Team Captain
Apr 9, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Melbourne, Golden State Warriors
- Guaranteed double ups between Carlton, Essendon, and Collingwood
- Teams don't play each other only in round 1, or only in round 23
- Collingwood plays Sydney at the MCG (haven't seen that since 2013)
- A Friday night Derby and/or Showdown
- Most importantly, get rid of the "weighted" garbage and focus on making the fixture EVEN. That is, roughly the same difficulty for every team.

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
West Coast at Subiaco
Looks like a tough ask
43BCE5C7-14C1-41AF-96A5-C3759813FA7D.jpeg

Oct 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Geelong at KP
West Coast at Subiaco
Essendon at Windy Hill
Collingwood at Vic Park

Time to shut the whinging campaigners up, then see what crap excuses they come up with.

The problem is you sooked relentlessly when you had to play an away game away. Absolutely ridiculous complaining, how the hell you could complain was mind boggling.

We beat you in your premiership year at our ground and boy the tears were wild for a while there.

Tiger Mopsy

Team Captain
Apr 14, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Manchester City
The problem is you sooked relentlessly when you had to play an away game away. Absolutely ridiculous complaining, how the hell you could complain was mind boggling.

We beat you in your premiership year at our ground and boy the tears were wild for a while there.

Was nothing compared to the tears shed by Cat fans having to play a final at the MCG.

Mr north man

Premiership Player
Mar 12, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
At least 4 games at the MCG would be nice. Getting only 1 or 2 isn't fair when every final we play in victoria would be there
Only way North would get a real Home Final if we are drawn to play the Suns or GWS at Marvel any Victorian Final would be played at the MCG unless its Geelong who are the home team I could see the AFL putting us at they ground

dylan93

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
No they don't but they do and until the AFL let go of having same state non vic teams play each other twice, they will continue to play each other twice.

So out of Coll, Rich and Gee, who do think you will play twice.

Probably Tiges or Pies. At least that way there's probably 17 H&A games to attend in Melbourne for me next year.

BIRDBRAIN

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
What is amazing me is every other team cry out to play games at the MCG, where the finals and the Grand Final are played, Geelong are screaming not to play there, to not play in front of the big crowds, to play 11 home games on a pencil-dick shaped junior oval in front of 25K and then their home finals aswell. I think if they really truly want it they should have it, but why do they want it? If I were them, with the MCG 50 minutes down the road I would not be giving up part-tennancy at the MCG for anything. The experience and familiarity it gives them at that ground is invaluable, beating up teams on a peculiar shaped ground in front of a parochial small home crowd is great, but it won't win you a flag or even put you in the mentality that you can go to the MCG and win a flag.

TimothyJ23

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well you suggested that Geelong never host any MCG tenant which is absurd...
I think you misunderstood.

I suggested if Geelong want to play all 11 home games at Kardinia Park then they will have to give up hosting Collingwood at home.

In the last 20 years, the average crowd between the clubs is 60,064. That's 25k MORE than the South Geelong paddock can hold.

Until Letters Stadium can expand its capacity to at least 50k, Geelong should expect a minimum of two games against big Melbourne clubs to be moved to the city.

Feb 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
I think you misunderstood.

I suggested if Geelong want to play all 11 home games at Kardinia Park then they will have to give up hosting Collingwood at home.

In the last 20 years, the average crowd between the clubs is 60,064. That's 25k MORE than the South Geelong paddock can hold.

Until Letters Stadium can expand its capacity to at least 50k, Geelong should expect a minimum of two games against big Melbourne clubs to be moved to the city.
No need to worry, their CEO has already meekly rolled over and accepted 9 home games again.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
In the last 20 years, the average crowd between the clubs is 60,064. That's 25k MORE than the South Geelong paddock can hold
I don’t have access to the data, but I dare say that the average crowd for Geelong home games v Collingwood (excluding finals and ALL pies home games for the fairest comparison) would be lower than 60k.

I don’t have access to the data, but I dare say that the average crowd for Geelong home games v Collingwood (excluding finals and ALL pies home games for the fairest comparison) would be lower than 60k.

Average Geelong HOME crowds Vs Collingwood since 1997 (H&A season only) is 58,594.

According to AFL tables:

Yes-- it's lower than 60k, but still significantly higher than the capacity of GMHBA stadium.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Average Geelong HOME crowds Vs Collingwood since 1997 (H&A season only) is 58,594.

According to AFL tables:

Yes-- it's lower than 60k, but still significantly higher than the capacity of GMHBA stadium.
Higher than I thought...thought it’d be a tad under 50k.

A crowd of 35k makes more money for Geelong than a 60k crowd at the MCG. Additionally the 25k locked out would be majority Pies and Neutrals which the club wouldn’t care about. The AFL does, the club doesn’t.

Once Stage 5 is done (Capacity goes up to 40k) will be interesting to see if the State Gov starts flexing and tells the AFL to schedule 11 games there.

Higher than I thought...thought it’d be a tad under 50k.

A crowd of 35k makes more money for Geelong than a 60k crowd at the MCG. Additionally the 25k locked out would be majority Pies and Neutrals which the club wouldn’t care about. The AFL does, the club doesn’t.

Once Stage 5 is done (Capacity goes up to 40k) will be interesting to see if the State Gov starts flexing and tells the AFL to schedule 11 games there.

How often does the Cats get 35k @ Kardinia? Compare that to how often the Cats get 60k @ the MCG?

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
How often does the Cats get 35k @ Kardinia? Compare that to how often the Cats get 60k @ the MCG?
Leading question. How often do the Pies get above 50k against interstate teams and North/Bulldogs/Saints? Because those are the only clubs we play down here.

No reason why Pies/Dons/tigers/Hawks wouldn’t be at capacity.

Leading question. How often do the Pies get above 50k against interstate teams and North/Bulldogs/Saints? Because those are the only clubs we play down here.

No reason why Pies/Dons/tigers/Hawks wouldn’t be at capacity.

Last time Geelong played any of those teams down there was Richmond in 2017.

The crowd that day was 32,266.

if you’re going to REPEATEDLY make the claim that ‘Geelong makes more from a 35k crowd at Kardinia, then they make from a 60k crowd at the MCG’— at least make the claim for a crowd figure that Geelong can achieve at Kardinia at least once a year.

Back