Opinion Dustin Martin is better than Dangerfield

Remove this Banner Ad

what was dustys attitude like during his goat season?
That's kind of my point. Wouldn't you have liked to see that attitude early this year when Richmond needed players to stand up and not just when things are going well? Attitude and effort shouldn't be conditional.
He gave Razor a spray and that was just about the only time he did it all season
He chose to indulge himself at the teams expense. I'm not hanging him for it, just highlighting it as an example of how he's not the ultimate team player that Tiger fans beat him up to be

You can argue who's the better footballer till the cows come home, but the biggest thing Danger has over Dusty is attitude. Danger gives 100% from the first to last bounce, every single week. Dusty turns it on when he's in the mood, but when the chips are down he often looks less motivated. When Richmond were struggling early in the year and they needed players to stand up, he was at his worst. He's egotistical at times, e.g. In the GF he chose to blatantly abuse the umpire knowing that he would give away 50m, but didn't care because he was pi**ed off a call went against him. He was also getting into Danger in the prelim when the Cats were on top and he (Dusty) was struggling to get into the game. He only shows this side when things aren't going well for him. It's pure ego and entitlement.

He doesn't chase and isn't a big tackler. He relies on his teammates to do the dirty work, but sometimes the team needs you to get your hands dirty too. He gets away with it because Richmond have enough players to cover for him, but he's basically taking advantage of it. There's a reason he dropped to 6th in the B&F and it's not because he's 'the ultimate team player'.

danger didnt give 100 per cent in that prelim, i can assure you that :3. shat his panties when the team needed him. dusty stepped up.

That's kind of my point. Wouldn't you have liked to see that attitude early this year when Richmond needed players to stand up and not just when things are going well? Attitude and effort shouldn't be conditional.

He chose to indulge himself at the teams expense. I'm not hanging him for it, just highlighting it as an example of how he's not the ultimate team player that Tiger fans beat him up to be

No one said he was the ultimate team player. You just made that up out of thin air to suit your argument. Id rather a player that steps up in big fianls and wins the game rather than another 'team player'. Dusty has ripped two separate finals series to shreds. Danger has choked in every one. If you hadnt noticed the rest of 21 tigers are team players, dusty doesnt need to be 100 per cent team first.

If you want to say danger is better player because he lays a couple more tackles than dusty or chases a couple times more, go for it but its a rertarded argument like your OP.

You can argue who's the better footballer till the cows come home, but the biggest thing Danger has over Dusty is attitude. Danger gives 100% from the first to last bounce, every single week. Dusty turns it on when he's in the mood, but when the chips are down he often looks less motivated. When Richmond were struggling early in the year and they needed players to stand up, he was at his worst. He's egotistical at times, e.g. In the GF he chose to blatantly abuse the umpire knowing that he would give away 50m, but didn't care because he was pi**ed off a call went against him. He was also getting into Danger in the prelim when the Cats were on top and he (Dusty) was struggling to get into the game. He only shows this side when things aren't going well for him. It's pure ego and entitlement.

He doesn't chase and isn't a big tackler. He relies on his teammates to do the dirty work, but sometimes the team needs you to get your hands dirty too. He gets away with it because Richmond have enough players to cover for him, but he's basically taking advantage of it. There's a reason he dropped to 6th in the B&F and it's not because he's 'the ultimate team player'.
Funniest s**t ive read in a long time.

Dusty has an attitude and is egotistical when compared to Danger. Definate troll post. Well done lol

Brownlow votes: 2015-2019

Danger polled votes in:
11 of 21 games (6-4-1)
8 of 21 games (2-5-1)
13 of 21 games (7-6-0)
15 of 22 games (9-2-4)
9 of 21 games (5-3-1)
Total: votes in 56 of 106 games (29-20-7)

Dusty polled votes in:
9 of 20 games (7-0-2)
9 of 21 games (2-6-1)
14 of 22 games (11-0-3)
11 of 22 games (6-2-3)
10 of 22 games (3-5-2)
Total: votes in 53 of 107 games (29-13-11)

Thats not what I asked.
The question was "can you enlighten us on what is an "all round" footballer, and how it applies to Danger and Dusty."
If you do not know what an allround footballer. What may I ask are you doing on a FOOTBALL forum. Now because I never took this Post seriously ...it's a complete wank. I will just say BOTH are dam good footballers that both sides would be happy to have on board. Their a little different but that is good for the game. So I am bored with this and will move on cheers .

Dusty doesnt tackle?
How do you differentiate between a tackle and broken tackle?

