C: S.CAMPOREALE - P.CRIPPS* - B.GIBBS
HF: A.KOUTOUFIDES - J.WAITE - M.LAPPIN
FF: E.BETTS - B.FEVOLA - L.WHITNALL
RR: M.KREUZER* - C.JUDD (c) - M.MURPHY*
INT: B.RATTEN - N.STEVENS - A.CARRAZZO - E.CURNOW*
COACH: DAVID PARKIN

Minimum 50 games qualification.

Thoughts?
No way Ratten is on the interchange with Gibbs starting. Pretty accurate I think.

Curnivore

Club Legend
Sep 4, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Shouldn't their be an asterisk next to E.Betts' name?

Also, can N.Stevens be omitted due to his off field behaviour?
Based on ability alone. If the AFL omitted legends based on actions such as coward punching, women hitting, heroin use, and shagging your team mates wives we would have to ignore the leagues greatest 3 players.

FB: K.SIMPSON* - M.JAMISON - S.DOCHERTY*
HB: A.MCKAY - L.JONES - H.SCOTLAND
C: S.CAMPOREALE - P.CRIPPS* - B.GIBBS HF: A.KOUTOUFIDES - J.WAITE - M.LAPPIN

Thoughts?
B Jones, Jamison, Touhy
HB Simpson, Weitering, Docherty
C Murphy, Koutoufides, Gibbs
HF Charlie Curnow, Whitnall, Houlihan
F Betts, Fevola, Lappin
R Kruezer, Cripps, Judd
INT E.Curnow, Ratten, Waite, Carrazzo

Out: McKay, Scotland, Campo, Stevens
In: Weitering, Touhy, Charlie Curnow, Houlihan,

B Jones, Jamison, Touhy
HB Simpson, Weitering, Docherty
C Murphy, Koutoufides, Gibbs
HF Charlie Curnow, Whitnall, Houlihan
F Betts, Fevola, Lappin
R Kruezer, Cripps, Judd
INT E.Curnow, Ratten, Waite, Carrazzo

Out: McKay, Scotland, Campo, Stevens
In: Weitering, Touhy, Charlie Curnow, Houlihan,
Can't agree with dropping Scotland for Tuohy at all. I think people forget just how bloody good Heath was. A league above Zach as a player IMO

Andypooh23

Team Captain
Aug 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm, Wizards

Thoughts?

Did Parkin Coach 50 games?

Why do we need Scotland when we already have Simmo and Docherty?

Touhy can play a shut down role if needed, Scotland couldn't.
By the same token, why do we need all 3 of Jamison/Weitering/Jones? Neither of them are third tall defenders and Jones is no lockdown back pocket if we're picking them to play roles in an actual game. Agree though that if you are after a small def to lockdown then Zach does do that better.

Scotland was a B&F winner, finished 2nd/3rd a couple of other times and was a more than capable midfielder if we didn't need him off half back. Unpopular opinion but I think on the basis of his whole career he merits a spot more than Docherty at this stage. Doc will inevitably overtake him assuming he comes back well but I don't think he's achieved what Scotto has yet

By the same token, why do we need all 3 of Jamison/Weitering/Jones? Neither of them are third tall defenders and Jones is no lockdown back pocket if we're picking them to play roles in an actual game. Agree though that if you are after a small def to lockdown then Zach does do that better.

Scotland was a B&F winner, finished 2nd/3rd a couple of other times and was a more than capable midfielder if we didn't need him off half back. Unpopular opinion but I think on the basis of his whole career he merits a spot more than Docherty at this stage. Doc will inevitably overtake him assuming he comes back well but I don't think he's achieved what Scotto has yet
Jones without Weitering? Thats a scary thought. Do we need all three? Of course we do. It's not as if all three aren't attacking. You'd get plenty of rebound and intercept marking from Jones and Weitering.

I'd take Weitering over Scotland every day of the week and twice on Tuesdays. Gun.

What has Scotland achieved? Good player in a terrible era. Knew how to get plenty of the ball which is an underrated skill. But he's not in the same class as All Australian Docherty and club legend Kade Simpson.

Jones without Weitering? Thats a scary thought. Do we need all three? Of course we do. It's not as if all three aren't attacking. You'd get plenty of rebound and intercept marking from Jones and Weitering.

I'd take Weitering over Scotland every day of the week and twice on Tuesdays. Gun.

What has Scotland achieved? Good player in a terrible era. Knew how to get plenty of the ball which is an underrated skill. But he's not in the same class as All Australian Docherty and club legend Kade Simpson.
I don't know where I said I would drop Weitering and I'm not concerned about a lack of rebound. I wouldn't be comparing Weitering to Scotland either because they are not even remotely the same kind of player and wouldn't play the same role. My point was that neither of the 3 are third tall defenders and as such I wouldn't see a matchup for all of them should they play a hypothetical game.

I also don't think the comment "good player in a terrible era" should be used against Scotland; you can say that about literally every player that has played for Carlton since the turn of the century. Everyone in this discussion is, to this point, a good player in a terrible era for the CFC.

Agree to disagree I think. I reckon we'll just keep going around in circles :)

Blue Warrior

Club Legend
Aug 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton

Thoughts?

No way Ratten starts on the bench and Craig Bradley gets a start in the 22 on the ball/wing.

curnow inferno

Team Captain
Nov 22, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Team of the 21st century with David Parkin as coach, doesn’t make a lot of sense. Having Ratten In the team when he only played 60 games for us this century doesn’t seem right either, he was well past his best.

not sure of your age but he still has 2 all australians and a best and fairest (in our best season) this century.... who does it make a lot of sense to have instead?

Also i couldnt make ratten coach as he is in the team. and all our other coaches have horrible records unfortunately.. maybe playing coach

Last edited:

Pafloyul

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2004
Somewhere else
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton

Thoughts?
I see you're not using the Gregorian Calendar.

Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
San Antonio, West Ham, Renegades
B: Zach Tuohy (120) - Michael Jamison (150) - Andrew McKay (65)
HB: Sam Docherty (79) - Liam Jones (59) - Kade Simpson (325)

R: Matthew Kreuzer (188) - Patrick Cripps (101) - Anthony Koutoufides (111)
C: Marc Murphy (268) - Chris Judd (145) - Bryce Gibbs (231)

HF: Matthew Lappin (147, 155) - Jarrad Waite (184, 252) - Jeff Garlett (107, 183)
F: Eddie Betts (184, 290) - Brendan Fevola (171, 549) - Lance Whitnall (125, 158)

I: Heath Scotland (215) - Andrew Walker (202) - Andrew Carrazzo (194) - Scott Camporeale (104)

Current players who will likely break into the team next
Jacob Weitering (76), Charlie Curnow (58) / Harry McKay (35), Sam Walsh (22)

The Ian PrenderCast

Senior List
Jun 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Team of the 21st century with David Parkin as coach, doesn’t make a lot of sense. Having Ratten In the team when he only played 60 games for us this century doesn’t seem right either, he was well past his best.
No issues with Ratts being there, his 2000 and 2001 seasons were great.

Parko only coached the one season... I get it's a bloody thin field thereafter. Maybe Ratts gets the gig as playing coach?

No issues with Ratts being there, his 2000 and 2001 seasons were great.

Parko only coached the one season... I get it's a bloody thin field thereafter. Maybe Ratts gets the gig as playing coach?
This is why teams of the century are chosen at the end of the century and not 20 years into it. Fast forward ten years and the composition of the team could be a lot different to what is today.

Hopefully in 5 years we will be declaring Teague as the stand out coach of this century at that point in time.

Back