Nov 22, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
CHANGES AT END OF 2023 SEASON:
INS: ROZEE, BUTTERS, HOUSTON, ALIIR
OUTS: EBERT, WAKELIN, STEVENS
SUB: MONTGOMERY

CHANGES AT END OF 2021 SEASON:
Positional Change: Wines to centre. Cassisi to interchange.

CHANGES AT END OF 2020 SEASON:
IN: BYRNE-JONES
OUT: CHAPLIN

FBG.WANGANEENA.ALIIR*T.JONAS
HBD.HOUSTON*C.CORNESD.BYRNE-JONES*
CS.BURGOYNEO.WINES*P.BURGOYNE
HFR.GRAYW.TREDREA (c)J.WESTHOFF
FFC.WINGARDJ.SCHULZD.MOTLOP
RRM.PRIMUS (vc)K.CORNEST.BOAK*
INTC.ROZEE*B.LADED.CASSISIZ.BUTTERS*
COACH:MARK WILLIAMSSUB:B.MONTGOMERY

Minimum 50 games qualification.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
FB: T.CHAPLIN - D.WAKELIN - T.JONAS*
HB: G.WANGANEEN - C.CORNES - B.MONTGOMERY
C: S.BURGOYNE - D.CASSISI - P.BURGOYNE
HF: R.GRAY* - W.TREDREA (c) - J.WESTHOFF*
FF: C.WINGARD - J.SCHULZ - D.MOTLOP
RR: M.PRIMUS (vc) - K.CORNES - T.BOAK*
INT: B.LADE - BRA.EBERT* - N.STEVENS - O.WINES*
COACH: MARK WILLIAMS

Minimum 50 games qualification.

Thoughts?
No Cassisi or Jonas..

... Wait Chaplin... 😬

Cassisi as starting centre plus a backline of Chaplin and Jonas.

Ok mate where did you put Bootsma in your Carlton team of the 21st century

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Guess it's time for one of us to put a similarly silly Team of the 21st Century on the Carlton page. Ian Prendergast anyone?

i guess it's true what they say about port supporters...

That they don't have any time for people who don't know what they're talking about?

Naming Troy Chaplin in your PA team of the century would go down about as well as naming Justin Murphy in a Carlton team of the century.

Last edited:
FF Wingard, Schulz, Lade
HF James, Tredrea, R Gray
C P Burgoyne, Carr, Schofield
HB Wanganeen, C Cornes, Montgomery
FB Wilson, Wakelin, Jonas

Primus
Boak
Francou

INT Westhoff, K Cornes, Cassisi, Pickett

EMERG Dew

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My initial reaction to this sort of thing is:

The team of the 21st century are the 22 who lined up grand final day 2004. We've achieved * all else so nobody else qualifies

However, after giving it some thought I would start with those players then make room for Primus, Boak, Robbie Gray, Wingard, Shulz - dropping Brogan, Schofield, Toby Thurstans, Kingsley and Mahoney

Why are you doing this best team thing on every board? Some strange cats on bigfooty.

in 2013, i was part of a team of people who were publishing a book on AFL in the 21st century and this was one section of it. we never ended up getting published because a few of the main people pulled out halfway through (like i should have with this exercise) but i just kept continuing to update it every year anyway.

Last edited:
FF Wingard, Schulz, Lade
HF James, Tredrea, R Gray
C P Burgoyne, Carr, Schofield
HB Wanganeen, C Cornes, Montgomery
FB Wilson, Wakelin, Jonas

Primus
Boak
Francou

INT Westhoff, K Cornes, Cassisi, Pickett

EMERG Dew

Good team.
I would swap Schoey and Choppy's positions, ditto with Blade and Hoff, and bring in Mead for Chappy.

in 2013, i was part of a team of people who were publishing a book on AFL in the 21st century and this was one section of it. we never ended up getting published because a few of the main people pulled out halfway through (like i should have with this exercise) but i just kept continuing to update it every year anyway.

PS: I've noticed the supporters of clubs who have really good teams like geelong, hawthorn and brisbane have responded really positively but the poorer teams have been quite aggressive :drunk:
We're sensitive to how s**t we've been for so long and when you include the likes of Troy Chaplin you come across as taking the piss.

Edit: I've gone back and looked over the thread again. You're very thin skinned if you found the responses aggressive.

Last edited:
I had what I think is a proper go at this.

FB: G WANGANEEN - D WAKELIN - M BROADBENT
HB: M WILSON - D MEAD - C CORNES
C: S BURGOYNE - T BOAK - J WESTHOFF
HF: C WINGARD - W TREDREA (c) - S DEW
FF: B LADE - J SCHULZ - R GRAY

RR: M PRIMUS (vc) - K CORNES - P BURGOYNE
INT: D BROGAN - BRA EBERT - D CASSISI - J CARR
COACH: MARK WILLIAMS

PS: I've noticed the supporters of clubs who have really good teams like geelong, hawthorn and brisbane have responded really positively but the poorer teams have been quite aggressive :drunk:

This actually makes complete sense, but probably not for the reasons you think.

The teams that have been good have had their players in the public eye, so they are much easier to get looking correct without much research. So even by doing a lazy, half assed job, you can say Josh Gibson and people are going to agree with you and give you a positive response.

To get the s**t teams right, you actually need to do real research and spend much more time on them to get correct - you can't just look at basic stats and expect them to fit together. So the same lazy half assed method applied to the s**t teams gives you laughable lists like this one, which is why you're getting a negative (not aggressive) response.

Like I said, I did get a laugh out of it though, so thanks, no aggressiveness from me whatsoever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back