8 hours of screaming.

Bullshit, when Sydney are able to get talented kids from strong football families under a system that is meant to be growing the game through non-traditional areas, it's just a blatant rort.

No issues with the other clubs getting one but the AFL knew they shat the bed with Sydney and they've been trying to change the rules ever since to fix their * up.

You might be reaching there with the poorest output as the Suns for me would fit this criteria surely with the types of players that they’ve acquired through their academy.

Yeah nah, the AFL are still trying to fix their mistakes with Sydney. The other northern clubs are a separate issues, don't confuse them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can you please tell me which northern academy players are better than yours and which players?

Bulls**t, when Sydney are able to get talented kids from strong football families under a system that is meant to be growing the game through non-traditional areas, it's just a blatant rort.

No issues with the other clubs getting one but the AFL knew they shat the bed with Sydney and they've been trying to change the rules ever since to fix their fu** up.
James Bell says hi. Made his debut this year. Played soccer as a junior, was a member of Wanderers squad at age 15. Grew up in the AFL hotbed of Shellharbour. Lit up the draft so much he was a Cat B rookie.

James Bell says hi. Made his debut this year. Played soccer as a junior, was a member of Wanderers squad at age 15. Grew up in the AFL hotbed of Shellharbour. Lit up the draft so much he was a Cat B rookie.

Conveniently forgetting the talent Sydney has stolen from strong football families

The AFL have cobstantly manipulated the competition to artificially keep Sydney competitive to increase ratings in NSW to make more money.

What's funny is seeing Sydney fans trying to patheticly deny it

I've said it before but I think they should get rid of NGAs and Northern Academies, they can still be based at the clubs but the AFL fully fund and staff them and all players then go into the open draft pool, problem and continual bitching solved.

Problem is two fold.

1. AFL are crap at running them
2. The players need to see a direct pathway for them to be convinced.

I used to think the same as you, then I talked to people in the industry and the academies are a much needed aspect of keeping the talent pool flowing into AFL circles.

How they're valued can be up for debate, but there is certainly a need for clubs in those areas to run and manage the Academies.

I've said it before but I think they should get rid of NGAs and Northern Academies, they can still be based at the clubs but the AFL fully fund and staff them and all players then go into the open draft pool, problem and continual bitching solved.
As soon as they get rid of F/S and rotate the GF.
As well as stop the financial benefits and 3rd party deals being massive I'm the heartland compared to the northern regions. (Not that I want to see the end of 1 or 2 of these things but if we are hammering advantages for certain clubs then go the whole hog)

I'll fully support axing the Northern Academies once that's done.

Problem is two fold.

1. AFL are crap at running them
2. The players need to see a direct pathway for them to be convinced.

I used to think the same as you, then I talked to people in the industry and the academies are a much needed aspect of keeping the talent pool flowing into AFL circles.

How they're valued can be up for debate, but there is certainly a need for clubs in those areas to run and manage the Academies.
The clubs could still source the staff to run them and oversee them + as I said they are based at the club, it's just that the AFL provide all the finance.

eg. The Lions academy continues with the same staff and at the same location but the Lions don't provide any money for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back