FA Compo: What Gives?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Scott Lycett takes a 5 year 600k a year deal and the Eagles get an end of first round pick. Motlop takes a 4 year, 550k a year deal and the Cats get an end of first.

Today Brandon Ellis takes 5 years for 600k a year and the Tigers get pick 39. Cam Ellis Yolmen who has played 39 games in 8 years nets the Crows pick 46.

WTF? If you’re going to have compensation which I think is ridiculous (but that’s for another thread), how about some consistency in how it is awarded?

The Ellis one is just one example. There’s been other examples of the AFl clearly making it up as they go. The pick the Cats got couldn’t have been a more blatant move by the AFL to allow the Cats to get Ablett back.

Never seen a sports league make up things as they go like the AFL does. It’s so unprofessional.

Or how west coast got shafted when selwood left. Yes his career post FA turned to shite due to injury but just another scenario like above.

The afl continues to pick and choose who and when it wants to help. They play their own tune, saw you pick up Lynch for nothing last year which is probably the tipping point for the tiges walking away with the 2019 premiership and went well now we pull one back in the line of 'equalisation'

The system where your pick only comes after your pick in that round *s it up. It should just be wherever it works. If Adelaide wins the flag and we finish 10th or wherever they finished, we’d have gotten pick 30 odd for Ellis and they’d have gotten pick 55 for Ellis Yolmen, which makes far more sense.

Tbh a second rounder is fair for Ellis.

But I agree the system is weird. It should be entirely objective, no human judgement. And the compensation should come from the draft points of the club that receives the player.

Richmond just won the flag, beats me why their supporters are so angry about this, i would like to think that they getting Tom Lynch for free as a F/A last had something to do with this outcome.

Regardless of how they came to it, well done AFL House for getting it right on and fair for a change 👍👍👍

WTF? If you’re going to have compensation which I think is ridiculous (but that’s for another thread), how about some consistency in how it is awarded?

Really, it's hard to justify why it's offered at all. Players who leave due to free agency should attract no conpensation in terms of draft picks, and uncontracted players should not be tradeable currency.

If you're losing a player, tough sh*t, it's your loss. Use the free list spot and cap room to re-load and acquire someone else.

Gil spins around in his chair until he’s dizzy, catches a whiff of the Mabo vibe, counts how many steps it takes him to get to the lunch table then phones in the pick.

Lol..brilliant.

Wouldn’t be far from reality in how that nimrod runs things in that joint.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond just won the flag, beats me why their supporters are so angry about this, i would like to think that they getting Tom Lynch for free as a F/A last had something to do with this outcome.

Regardless of how they came to it, well done AFL House for getting it right on and fair for a change 👍👍👍
I don't think many Tiger supporters are particularly angry at all. I guess having the Cup at our club softens the blow... However if, as you say, they got it right 'for a change' it means it's unfair because we've been treated differently to everyone else.

Richmond just won the flag, beats me why their are so angry about this, i would like to think that they getting Tom Lynch for free as a F/A last had something to do with this outcome.

Get it right how so did the rules change from last year ? Or there made on the run that's why we're upset nothing to do with winning the flag.

I don't think many Tiger supporters are particularly angry at all. I guess having the Cup at our club softens the blow... However if, as you say, they got it right 'for a change' it means it's unfair because we've been treated differently to everyone else.

You are not the only club that seemingly has been screwed over by FA Compo.

Hawthorn only getting pick 19 for Buddy Franklin is by far the biggest farce of this convoluted system.

Yep...absolutely nothing else matters when you win two flags in 3 seasons.

You just brush it all aside, smile, pour a drink and enjoy the endless replays while everyone else squabbles over the other trivial crap.

I thought the contract was only part of the system. Fair enough too as I’d imagine Lycett would have received a first round in trade and I think this is roughly Ellis value as well. Consistency not there but came to the right conclusion.

Ultimately I think they are using as part of their entire equalisation system and don’t want to strengthen teams they deem don’t need it.

It has been an equalisation measure since the start basically.

That's why the "formula" has never been made public.

See Franklin compo v. Frawley compo.

See Motlop compo last year which was clearly handed out so we would just give it to GC for Ablett.

Its always been consistent that you get awarded a 'round pick' which occurs directly after your teams current pick in that round which was why the Franklin/Frawley picks ended up the way they did.

It should be phased out though as it really has run its course. I think maintain compo for teams that finish outside of the eight for a couple of years before scrapping it all together.

Its always been consistent that you get awarded a 'round pick' which occurs directly after your teams current pick in that round which was why the Franklin/Frawley picks ended up the way they did.

Yes but that is the equalisation intention of it. Otherwise they could have it as a priority pick before the first round, mid round pick or end of round pick and not tie it to the finishing position of the clubs at all.

It has been an equalisation measure since the start basically.

That's why the "formula" has never been made public.

See Franklin compo v. Frawley compo based on finishing positions.

See Motlop compo last year which was clearly handed out so we would just give it to GC for Ablett.
This.
If the AFL were open about it, it should be seen as an equalisation opportunity.

But just be transparent about it.
Don’t claim to apply this magic formula that varies from one player and club to another.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back