Nickoo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
Cockatoo could make a difference. Give youth their chance. Ablett, Taylor, selwood bit part players now. Allow youth to take over the leadership & locker room.
Tommy Stewart captain as Selwood steps aside.

I like it. But wouldn’t Paddy be next up to captain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Larry Donohue

Premium Platinum
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Keep players to their positions as a starting point
If Stanley is Ruck, play him there all year
If Blicavs is full back play him there all year
If players not performing, drop them to the twos so no more loafing and drifting
Get Cockatoo right
Put Constable in the team from round 1 to seasons end
Give Kreuger a crack early
Get decent players in the draft that can give future belief at the club and have the stars still there teach them plenty
See if Simpson, Zuthrie, Parsons, Fogarty, Fort, Brownless, Kennerly, Tarca, Jarvis are good enough, if not move them on so we can sprout some new young talent

Footy Smarts

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 19, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
No way. He’s a s**t kick for goal, and too often spoils his own teammates.

Leave him in the middle where he plays best.

His kicking is occasionally brilliant but normally s**t wherever he plays. He's more likely to improve his set shot goal kicking than his field kicking this late in his career. Well be way more dangerous when we do win it in midfield with him on the end of better ball use and hopefully won't be opened up as much when we don't win it with better defensive players in the middle. The current setup with him in the middle had failed us in finals for 4 straight years. It's time we tried something and stop losing the same way year after year.

Cronin

Cancelled
Jul 22, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Seattle Supersonics
I think the MC are the main reason why we've underachieved over the past 4 years come finals time, despite finishing top 2 3 times during that period yet we've never gotten past the Prelim stage.

Despite having basically a clean bill of health during this period, our team has never been settled like other teams and IMO half the players are either played in the wrong positions or have no idea what their role is; and this is at FINALS! Not ******* Round 1!

Get the team sorted early MC and stop ******* around with it because you're not as good a coaching group as you think you are and until you prove otherwise then this is the stance that a lot of Geelong fans, including a fully paid-up member like myself, will continue to take.

Prove me wrong MC and take the next step:thumbsu:

May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
His kicking is occasionally brilliant but normally s**t wherever he plays. He's more likely to improve his set shot goal kicking than his field kicking this late in his career. Well be way more dangerous when we do win it in midfield with him on the end of better ball use and hopefully won't be opened up as much when we don't win it with better defensive players in the middle. The current setup with him in the middle had failed us in finals for 4 straight years. It's time we tried something and stop losing the same way year after year.

He’s usually the one keeping us in the game. Not the one getting smashed like our usual passengers.

BotsMaster

2022 Sep Premiers
Jan 26, 2009
Cheat Park
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Everton, Cardinals
Get the team sorted early MC and stop ******* around with it because you're not as good a coaching group as you think you are and until you prove otherwise then this is the stance that a lot of Geelong fans, including a fully paid-up member like myself, will continue to take.
I thought the team was settled prior to the bye.

Mar 7, 2009
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
In terms of the playing group, the improvement needs to come from Miers, Clark, Narkle, Parfitt, O'Connor, Henry, Cockatoo, Constable, and so on. Our best players really have no improvement left in them apart from fitness/injury issues. If the Cats are going to go that next step in 2020, then, IMO, the 15th-30th ranked players on the list need to improve big time.

1.Inject more run and carry from the mids and half forwards
2.Play few more Kids when the team is out of form
run with a 4 man forward line to create space
3.Skills by foot
4.Draft quality not top ups
5.alter balance between systematic game plan to free flowing
4.Arguably, all our top-ups were quality, whereas pure drafting is hit and miss, ie easier said than done, that point of yours, something the selectors have no control over.
1. Again, arguably Dahl, Rohan, Atkinson and GAJ should have injected more of that, as also Narkle.

Last edited:
In terms of the playing group, the improvement needs to come from Miers, Clark, Narkle, Parfitt, O'Connor, Henry, Cockatoo, Constable, and so on. Our best players really have no improvement left in them apart from fitness/injury issues. If the Cats are going to go that next step in 2020, then, IMO, the 15th-30th ranked players on the list need to improve big time.
Agreed, and that does include Parsons. I noted he was emergency for every final, ahead of Chook, and not saying he will be ahead next year, but he should also be in calculations.

It was as settled as it's been for years, hence the 11-1 start against good opposition.

I don't buy this 'just not good enough' bullshit.
You might not buy it, but 5-5 in the second half year, and the way Tigers played with us in that prelim, suggests we are a bit off their pace. As is EVERY other team. So just not good enough is apt, Hawkins or no Hawkins.

BotsMaster

2022 Sep Premiers
Jan 26, 2009
Cheat Park
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Everton, Cardinals
Hmm I think there's still improvement left in Dangerfield.

Frappe

Premiership Player
Jul 29, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
You might not buy it, but 5-5 in the second half year, and the way Tigers played with us in that prelim, suggests we are a bit off their pace. As is EVERY other team. So just not good enough is apt, Hawkins or no Hawkins.

I think it’s a cop out.
Tigers worthy winners but we blew a massive opportunity.

Commando

Club Legend
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Man Utd, AC Milan, Wolfsburg,

i must have been watching another game then

we were easily good enough to win that game, with Hawkins absolute certainties

Cronin

Cancelled
Jul 22, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Seattle Supersonics
Yeah, because we reverted back to our old ways post bye where we relied on too few to do too much.

Then when we got to the finals, what do you know another unprepared campaign with an unbalanced team and it took some individual efforts to give us a chance.

Same story, different day, which is a real shame because the first half of the year was as good as I've seen us play since 11'.

Back