News Former Cricket Australia CEO James Sutherland joins Cats board.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll say it again, A person who was directly involved in cheating us out of a premiership is now a director on our board.
Do you remember that day? Obviously not.
He should not be allowed inside the stadium.
It's unbelievable.
Carlton "finance manager" from the mid 90's is appointed onto our board... if it wasn't so infuriating it would be hilarious! You couldn't make this s**t up! Lol

What happened to the clubs integrity?

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Everyone needs to chill. For some of the keyboard warriors on here to suggest they're better placed to make decisions around board appointments and corporate governance requirements of an AFL club is laughable. Were you involved in developing the selection criteria or conducting the interviews?

Any suggestion that due process wasn't followed and the football club just blindly appoints people to board positions is ignorance in the extreme. Boards, at any level are bound by very strict operational and procedural protocols - no different at BHP than it is at GFC. Current board members are not going to expose themselves to prosecution and professional liability by just making a seat available for any muppet that doesn't know what he's doing.

Feel free to share your own corporate credentials if that's not the case.

Football clubs and sporting organisations are run to nowhere near the rigour followed by a commercial entity, which is why constant non performers like this bloke wind up getting jobs due to their connections rather than performance. Based on his work at CA he should be nowhere near a position of power anywhere, let alone the Carlton connection.

As far as the protocols go, they are decided by the entity and BHP is subject to strict controls because it is a publicly listed company which has disclosure obligations to the ASX and other exchanges. GFC is not subject to those controls, only the usual board rules which are very loosely enforced.

Keyboard warrior here, MBA and teach post-graduate business and strategy.

juzcat

All Australian
Sep 15, 2007
Singapore
AFL Club
Geelong
Hawks Essendon and North all cheated the cap to win premierships and those were just the clubs caught its rumored that half the comp cheated on player payments under the table 80s/90s thats why AFL didnt strip clubs of premierships.
Does it make it right that they weren't caught..I mean that is the whole Armstrong argument..everyone else was doping so I was just like the rest of the field. Not against his appointment perse unless we have proof he was in the trail. The age article certainly has a smoking gun feel to it. How did he not get prosecuted in some way I wonder. How was that legitimised when CA and GFC did thier DD.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

maxy87

Club Legend
Feb 3, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
For those interested, Gideon Haigh wrote a book called “Crossing the Line”, published last year in the wake of the sandpaper scandal. An interesting read, and a decent synopsis of the damage that has been caused to Australian cricket between 2007-2017, largely by a self serving, inept and unaccountable Executive. James Sutherland was the CE of Cricket Australia throughout this entire period. I’ll leave it at that

Not sure how I feel about this. Hardly presided over a good period for CA...
Yeah .. I was bouyant at first but also not really aware of his history. Perhaps best to think half full and given the s**t storms he's been thru that he's well aware what not to do the second time around should the situation arise again?

GO Catters

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Does it make it right that they weren't caught..I mean that is the whole Armstrong argument..everyone else was doping so I was just like the rest of the field. Not against his appointment perse unless we have proof he was in the trail. The age article certainly has a smoking gun feel to it. How did he not get prosecuted in some way I wonder. How was that legitimised when CA and GFC did thier DD.

My immediate thought when they announced the appointment was that he must have an incredible gift of the gab to be able to con the Board into overlooking his dreadful list of *-ups.

catman2006

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 15, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sunderland & Penrith

Dare say AFL couldnt as it would open a can of worms to just about every club, and the board of directors would have completed DD on Sutherland and would have been happy to sign off....

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
My immediate thought when they announced the appointment was that he must have an incredible gift of the gab to be able to con the Board into overlooking his dreadful list of fu**-ups.

Makes you wonder if they just read the job titles on his resume, and not its substance.

He's left a trail of poor performances in his wake.

It's hard to identify a role that he's executed successfully, and with integrity.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Carlton "finance manager" from the mid 90's is appointed onto our board... if it wasn't so infuriating it would be hilarious! You couldn't make this s**t up! Lol

What happened to the clubs integrity?
This board would be going nuts if all 3 mods weren't trying to downplay this as nothing. If the mods went nuts (as they should) everyone on here would follow.

Big question marks on the mods integrity right now. This is reaching flash point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
He cheated and cost our club a flag ffs.
I know man. It's unbelievably f**ked. But I'm sorry no-one gives a s**t. I've learned lately the club started in 2007.
There is no club that you love. It's just the current admin.
If you don't suck hard down on there big sausage your a Richmond troll.
You don't go for Geelong anymore. This is a new club, I mean sorry, buisness.
If you don't like it you will not be missed. Trust me.

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
This board would be going nuts if all 3 mods weren't trying to downplay this as nothing. If the mods went nuts (as they should) everyone on here would follow.

Big question marks on the mods integrity right now. This is reaching flash point.

Geez Seeds....... I can't see how the mods have anything to do with it, or any of us here.

The real responsibility for the decision lays with those who put him forward, interviewed him, and rubber stamped his appointment.

If those should be held to account, then so be it. But it starts with the members of the GFC, not a bunch of enthusiasts on BF.

Calling into question the integrity of the mods is harsh, and of no correlation imo. They are entitled to a personal opinion.

I respect your opinion, but I think you're going down the wrong path here.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Geez Seeds....... I can't see how the mods have anything to do with it, or any of us here.

The real responsibility for the decision lays with those who put him forward, interviewed him, and rubber stamped his appointment.

If those should be held to account, then so be it. But it starts with the members of the GFC, not a bunch of enthusiasts on BF.

Calling into question the integrity of the mods is harsh, and of no correlation imo. They are entitled to a personal opinion.

I respect your opinion, but I think you're going down the wrong path here.
Don't pussy out! If you think it's wrong just say it's wrong. Who cares.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm not??

I just can't see how personal opinions here are relevant....... The decision was made at a much higher level than us, so if anyone should be questioned that's where we start.
I know you know it's wrong. Anyone who's loved the club for a certain period of time knows too.
Why f**k around? What's the point??? Anyone who accepts it has no balls.

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
I know you know it's wrong. Anyone who's loved the club for a certain period of time knows too.
Why f**k around? What's the point??? Anyone who accepts it has no balls.

I don't agree with his appointment, no. I've said as much.

But I don't see how / why that relates to the integrity of our mods. That's all.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
I get that.

Just not getting the correlation to attacking the mods here........
Yeah. But for me I don't get anyone who defends it and don't see them of any sort of supporter of the club at all.
That's where I'm at. That's where I stand on it I guess.

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah. But for me I don't get anyone who defends it and don't see them of any sort of supporter of the club at all.
That's where I'm at. That's where I stand on it I guess.

I respect that.

But remember someone, somewhere will always have a differing view.

Sometimes it's hard to comprehend or justify, but differing views are an important ingredient to the distillation process that identifies the truth of a matter.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
I respect that.

But remember someone, somewhere will always have a differing view.

Sometimes it's hard to comprehend or justify, but differing views are an important ingredient to the distillation process that identifies the truth of a matter.
Absolutely. I'm usually the first one to say it.
But on this one, yeah I dunno.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back