Opinion Geelong Team of the 21st Century

Remove this Banner Ad

Not putting Brad Ottens in there must have been an oversight...please tell me it was?? I would have Podsiadly in front of Mooney at CHF
King won an all australian as first ruck. Ottens never got close to all australian whilst at geelong. In saying that its about line ball for me.

The problem is who do you leave out of this lineup for Mackie?

B: Stewart Lonergan Scarlett
HB: Milburn Taylor Enright

That group is pretty unbelievable really. We really have been blessed with some incredible defenders over the last two decades.
Stewart may well overtake Mackie but on performance x longevity Mackie should be in before him.

B. Scarlett, lonergan, j.kelly
Hb stewart, taylor, enright.
C bartel, Dangerfield, corey
Hf johnson, mooney. Chapman
F menzel, hawkins, motlop
R ottens, selwood, ablett
Inter. Riccardi, t. Kelly, king, rooke.

Could of been easily in: milburn, b.graham, harley, egan, duncan, burns. There are a lot of great defenders.

Team is not based on longevity at the club but based on players overall abilities when they were fit. Even if they played only half a season at that level.

Stewart has two all australians and is regarded as one of the best defenders in the comp. he has long overtaken mackie.

Mackie wasnt all that great.
Arrant nonsense.

Arrant nonsense.
Yes blow away facts as nonsense because you cant respond to them with facts. You have always been very anti stewart since he arrived at the club. But stewart is a duel all australian now and both selections were automatic ones. No one questioned them. Not like mackies single all australian where he was very lucky to sneak in and there was a lot of debate about whether he should of been in.

Stewart will go down alongside scarlett and enright when his career is done. He may well end up being ranked a better player then enright.

Yes blow away facts as nonsense because you cant respond to them with facts. You have always been very anti stewart since he arrived at the club. But stewart is a duel all australian now and both selections were automatic ones. Not like mackies single all australian where he was very lucky to sneak in.

Stewart will go down alongside scarlett and enright when his career is done. He may well end up being ranked a better player then enright.
Wondered when you'd get to your usual nonsense about Enright.:rolleyes:

If he has played one season he has played enough. He already has two all australians ffs.
It was more that Sanderson and Sholl would be locks as they played elite for more years and Stewart only come into the system last 2

B Sholl, Scarlett, Milburn
HB Sanderson, Taylor, Enright
C Bartel, Selwood, Riccardi
HF Chapman, Graham, Mooney
F Ablett, Hawkins, Johnson
R King, Dangerfield, Corey
Int Ottens, Kelly, Mackie, Wojcinski

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stokes and mackie just no. Stokes wasnt even good enough to play in the 2009 gf and his 2008 appearance is one of the all time shockers. Burns, riccardi and motlop are levels above stokes.
Mackie grossly underrated by you. He was one of the engineers of our defence. To overlook him at this stage (19 years into the century) would be a travesty.

B Sholl, Scarlett, Milburn
HB Sanderson, Taylor, Enright
C Bartel, Selwood, Riccardi
HF Chapman, Graham, Mooney
F Ablett, Hawkins, Johnson
R King, Dangerfield, Corey
Int Ottens, Kelly, Mackie, Wojcinski
Sholl? No!!!

B. Scarlett, lonergan, j.kelly
Hb stewart, taylor, enright.
C bartel, Dangerfield, corey
Hf johnson, mooney. Chapman
F menzel, hawkins, motlop
R ottens, selwood, ablett
Inter. Riccardi, t. Kelly, king, rooke.

Could of been easily in: milburn, b.graham, harley, egan, duncan, burns. There are a lot of great defenders.

Team is not based on longevity at the club but based on players overall abilities when they were fit. Even if they played only half a season at that level.

Milburn is WAY in front of Rooke. By a street. Rooke’s mystique and legacy is growing exponentially year on year. He was a Jack Dyer would say, “a good, ordinary player”. Milburn was a star.

Edit: And Mackie gets in too.

Last edited:
Yes blow away facts as nonsense because you cant respond to them with facts. You have always been very anti stewart since he arrived at the club. But stewart is a duel all australian now and both selections were automatic ones. No one questioned them. Not like mackies single all australian where he was very lucky to sneak in and there was a lot of debate about whether he should of been in.

This is so silly.

I can understand selecting Stewart over Mackie - I did so myself - but to denigrate Mackie's overall ability and his contribution to the club demonstrates a failure to recognise excellence when you see it. He's not someone I'll put down as an all-time great like Enright but let's not get this twisted: Mackie was a gun. One of the best attacking half-backs in the comp for a long time, and defensively the times when he was beaten were few and far between. How often did his direct opponent rip him to shreds? It barely happened. Sure, he wasn't Enright-level in his impenetrability, but his defensive record was still pretty darn good. He also had the added bonus of being able to play on many different types of player. At a push he could even take the talls - I recall he took Buddy a couple of times and did a more than decent job.

Also Mackie's AA wasn't lucky. It was overdue.

Our golden era small forwards are being hugely underrated in this thread. We were the best attacking team in the comp by a mile and had the best forwardline in the comp by a mile across 2007-11. Varcoe and Stokes were a bit part of that. Not a coincidence.

FB: T.STEWART* - M.SCARLETT - T.HARLEY (c)
HB: C.ENRIGHT - H.TAYLOR* - D.MILBURN
C: J.BARTEL - J.SELWOOD* (vc) - J.COREY
HF: P.CHAPMAN - C.MOONEY - S.JOHNSON
FF: S.MOTLOP - T.HAWKINS* - R.BURNS
RR: S.KING - P.DANGERFIELD* - G.ABLETT*
INT: C.LING - M.BLICAVS* - B.GRAHAM - J.KELLY
COACH: MARK THOMPSON

Minimum 50 games qualification.

I think Geelong's is the best of all the teams. Especially considering players the calibre of duncan, sanderson, riccardi and mackie just to name a few who missed out but would be a walk up in almost every other team.

I tried to play everyone in position so the forward pockets are not at the same standard as the other positions but I don't like the idea of taking out the gun on ballers to cover those spots.
Cool man. Appreciate it.
Id put Riccardi in though in for probs Motlop.
Also Brad Sholl has to be in there. Probably for Stewart or Milburn.
Technically Buddha should be in there but f*k it, he'd be in every 90's team for everything.

Not as nonsensical as his repeated efforts to sneak Burns into the discussion.:rolleyes:

I'd say the nomination of Menzel in the starting 18 is also up there - I'm a massive Menzel fan & wear his number, but 4 x ACLs ruined his career and we never got to see him at his best. What we saw from him back in 2011 was a tease of what was to come but we really didn't get to see the next step - then when he finally overcome his injuries & made it back onto the field for a sustained period, there was something missing and he not a sustained impact across the season.

Saying no to Stokes & Mackie but yes to Menzel doesn't really add up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back