No one said he was the ultimate team player. You just made that up out of thin air to suit your argument.
The ultimate? Maybe not, but it's been claimed numerous times in this thread that Dusty is a great team player and Danger only plays for himself.
Id rather a player that steps up in big fianls and wins the game rather than another 'team player'. Dusty has ripped two separate finals series to shreds. Danger has choked in every one. If you hadnt noticed the rest of 21 tigers are team players, dusty doesnt need to be 100 per cent team first.
You can be a gun player and still do basic things like chase and tackle. There's no reason not to, as Danger has shown. It's fine not to when you're winning but doesn't look so hot when you're not, hence why commentators were criticising Martin earlier in the year.
If you want to say danger is better player because he lays a couple more tackles than dusty or chases a couple times more, go for it but its a rertarded argument like your OP.
I didn't say it's the reason Danger is a better player, I didn't even say that one is better than the other, I'm just saying it's an element of Danger's game that is far better than Martin's. Nick Riewoldt talked about having certain teammates who you could trust were going to be switched on and give 100% every game, and having others who you were hoping would be on. Danger is one type and Dusty is more of the other.

It’s lebron like, cruise through the regular season being still a super player, but when the bright lights of playoffs/finals come on they show why they’re the best.

Dusty has a long way to go to reach Lebron longevity tho.

LeBron is famous for underperforming and losing in the finals

I'll say 2 things against the grain here:
-reckon it should be Dusty 1 NS, Bachar 1 NS.
-Dusty's defensive 'running' is appalling, straight up doesn't go, not sure how Danger goes with that side of his game?
I don't disagree with you, but I think it's more because he knows that defensive running isn't his strong point and he has such trust in the team that he can set up in a position that will cause more damage than he would have had he run. Bit of a cop out excuse really, but I believe it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm taking Garry Hocking over Patrick Dangerfield myself.
Buddha was a great kick on either foot. Probably directly assisted 200 goals to Ablett Snr and he was a brilliant clearance winner.
Not as spectacular as Dangerfield, and was prone to going missing in big games but he was one of Geelong's greatest ever midfielders. Underrated when you look at it.

Martin's just a rolls royce.
One of the most brilliant midfielders of his generation. A one touch footballer who also uses his high footy IQ to get the better of his opponent opposed to athleticism by Dangerfield.
Agree on the bolded part ... Dusty has a very high IQ and reads the play better than nearly anyone I've seen.

I'd take Martin ahead of Dangerfield, but the role that the Richmond team as a whole play in Dustin Martin being the player that he is can't be undersold.

Very strong defensive structures and great accountability allow Martin to break forward in most stoppage situations while simply backing the rest of the team to cut the ball off and apply enough pressure to make up for him.

It's also why Richmond struggle more than they normally do against other teams with similar frenetic pressure where the defensive work that Martin could be doing makes a difference. I reckon they're probably pretty happy that they never had to play the Doggies in an elimination final.

The ultimate? Maybe not, but it's been claimed numerous times in this thread that Dusty is a great team player and Danger only plays for himself.
You can be a gun player and still do basic things like chase and tackle. There's no reason not to, as Danger has shown. It's fine not to when you're winning but doesn't look so hot when you're not, hence why commentators were criticising Martin earlier in the year.

I didn't say it's the reason Danger is a better player, I didn't even say that one is better than the other, I'm just saying it's an element of Danger's game that is far better than Martin's. Nick Riewoldt talked about having certain teammates who you could trust were going to be switched on and give 100% every game, and having others who you were hoping would be on. Danger is one type and Dusty is more of the other.
Martin is a much better kick than Dangerfield. It would be a bad coach that had Martin tackling instead of breaking through traffic and kicking. However, Dangerfield is much better getting in and under and releasing the ball to a better kick, or tackling if he doesn’t gain first possession.
It’s nothing at all to do with whether you’re a “team player” or not.

I think they're both sensational players.

Dusty a better kick.

Danger a better mark.

Dusty takes the cake for me due to his dominant performances in big games. Need to concede he was injured in the 2018 prelim and the Tigers were cooked for the year, but ultimately he has a superior finals record to Danger.

I think the best post in this read ( and i cant be bothered finding it - seeing there is 128 pages - lol ) - and it wasnt a biased Rich or Geel supporter - it was a neutral

And the poster said they would pick Martin - if it was for a top side - so eg Richmond who are in Premiership mode - you would pick Martin - he is an elite kick - super dangerous around the goals - and so strong - built like a rugby league player - Laurie Daley mark 2 actually - and even got his fend off

However in a poor team they said they would pick Dangerfield - and i agree with that - so if you are picking someone for the Suns - i would pick Danger over Dusty - - Danger with that explosive pace - he would be doing alot of the heavy grunt work - even if at times if he hacks the ball forward - hes moving the ball your way - i think he would be more use to you in a poor team than Martin would be

Remove this Banner Ad

Back